Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find Brisbane Passenger records

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carolyn Rose

Carolyn Rose Report 27 Oct 2016 11:01

EL - SAYED H NAGUIB travelled into England, London 22/4/1935. He came on the Ballarat to reside in the Artillary college, Portsmouth. So far i can trace his marriage in 1938 and two subsequent children in 1938 & 1939. However I cannot find anything about how he got to Brisbane. (he was an Egyptian citizen) or even where or when he died. The surname Naguib doesn't show up on any of the military records that i can find. If anyone has any suggestion as to how i could search the Incoming Australian passenger lists or the WW2 service lists / memorial records if he died in service? Or anyone who has experience of looking for Egyptian ancestry too, many thanks

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Oct 2016 11:29

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

(Search box, top right, click arrow to 'Search our records' there are some of surname Naguib, if any relate!)

Chris :)

Catherine

Catherine Report 27 Oct 2016 13:40

Just for ref:-

First name(s) EL-SAYED H
Last name NAGUIB
Marriage quarter 3
Marriage year 1938
Registration month -
MarriageFinder™ EL-SAYED H NAGUIB married
MURIEL F BARTLETT
Spouse's last name BARTLETT
District PADDINGTON
District number -
County London
Country England
Volume 1A
Page 275
Record set England & Wales marriages 1837-2008
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Marriages & divorces
Collections from Great Britain

Catherine

Catherine Report 27 Oct 2016 13:46

Daughter Sonia married in Hampshire in 1960 so did he leave after this?
also
Son looks to be on the electoral role in 1983
NAME: C J Naguib
RESIDENCE: 1983 - Cosham, Hampshire

Catherine

Catherine Report 27 Oct 2016 14:15

The marriage certificate should give you his father's name and occupation.
It should also give you his age so you can work out a year of birth which may help find other information.

How do you know that he went to Brisbane?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Oct 2016 14:33

Might he have embarked when the vessel called at Port Said, Alexandria or any other 'Middle East' ports?

Catherine

Catherine Report 27 Oct 2016 15:03

Just checked passenger list for his arrival and it gives an approximate date of birth so will post:-

Name: El Sayed Naguib
Birth Date: abt 1912
Port of Departure: Brisbane, Australia
Arrival Date: 22 Apr 1935
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ship Name: Ballarat
Search Ship Database: Search for the Ballarat in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping line: P and O Steam Navigation Company Ltd
Official Number: 145596

The ship arrived into London from Brisbane but he embarked the ship at Port Said.
Other passengers embarked at Fremantle and others at Malta.

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Oct 2016 15:09

(anything Ancestry New York, on below, if relating)

Najib Said El Shay 1907 — 1933 New York Passenger Lists & Arrivals (Find My Past)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Oct 2016 00:13

so Brisbane is a red herring :-)

It would appear that El Sayed Naguib had NO connection with Brisbane or Australia, at least not before his arrival in England.

Chris Ho :) Report 28 Oct 2016 08:29

Now checked that 1933 image, in case it related (no time yesterday!) says, Merchant. Nationality. Syria. City. Hasbaya. Name and address of nearest relative, or friend. Nobody. Transit to Mexico.

Carolyn Rose

Carolyn Rose Report 28 Oct 2016 13:55

Hi wow... Thanks for the responses so far. I don't know where he came from before Brisbane ( which is where the ship apparently sailed from to arrive in London) I also know that he was married (as I met great nanny as a child) I also know of his 2 children Sonia & camere. What no one living can tell us, is what happened to El Sayed Naguib after his marriage and birth of 2 children. Or where he himself came from. The ships record said he was from Egypt, but I was wondering how he came from Egypt to Brisbane ( if this is fact where he alighted)

Chris I'm sure I remember some random (possibly embellished) info from being a child. Something along the lines of going to america but I'm not sure if that was him or his wife . Though she lived here in her later life, something tells me that she moved to america for a while, with family connections to a very affluent furniture making company? Her maiden name was Bartlett. But him I cannot find in the WW2 records... And one might think that he'd served being as he was initially headed for the artillery college?

Any more clues or advise is gratefully received, I have ordered the marriage certificate so hopefully some more information will transpire

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Oct 2016 14:29

CarolynRose. The evidence found so far is that he didn't ever go to Brisbane or Australia. The ship did. He didn't.

Think of it like a train journey.
The ‘train’ started at Brisbane and its finale destination was London. En route it docked at Port Said and Malta.

Some people disembarked at Port Said (Egypt) & Malta. Others, including El - Sayed H Naguib, boarded the vessel in Port Said (Egypt) whilst more passengers joined the vessel in. Malta. There is absolutely nothing to say that he, personally, ever went to Australia.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Oct 2016 14:34

You won't find UK WW2 records on line as they are still with the MOD. Relatives can order a copy for £30.
This link will give you full details on how to go about it
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

No idea how to obtain records if he was in the Egyptian forces but seconded to the UK. The MOD might have part of them.

Carolyn Rose

Carolyn Rose Report 29 Oct 2016 03:02

Ahhh now that makes sense... I was wondering why on earth he'd travelled so far. Thank you for your patience and explaining it to me, very much appreciated.

So moving forwards I guess I need to wait for the marriage cert and then look into if Egyptian records are accessible.

As for what happened to him once he arrived in London, I'm at a loss. He doesn't have a death record here. The war cards could be next on my list, though I'm unsure if they would be kept here if he was an Egyptian citizen?

Thanks again everyone. Any other leads or clues please let me know. Also I'll update here once the cert arrives ??

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Oct 2016 08:00

Can I ask why you are looking for info on him ,are you related

Both his children are posibly till alive so they would have the info on their family or is it too indelicate to contact them?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Oct 2016 08:45

His daughter married a mr cull and had two children one in Hampshire and one in Cheshire

The Cheshire one is on the electoral rolls in Stockport

Also if you google Sonia name it comes up with her having a bt phone at one time also in Stockport

Can't see an address for her or her husband so maybe they opted out of have passed away

Edit the other son also married in Cheshire !!

Carolyn Rose

Carolyn Rose Report 29 Oct 2016 10:40

Thanks, yes my brothers great grandfather. All the information that we have is from childhood memories which has been easier to trace until hitting the Egyptian ancestor. If only we could find his final resting place or uncover something about where in Egypt he came from. I don't know anything about Egyptian records or how/if they are accessible. Thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Oct 2016 10:48

Well neither Muriel or El Sayed show on any death records so maybe they did go abroad

Online travel records only go to 1965 and then are only sea travel

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Oct 2016 10:59

Wonder about this one

London Electoral rolls

Name: Muriel T Naguib
Year: 1946
County or Borough: Lewisham
Ward or Division/Constituency: Lewisham
Street address: 43 Evans Road

On her own but in the same house as others with different names

ArgyllGran