Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed re. inquest please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine in Yorkshire

Christine in Yorkshire Report 24 Jul 2016 18:45

I would be very grateful for any advice in finding out details of an inquest in 1951.
I realise court records are sealed for 75 years but would have imagined that a newspaper might carry a record of it.

I have searched the British newspapers website but unfortunately the records only go to 1949. The reason I wanted to check the report was to see if in fact this person is part of my family tree. (I am a bit wary about putting the name in case it isn't and don't want to upset someone)

The information I have is as follows (from the death certificate):
died 9 December 1951 in Kent and Canterbury Hospital
Under informant: Certificate received from Elliot Allard, deputy coroner for City and City of Canterbury
Inquest held 12 December 1951
Death registered 20 December
I would be very happy to receive any pointers

Many thanks

Christine

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Jul 2016 18:59

Contact Canterbury Library and see if they have local newspapers for the time. They will probably make a charge to search them if you can't do so yourself.

If the cause of death wasn't 'foul play', accident or similar, there may not be a newspaper report. A Coroner will sign a DC if there's been a post-mortum to discover the cause of death and is probably more common than you'd expect.

Christine in Yorkshire

Christine in Yorkshire Report 24 Jul 2016 19:20

Thank you so much for your reply. It was an accident or similar so there may be a record.
I don't mind paying a reasonable charge as I am up North a long way from Canterbury!

Christine in Yorkshire

Christine in Yorkshire Report 25 Jul 2016 08:53

I have emailed Canterbury Library so fingers crossed ! - Will update if they can help as it may help others to know if they offer this service

Also thank you to Gins :-)

Christine in Yorkshire

Christine in Yorkshire Report 25 Jul 2016 21:41

Just a quick update. Canterbury Library will do searches (good News).
They have a scale of fees depending on the length of time the search takes but still very useful if you can't make it down there

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Jul 2016 21:42

Did the person actually live in Canterbury?

That hospital serves a wide area of Kent and would possibly be the main A & E hospital at that time.
Maybe newspapers local to the deceased's home address will carry information.

If it was south Kent, I'd be happy to check Folkestone library for you.

Christine in Yorkshire

Christine in Yorkshire Report 25 Jul 2016 22:35

Hello Gwyn
The person actually lived in Herne Bay, so I suppose that is a possibility. It's not in your area but thank you so much for your offer, I really appreciate it

Christine :-)