Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth & Death of Child between 1901 & 1911 Census

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 25 May 2016 21:24

Help! Whats the best way of locating details of child born & then died between the census period 1901 to 1911? Don't know if child is male or female and only know surname Jones :-) But the information of death of child given on 1911 Census. The District or Parish is Wandsworth, London. Anyone with any ideas as the records on the search site here do not list parents names to narrow things down. Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
David Batty

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 May 2016 21:32

If the child was baptised you might be able to find the baptism using parents names, in LMA records ( on Ancestry) or familysearch.

Otherwise it's just a case of trawling through freebmd.org.uk using surname Jones, Wandsworth district, for births and matching deaths between 1901 -1911 ( Edit there are a LOT of deaths for children so makes it unviable to purchase certs on the offchance, unless you can guess on a likely name from parents names, eg named after mother)

Won't include stillbirths though

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 May 2016 21:35

If you post parents' names and names of any children you do know of then perhap someone will be able to help looking at records on Ancestry etc.

David

David Report 25 May 2016 21:37

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
David

David

David Report 25 May 2016 21:40

Parents names William Jones, wife called Maria Jones, siblings William, Kate and Annie.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 May 2016 21:42

Is there a recognisable gap in the ages of the children shown alive in the 1911 census?

That might help with a time frame, then you could look for child deaths between that time and census.
Not easy with a common surname, as I know with all my JONES links.

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 May 2016 21:47

Just for ref

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
107 Strathville Road Southfields S W, Wandsworth, London, England

William Jones Head Married Male Shirt Cutter 45 1866 London Hoxton Transcription
Maria Jones Wife Married Female - 40 1871 London Walworth
William Jones Son Single Male Kitchen Porter 21 1890 London Peckham
Kate Jones Daughter Single Female Mantle Packer 18 1893 London Mile End
Annie Jones Daughter Single Female Feather Curler 16 1895 London Mile End
Charles Searle Lodger Married Male Dock Labourer 21 1890 London Walworth
Rose Searle Lodger Married Female Book Folder 20 1891 London Lambeth
Dorris Sandon Lodger Single Female Mantle Packer 18 1893 Aberdeen Scotland Resident

given the ages of children, birth of child probably closer to 1901 than 1911

safc

safc Report 25 May 2016 21:48

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
22, Cottage Street Buxton Terrace, Poplar, London, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
William Jones Head Married Male 36 1865 Shirt Cutter Hoxton, Middlesex, England
Transcription
Maria Jones Wife Married Female 34 1867 - Walworth, Surrey, England
Transcription
William Jones Son - Male 10 1891 - Peckham, Surrey, England
Transcription
Kate Jones Daughter - Female 8 1893 - Mile End, Middlesex, England
Transcription
Annie Jones Daughter - Female 5 1896 - Poplar, Middlesex, England

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 May 2016 21:51

The child could have been born earlier than 1901 though.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 May 2016 22:00

This one is a possibility - only because of the middle name:-

First name(s) LILIAN MARIA
Last name JONES
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1906
Age 0
Death quarter 2
Death year 1906
District WANDSWORTH
County London
Volume 1D
Page 254
Country England

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 May 2016 22:02

Possible birth to correspond with the above death:-

First name(s) LILIAN MARIA
Last name JONES
Birth year 1905
Birth quarter 3
Registration month -
Mother's last name -
District WANDSWORTH
County London
Country England
Volume 1D
Page 557

The only way to be certain would be to buy the birth certificate to see the parent's names although it could be a waste of money if it turns out not to be the birth you are looking for. Jones isn't an easy surname to research but I think I would chance it if it was my family.

Kath. x

Andrew

Andrew Report 25 May 2016 22:13

There is a baptism for the above to Alfred Edward and Anne louisa Jones on 22 Oct 1905

Name:
Lilian Maria Jones
Record Type:
Baptism
Baptism Date:22 Oct 1905
Father's name:Alfred Edward Jones
Mother's name:Anne Louisa Jones
Parish or Poor Law Union:Clapham St Paul
Borough:Lambeth
Register Type:Parish Registers

Andy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 May 2016 22:17

Looks like you can discount that birth and death then David.

Kath. x :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2016 23:09

looking at that 1901 Census, and the 1911 ........

the missing child could actually have been born at any time between the marriage of William and Maria, and 1911

The fact that the death of a child (or children) is on the 1911 and not the 1901 is only because the 1911 Census was the first to ask that particular question.

Also ............. the child could also have been Maria's before she married, as it is the number of children born to the wife, not to the marriage.

I've been caught out by that one on a couple of occasions.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 May 2016 00:20

Actually Sylvia, it is supposed to be the number of children born to the present marriage - it is on the header of the column.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2016 01:08

Kath

I know that, you know that

But I've seen 3 or 4 cases where the number has included children born to the wife before the current marriage ....... they've tended to be illegitimate. They could have been fathered by the current husband, but who knows.

I only know that it involved much searching before finding the truth!

People didn't always follow the instructions to the letter ..... and still don't! :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 May 2016 11:15

Sorry Sylvia - I just thought you were saying that the form actually intended the couple to state the number of children born to the wife rather than to the marriage.

Kath. x

David

David Report 26 May 2016 19:37

Thanks to you all for all the help. Kate Jones (my grandma) was called Kate Maria and so I had ruled out Lilian when I looked last night as I thought William and Maria would not give a second child the same middle name when the first child (Kate) was still alive. William and Maria were married on April 21st 1889 with William the son being born in 1891 after the census as there are only William and Maria on the census return for 1891. I know it's possible that "they had to get married" and the first child could have been born and died in 1889 or 1900 but given the gaps between the siblings of 2 and four years I still think my best bet is somewhere between 1902 to 1905. What do you think of my reasoning?

Are there any records which would give either of the parents names as well as the deceased child?

Regards,
David

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2016 20:44

as we've said .............. it depends on whether the child was born alive or was a still birth

Still births were not even registered at that time. There might be a record at the church if the child was buried in a church yard .......... but that is likely to be in a grave that happened to be open that day or in someone's coffin. Sadly, many still birth babies were not even buried that way.

If the child was born alive, then there MIGHT be a parish record of a baptism, if the parents believed in that .............. the record would then show the name of the father and the forenames of the mother, plus their address.

Were any of the other children baptised?? If so, it might be worth searching the records for that church to see if there is another child.

The burial record MIGHT show the name of either the mother or the father.

Of course, for most of us, that means we have to depend on the records having been digitised and on-line.

I'm not sure how good GR is for searching for these kinds of records.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2016 20:46

Kath ...........

sorry, I didn't word that comment too well, did I?

I can now see why you took it that way.