Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Times Newspaper Archives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 29 May 2016 20:40

Hi, Can anyone help, my Grandfather Alf Bevan had a small write up in The Times newspaper. I am not sure of the date, possibly 1930 - 1945 ????? I know the title was The Good Samaritan. Many thanks. Sally

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 May 2016 21:15

You may find it if you search here:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

If you access the British Newspaper Archive via Quidco, you'll get 70% off the cost of a month's subscription.

Sally

Sally Report 29 May 2016 21:29

Many thanks for your advice AG.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 May 2016 23:11

Many English Public Library memberships include access to The Times Archive. Assuming you live in England, its worth asking and joining for free.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 30 May 2016 06:36

(in case of anything, below looks to relate)

Chris :)

Relation Name: Alfred Bevan
Date of Birth: 1901
Place of Birth: BRECON Powys Wales

Births Dec 1901 (>99%)
---------------------------------------------------------
BEVAN Alfred David Brecknock 11b 83

1939 Register (Find My Past)

9 Newmarch Street , Brecon M.B., Breconshire, Wales
Alfred D Bevan 25 Nov 1901 Male Gwr Locomotive Fireman Qualified Married
Janet Bevan 24 Sep 1900 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
(Daughter Bevan)

Sally

Sally Report 30 May 2016 11:20

Thank you both for your info. :-)

Dea

Dea Report 30 May 2016 11:30

If you go to this link:

http://www.llanfrynach-community.org.uk/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/WWBII-PDF.pdf

At the top left change it to go to page 194 (of 228) and you will see a photo of him (with the fish he helped to catch) and reference to the article in the Times.

"The Good Samaritan
Leslie Williams
Alf Bevan was a full-time train driver who often worked on the Builth and Hereford
routes. But when he was off duty, Alf was
a keen fisherman. He often worked as a
gillie at Abercynrig, Llanfrynach. One day
he was on the Builth run, and could see a
fisherman having difficulty landing a salmon
he had hooked in the River Wye, which
flowed parallel to the railway.

Like the Good Samaritan that he was, Alf
stopped the train and hurried down to the
river in order to help land the catch.
Somehow the story was published in ‘The
Times’ newspaper, which reported that
Alf had a wonderful ovation from the
passengers when he remounted his engine! "

Dea x

Sally

Sally Report 30 May 2016 12:07

MANY thanks Dea, as usual you come up with the goods !!!!!!!!!!!!! My Grandad was lovely, I never heard this story. Maybe I will be able to find the write up in The Times. x

Dea

Dea Report 30 May 2016 12:34

Glad to help, Sally.

I used to have access to Times digital Archive on-line via Manchester Library (even though I don't live in Manchester), however, they have now stopped this for people not in the area.

As mentioned by someone above, you may be able to access it through your local library - it is worth asking.

Dea x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 30 May 2016 17:00

Not seeing in The Times...(shame you can't find year)

Chris :)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 May 2016 22:08

Interesting details on the image for this (on Ancestry)

Alfred David Bevan
in the UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956
Name: Alfred David Bevan
Birth Date: 25 Nov 1901
Residence Date: 22 Feb 1916
Station: Brecon
Company: Great Western
Description: Nos.20251-20500 [c.1897-1914] Registers of drivers and firemen, showing date of entering service, promotions, type of work, fines etc.

Amongst other details of his railway career, on 2 August 1937 he was commended for his "alertness and prompt action in stopping train and extinguishing a fire which had broken out underneath the ground frame."

On two occasions in the 1950's, he was awarded a gratuity for suggestions he submitted

In 1923, although he was shown on the records as a fireman, "it was found that he had not been definitely appointed, and was shown on the paybill as a cleaner."

No mention of fish, sadly.

Sally

Sally Report 31 May 2016 10:04

Many thanks - Dea, Chris and AGran x

Sally

Sally Report 6 Jun 2016 14:29

I asked my Mum, and she seems to think the photo was about 1949 - 1952. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Jun 2016 15:25

Like Chris, I can't find anything in the Times, but there is a newspaper called The County Times which covers mid-Wales. Locally this is probably referred to as just The Times, so perhaps that is where the article is??

Also, the link above leads to a modern magazine, so perhaps they could tell you the original date of their article. This would narrow down your search.

I have access to The Times on-line archive through my Liverpool library ticket, which is still valid for people who joined before they restricted it to local people. I am happy to look things up.