Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Messed up, need help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natasha

Natasha Report 18 Sep 2016 20:08

Hi, I'll try make this as simple as possible as I'm good at confusing myself and others.

I have Henry James Carter 1876-1950 ish - I have his wife as Millie Elizabeth Hannaford, but I believe she was also Elizabeth Amelia, but they did have nicknames etc, but I know her (or call her) Millie to make my life easier.

I have her mother as Lucy Hannaford. Now, Millie took Lucy's maiden name, so I wonder if she's illegitimate or something. Lucy married George Anstis and had more children who were born Anstis.

So I found another tree that seemed to match up with mine (I haven't copied them, don't worry.) This made me feel better as I get a bit nervous I'm doing it wrong constantly.

Then I found another tree from someone with the surname Anstis, and I got in touch with them because our trees had a connect. But I can't find their tree at the moment which is strange, but we've been talking via hotmail. This guy is friendly and an Anstis himself and he emailed saying he'd send me a photocopy of Lucy Hannafords bible, apparently she wrote the DOB of all her children and their names, but there is no Elizabeth, Millie or Amelia on there - EXCEPT Elizabeth Annie Anstis. So he questioned where I found the information from. But it was from census...

This is why I'm confused, he's from that family saying my tree in incorrect based on the information Lucy left in her bible (of her children WITH George Anstis, and I don't believe he was her father either.)

I asked on another thread about Henry James and Millie's son Henry Thomas, and I've looked through that thread and people found the census of Millie and HJ being married and then Millie's mother Lucy and even Lucy's father Thomas which is what I've got (obviously thanks for the help with that and the kick start!) so even some of you helped with that, I'm just worried I've messed up or joined the wrong Anstis family or something or wonder if this man who asked me maybe he's slipped up? Or Lucy maybe had secrets.

Just not sure if I messed up despite the census or what. Bit confused.. lol told you get confused easily.

If anyone could help or at least ground me a bit and tell me I'm worrying for nothing, that'd be cool ha ha.

Thank you, hope you're all well this evening. :-) :-)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Sep 2016 20:19

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1361700?d=asc

(is above relating?)

Chris :)

DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Aug 2016 13:38

Millie's birth
MILLIE ELIZABETH
Last name HANNAFORD
Birth year 1874
Birth quarter 1
District TOTNES
County Devon
Country England
Volume 5B
Page 205

and baptism
Millie Elizabeth
Last name Hannaford
Birth year -
Baptism year 1875
Baptism date 07 May 1875
Denomination Anglican
Baptism place Harberton
Mother's first name(s) Lucy
County Devon
Archive South West Heritage Trust
Archive reference 333A/PR/1/5
Record set Devon Baptisms
The only parent mentiond on the image is Lucy Haberton, implying that Lucy was a single mother

(from Findmypast)

Natasha

Natasha Report 18 Sep 2016 20:22

Yes Chris Ho :) that's where it all started and I believe the information to be correct, I'm just lost after another possible family member raising the point that Lucy hasn't included Millie in the bible etc which made me question if I'd maybe put Millie with the wrong family and made us join a completely different family we're not actually related to! So just asking for help just to calm the nerves, as I was meant to be going to bed but all these questions now!! hah

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Sep 2016 20:30

So George & Lucy married in 1876:

Marriages Sep 1876 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anstis George Totnes 5b 341
Hannaford Lucy Totnes 5b 341

Natasha

Natasha Report 18 Sep 2016 20:33

Thank you. I thinkkkk I'm on the right tracks? They married after so Millie must have been a child out of wed lock and George possibly isn't her father. I just wonder why Lucy was leaving her out of the bible?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Sep 2016 20:34

No Millie Elizabeth or Elizabeth Amelia with them in 1881:

Lucy Anstis

in the 1881 England Census
Record Image View

View blank form

Name: Lucy Anstis
Estimated birth year: abt 1852
Relationship to Head: Wife
Spouse: George Anstis
Where born: Harberton, Devon, England
Civil Parish: Ugborough
County/Island: Devon
Street address: Leterburn Street
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Totnes
ED, institution, or vessel: 1
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 2178
Folio: 8
Page Number: 9
Household Members:
Name Age
George Anstis 29
Lucy Anstis 29
Thomas Edwards Anstis 4
Annie Elizabeth Anstis 2
Lucy Jane Anstis 1

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Sep 2016 20:37

Millie with her grandparents in 1881:

Millie E. Hannaford

in the 1881 England Census
Record Image View

View blank form

Name: Millie E. Hannaford
Estimated birth year: abt 1874
Relationship to Head: Granddaughter
Where born: Harberton, Devon, England
Civil Parish: Harberton
Street address: Harberton Village
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 2179
Folio: 16
Page Number: 26
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas Hannaford 61
Elizabeth Hannaford 54
Robert Hannaford 24
Anna Hannaford 22
Millie E. Hannaford 7
Annie E. Johnson 3
Mary E. Johnson 1

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Sep 2016 20:42

I think you ought to buy her birth certificate:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Mar 1874 (>99%)

HANNAFORD Millie Elizabeth Totnes 5b 205

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 22:06

Is this Millie as Amelia in 1891??

1891 Census

Name: Amelia Hannaford
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Relation: Servant
Where born: Harbertonford, Devon, England
Civil Parish: Ashprington
Ecclesiastical parish: Ashprington
Town: Ashprington

Piece: 1711
Folio: 8
Page Number: 9

Francis W Baker 29 Miller
Sarah E Baker 31
Rosina J Baker 11
Amelia Hannaford 18 General Domestic Servant

Address:- Bow Mills

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 22:10

It would not be unusual for Millie to be elft behind with grandparents if her mother married someone who was not the child's father, and who was not willing to accept her.

I think the fact that she is the grandparents in 1881 and out at work in 1891 is an indication that George Anstis is not her father.

And obviously in that case, her name would not be put int eh Anstis bible!!

But also notice that Lucy and George have a daughter called Annie Elizabeth, age 2 in 1881 so born ca 1879

I would say that you are in the right and that other guy did not know about Millie :-)

But buy her birth certificate to be certain

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Sep 2016 22:19

Natasha -

You should go by the records, as posted above, and not by what anyone else says, related or not, unless they can provide documentary evidence.

If Lucy only bought or was given that Bible after her marriage, I expect Millie wouldn't be mentioned there because she presumably wasn't George's daughter, and therefore not an Anstis.

Your Anstis contact can't know if she listed "all" her children or not, unless Lucy has also written "These are the names of ALL my children" or similar.
And even then she may not have listed Mille if George didn't approve.

Christine

Christine Report 18 Sep 2016 22:26

Leaving Millie out of the family Bible avoids having to answer any embarrassing questions!

Christine