Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 register

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 May 2016 17:01

Would someone please be kind enough to check this household for me?

Molly Longfield born 1917 living Leeds

Many thanks.

Jan

Dea

Dea Report 22 May 2016 17:04

Welford Household (4 People) 21 Roberts Avenue , Leeds C.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England
Start free family tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Occupation
Molly Longfield (Dowthwaite,Potter,Smithurst,Convey) 22 Dec 1917 Fine Drawer Tailors
Cecil F Welford 11 Mar 1901 Brewers Labourer
Mary K Rhodes (Welford) 27 Oct 1898 Unpaid Domestic Duties
Norah Webster (Longfield) 09 May 1924 Hand Sewer Tailors

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 22 May 2016 17:08

I don't think that the others were in the same household as her !!

More than 20 closed records................. ??? - looks like an institution ??

Dea Xxx

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 May 2016 17:09

Thanks very much Dea. Quite a complicated family this one!
Cecil's name has given me some useful info, as he was always known as just Fred.
However, I must say, it has also thrown up something rather puzzling, would you mind giving me your opinion if I outline where I am confused?
Thanks!
Jan x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 May 2016 17:10

Sorry, we crossed posts!
All of them are related one way or another.
Jan

Dea

Dea Report 22 May 2016 17:10

Go right ahead Jan .............

Dea xxx

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 May 2016 17:19

Right, thanks.

Mary Kathleen (nee Powell) was born in Birmingham. She married a Harry Longfield. The Molly & Norah you can see are daughters from that marriage.

At some point they split up and she took up with Fred Welford, but they never married. I am assuming Cecil is the same person, having found a Cecil Frederick Welford in Leeds 1911, tho I can't prove this.

She married Harry Rhodes in 1955.

I am a bit confused that she seems to have the name Mary Rhodes in 1939 while apparently living with Fred.

Are the records ever amended to reflect later events, do you know?

Thanks for having a look.

Jan

Dea

Dea Report 22 May 2016 17:22

They were amended up until around 1991 I believe so they will reflect any name she took on after 1939 until then.

Dea x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 May 2016 17:23

Oh I see, problem solved! I had no idea.
Thanks Dea. x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 May 2016 17:38

Just to add! I never found a death for Molly as a Potter (her 2nd marriage), but looking t 1939 entry, have now realised she also married an Albert Convey. Have now found her death, so thanks for that.
No idea where the name Dowthwaite comes in tho!

Gee

Gee Report 22 May 2016 18:41

Jan

When you search the 1939 register for 'Molly' the transcription shows all the people that Dea has posted but.....

The actual image shows the same address that Dea posted but no other people are listed. In fact, only four other people on the whole page, all the others are 'blanked' out

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 May 2016 19:04

What do you think that means Gins? I've never given the 1839 'census' much thought before. Would it mean they might still be living?

Gee

Gee Report 22 May 2016 19:39

I'm not at all sure Jan

I am on the lines of thinking that there is a mistake being made?

Maybe someone else could have an idea

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 22 May 2016 19:58

I think if they are blanked out, or the records are closed, it means the person concerned probably hadn't died whilst the updates were going on - up until some time in the 1990s.

Gee

Gee Report 22 May 2016 20:24

Yes, I know that's the case for blanked out images but the strange thing is the image(s) not being the same as the transcription?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 May 2016 21:07

Don't forget ..................

FMP is updating the 1939 Register, both as a result of people cotnacting them with proof of the death of a balcked out person, but also because they themselves are checking against bmd records.

Is it possiblt that that strange anomaly is due to that?

ie, the transcript has been updated, but the image has not yet?

It is interesting to note that the 4 names showing all have different numbers against their names ...... the number showing their position in the family (Head = 1, Wife = 2, etc)

Molly Longfield has the number 3 against her name ............. meaning that there are 2 other names in the household ahead of her. Looking at the transcript that could logically be Cecil F and Mary K

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 May 2016 21:10

In fact, the position in the household that I suggest above is what is shown when you search for Cecil F

Welford Household (4 People) 21 Roberts Avenue , Leeds C.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Cecil F Welford 11 Mar 1901 Brewers Labourer
Mary K Rhodes (Welford) 27 Oct 1898 Unpaid Domestic Duties
Norah Webster (Longfield) 09 May 1924 Hand Sewer Tailors
Molly Longfield (Dowthwaite,Potter,Smithurst,Convey) 22 Dec 1917 Fine Drawer Tailors

Viewing the image shows many more names have been uncovered :-D

There are still 2 blocked names in the Welford Household

one is between Mary K and Norah ..... that should be Mary I think?

and the second is after Norah, before the next household.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 May 2016 23:29

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have just realised that the gaps must be her other 2 children, Thomas & Peter, born 1919 & 1922 respectively. Thomas died 1992 & Peter in 1956.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 May 2016 23:54

Jan ..........

you're probably right ..... you know the family, and their birth years.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 May 2016 23:59

I know, it just never struck me, silly me.
It was an unusual family, in that Peter married in 1947, and his mother married his father-in-law 6 years later! So her daughter-in-law became her stepdaughter also.
I wonder how they introduced each other!