Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Mulcahy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gaynor

Gaynor Report 8 Oct 2016 13:08

Hi there

Has anyone got access to the 1939 register please and can do a look-up for me please?

Thomas Mulcahy born 1901 ( registered in Redditch)

I want to see the address and who else was living there at the time.

Here's hoping

Gaynor

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Oct 2016 13:18

Mulcahy Household (3 People) 62 Beoley Road , Redditch U.D., Worcestershire, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Thomas Mulcahy 26 May 1900 Male Millwright (General) Aluminum Alloy Drop Stamping Tran Married 28 1
Lizzie (Elizabeth) Mulcahy 08 May 1896 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 28 2
CLOSED RECORD
William J Mulcahy 14 Jun 1931 Male At School Single 28 4

Gaynor

Gaynor Report 8 Oct 2016 13:23

Super!

Thank you very much!

Do you know what a Closed Record is out of interest?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Oct 2016 13:26

William J Mulcahy was registered mmn Willis although he parents didn't marry until 1939. Lizzie has been married before

Marriages Sep 1939 (>99%)
Bristow Charles H Howarth Bromsgrove 6c 992
Howarth Dorothy C Bristow Bromsgrove 6c 992
James Lizzie Mulcahy Bromsgrove 6c 992 <<<
Mulcahy Thomas James Bromsgrove 6c 992 <<<<
Mulcahy Thomas Willis Bromsgrove 6c 992 <<<
Willis Lizzie Mulcahy Bromsgrove 6c 992 <<<<

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 8 Oct 2016 13:31

The closed record is their daughter Sheila.......born 1933

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Oct 2016 13:32

A Closed Record is when the person was born after 1915 and a registration has not been found in the UK for a death before 1991. The Register was a working document until then and formed the basis of the NHS system.

Findmypast/National Archives are trying to match up death registrations for people who died after then. Its easier to do so with males than females. If they died anywhere other than England & Wales, the death indices aren't available to them.

Gaynor

Gaynor Report 8 Oct 2016 13:35

Thanks

I have the marriage cert for Thomas & Lizzie ( I am doing the tree for a friend who's dad is William J Mulcahy who unfortunately is no longer with us). She wanted to find out more about the Mulcahy side of things but has no information at all apart from them being Irish which doesn't help much

Thomas' father was called William and was a Steam Railworker ( deceased) according to the cert. But that is as far as I have got as I do not know Willams DoB or his wife's name.

I maybe able to get a little further now I have Thomas' DoB

Cheers

Gaynor

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Oct 2016 13:38

At least she now has declared date of birth. Mind you, we've probably all seen some records where they've 'fudged' the year if there was a large age difference. Lizzie might be a bit older, or Thomas a bit younger. Normally the day and month are correct.

Essential reading about the 1939 Register
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/

Gaynor

Gaynor Report 8 Oct 2016 13:47

Cheers all

I have Shelia already as well ( both Children was born in Edmonton) - Thomas' Year of birth seems consistent (looking at marriage cert and death record)

May order the death cert to see id place of birth is recorded

Thanks again

G

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 8 Oct 2016 14:26

Do you know where in Ireland Thomas was born?

Do you know the names of any siblings?

Have you looked on the 1901 and 1911 Ireland census records?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Oct 2016 18:27

Not sure when the place of birth was first included on a DC. Might it have been in the mid 1960's when the exact date of birth was given?

Don't forget that the only accurate info on a DC is when and where the person died. Everything else is to the best of the informants knowledge.