Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MATILDA MARSHALL/GREEN/BASS BORN 1828 WIMBISH

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Jan 2016 20:23

I have visited Debden in Essex to see where my great grandparents lived. The National Burial Index transcription Essex Society of Family HIstory tells me that my great grandmother Matilda Bass was buried at St Mary's Church in Debden in 21st January 1881. Try as I might I just cannot find a death certificate for her. Was there a period in our history at that time where bodies could be buried without certification. I have her marriage certificate from to my great grandfather George Bass when she was a widow Matilda Green. Then at least six children later and before the 1811 census she was buried. Any advice please.?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jan 2016 21:07

have you dismissed this one??

Is it close to Debden? Could she have been visiting?

Deaths Mar 1881 (>99%)
Bass Matilda 53 Edmonton 3a 151

and to answer your question ................. bodies have had to be buried with certification since registration began on July 1 1837.

Although, no doubt some might have slipped through the net

OR the information was not sent from the local registry office to GRO, or was lost on the way.

You might have to check with the registry Office that handled Debden deaths in 1881.

malyon

malyon Report 11 Jan 2016 21:07

this matilda is born 1828

Bass Deaths Mar 1881 Matilda 53 Edmonton 3a 151

could have died in different area to where she lived

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Jan 2016 21:32

The problem is that the Edmonton Death was after the date of burial! so I have had to rule that out.

malyon

malyon Report 11 Jan 2016 21:37

that death in Edmonton is for January -march quarter

malyon

malyon Report 11 Jan 2016 21:59

Event Type Census
Event Date 1881
Event Place Debden, Essex, England
Registration District Saffron Walden
Residence Note Debden Village
Gender Male
Age 17
Marital Status (Original) Single
Occupation Agl Lab
Relationship to Head of Household Son
Birth Year (Estimated) 1864
Birthplace Debden, Essex, England
Page Number 3
Registration Number RG11
Piece/Folio 1816/48
Affiliate Record Type Household

Household

Role

Birthplace

George Bass Head M 51 Debden, Essex, England
William Bass Son M 17 Debden, Essex, England
Fanny Bass Daughter F 14 Debden, Essex, England
Elizabeth Bass Daughter F 11 Debden, Essex, England
Emma Bass Daughter F 8 Debden, Essex, England

Henry Bass

England and Wales Census, 1871

Name Henry Bass
Event Type Census
Event Date 1871
Event Place Debden, Saffron Walden Debden, Essex, England
Enumeration District 4
Gender Male
Age 10
Marital Status Single
Occupation Scholar
Relationship to Head of Household Son
Birth Year (Estimated) 1861
Birthplace Debden, Essex
Entry Number 19
Affiliate Image Identifier GBC/1871/1707/0106

Household

Role

Birthplace

George Bass Head M 40 Debden, Essex
Matilda Bass Wife F 42 Wimbish, Essex
Ellen Bass Daughter F 15 Debden, Essex
Henry Bass Son M 10 Debden, Essex
William Bass Son M 7 Debden, Essex
Fanny Bass Daughter F 4 Debden, Essex
Elizabeth Bass Daughter F 1 Debden,

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Jan 2016 22:02

So the Edmonton death could be her maybe. Worth following up but I would have liked more certainty really. Thanks everybody.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jan 2016 22:03

That Edmonton death was not after the burial!!

Mar 1881 covers the quarter from Jan 1 to March 31

In Births, Mar quarter can cover births born during the period from mid-November to March 31, as there has always been a 6 week period in which to register births.

Marriages and Deaths have to be registered ASAP ........... Marriages from information sent by the Vicar or Registrar, and deaths after cause of death has been determined.

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Jan 2016 22:16

The 1881 census shows my own grandmother Emma. She was the youngest child and born between census 1871 and 1881. I just looked on a map and see that Edmonton could well have been a place she visited or more likely was put in hospital there. I shall send for the certificate and hope it turns out to be the right person.
Thanks again all.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jan 2016 00:37

good luck!

jenVG

jenVG Report 16 Jan 2016 16:16

The Edmonton death of a Matilda Bass has arrived this morning and yes I think it is my great grandmother. It shows her widower as George Bass a labourer and she died at an address 3 Cunningham Road Tottenham (Registration District Edmonton).
The 1881 census a couple of months later shows George back at the cottage in Debden along with my grandmother Emma aged 8, Elizabeth aged 11, Fanny aged 14 and WIlliam aged 17.
I can only assume that George left the village to get work (after the farms laid so many off when machinery took over) and went into London and took lodgings in 32 Cuningham Road, Tottenham. Matilda must have gone too with the younger children and left the ones with work in the village in the tied cottage in Debden. When Matilda died he must have gone back home and stayed until such time as the kids were old enough to leave home to go into service or other work outside agricultural.

Is anyone able to see the voters lists for Cunningham Road for George Bass please? If he was on that then the address would look to have been more permanent. If the 17th January 1881 was a weekend day maybe Matilda went for a little holiday? My imagination is running riot!!!

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 16 Jan 2016 17:52

Was George's mother a Sarah?

I have looked at the Burial Register for Debden and Matilda is indeed shown as being of Debden, buried 21 January 1881 age 53.

The next entry is for a Sarah Bass of Debden, buried 22 January 1881 age 77.

Chris

jenVG

jenVG Report 16 Jan 2016 18:42

Sorry but I have no idea about George Bass's parentage. I can only go back as far as the census reports allow. The only thing I would like to know is how Matilda and George came to be at 3 Cunningham Road Tottenham when she died suddenly and their family home in Debden Main Street was still there when the census was taken a couple of months later.
Thanks for your interest.

jenVG

jenVG Report 17 Jan 2016 11:26

Thanks to Google Streetview I am able to see the exact house where Matilda died! Oh the wonders of technology!

jenVG

jenVG Report 13 May 2016 14:59

Hi Chris in Sussex. There were many Bass families in Essex at that time so it would take some dedicated research to trace the origins of George. I had thought he could be the son of William Bass born 1789 and Mary Thompson born 1789. My memberships of Ancestry & FMP have expired so I will never know for sure. George did name his second son William = but that does not prove anything really. Poor Matilda died of an infection after a four day illness. No antibiotics then!

mimo7

mimo7 Report 22 May 2016 08:55

It wasn't at all unusual for people to spread around in the search for work. Essex is fairly close and places like Tottenham and Edmonton were the overspill areas from London :-)