Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Henry Elsegood b.1859, d.??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Nov 2016 16:39

Can anyone please find a death or a sighting of this man after 1891 before I go completely mad looking for him?

Thomas Henry Elsegood is the sixth of eight known children of James Elsegood and Catherine Dodd. He was born end 1858/early 1859 in the Walworth/Newington area of South London (then under Surrey). Birth is registered in Newington in the first quarter of 1859.

His occupation is generally shown as coachman.

In 1882 Thomas married Annie Gould in Camberwell. Between 1882 and 1891 they had five children that I know about. In the 1891 census Thomas and Annie are together at 56 Seymour Street, St Paul’s, Deptford. Deptford at that time came under Kent and was part of the registration district of Greenwich.

After the 1891 census Thomas disappears without a trace but in 1900 his wife Annie remarries as a widow, so it would appear that he has died sometime between 1891 and 1900, or has done a disappearing act. It seems likely he died or disappeared close to 1891 as that was when his last child was born.

I would hate anyone to spend a lot of time researching and finding information that I already have so I should tell you I know a lot about his background and all about his descendents. I just need to find his death or whereabouts after 1891. I have checked all the usual sites for deaths, burials, graves etc. and also checked some Canadian records as 3 of his children went to Canada and I wondered if he might have just deserted his wife and gone off to Canada, but I have had no luck finding him.

There are pockets of Elsegoods around the country, particularly in Norfolk but he is not the Thomas Elsegood b. 1859 who dies in Norwich in 1931, nor is he the Thomas Elsegood whose wife Annie threw herself under a train near Southend. These have been checked out.

I have to go out in about an hour but will look in again when I get home late this evening and, of course, tomorrow.
Thanks in advance .

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Nov 2016 16:45

Just the 2 children by 1891, or are the others elsewhere. Just helps so we can follow them too incase he's with them

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Seymour Street, St Paul Deptford, Greenwich, London, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Thomas H Elsegood Head Married Male 33 1858 Coachman Newington, Surrey, England
Annie Elsegood Wife Married Female 21 1870 - Cuxton, Kent, England
Florence Elsegood Daughter - Female 8 1883 Scholar Peckham, Surrey, England
Ethel A Elsegood Daughter - Female 4 1887 - Peckham, Surrey, England

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Nov 2016 16:51

2 of the others with their remarried Mother

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
5, Vicarage Road, Halling, Strood, Kent, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Phillip Large Head Married Male 40 1861 Engineer's Fitter Snodland, Kent, England
Annie Large Wife Married Female 37 1864 - Cuxton, Kent, England
Thomas A Elsegood Step Son - Male 12 1889 - Deptford, Kent, England
Ronald L Elsegood Step Son - Male 9 1892 - Deptford, Kent, England

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Nov 2016 16:57

Yes, and one died as a baby in 1885.

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Nov 2016 17:04

Is Thomas the 18 year old Farmer listed as T Elsegood going to Quebec in 1907?

and Florence the 23 year old Spinster in 1905 to Montreal in 1905

malyon

malyon Report 1 Nov 2016 17:19

is this his daughter flornece's death but Thomas's middle name arthur

Thos. Arthur Elsgood
mentioned in the record of Florence Lillian Randall
Name
Thos. Arthur Elsgood
Wife
Annie Gould
Daughter
Florence Lillian Randall
Other information in the record of Florence Lillian Randall
from Ontario Deaths and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947
Name
Florence Lillian Randall
Event Type
Death
Event Date
20 Jul 1931
Event Place
Guelph, Wellington, Ontario, Canada
Birth Date
20 Oct 1883
Birthplace
England
Father's Name
Thos. Arthur Elsgood
Mother's Name
Annie Gould

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Nov 2016 17:21

Sorry greyghost I meant to say earlier

1891 census Thomas Arthur is with maternal grandparents in Cuxton, Ronald Lloyd is about to be born I think.

1901 census Florence Lilian is with maternal grandparents in Cuxton. Ethel Alice is in service in Kent.

Re the immigration to Canada. I am not sure about the T Elsegood in 1907. The age is about right but as far as I know he never worked in farming. There is no background in farming, even as ag.labs, with the Elsegood family, although Thomas Henry, the Dad, was a coachman so presumably worked with horses. The son Thomas Arthur gave his occupation as Coremaker when he enlisted with the Canadian forces in 1915.

Florence is the one in 1905. She sailed from Liverpool on 28 September 1905 and married in Canada in November 1905. Her husband had gone to Canada a few months earlier.

Have to go out now but will look in later. Thanks for your efforts.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Nov 2016 17:23

Malyon, yes that is the death of Florence. First husband Ernest Rouse died in 1907 and she remarried Robert Randall. Dad's name has been put as Thomas Arthur but he was in fact Thomas Henry. Thomas A was Flo's brother.

OH is looking very pointedly at his watch. Must go, back later.

malyon

malyon Report 1 Nov 2016 17:24

marriages of his children

Thomas Arthur Elsegood
Father of groom
Ontario Marriages, 1869-1927

spouse:
Annie Gould
child:
Ronald Lloyd Elsegood
other:
Alice Etha Linda Smith, James Smith, Dorcas Gibbs

Thomas Elsegood
Father of bride
Ontario Marriages, 1869-1927

spouse:
Annie Gould
child:
Florence Lillian Elsegood
other:
Ernest B Rouse, Charles Rouse, Emma Julia Peters

malyon

malyon Report 1 Nov 2016 17:32

Richard Parkris
Canada Census, 1911
Name
Richard Parkris
Event Type
Census
Event Date
Event Place
Winnipeg Sub-Districts 75-91, Manitoba, Canada
Marital Status
Married
Relationship to Head of Household
Husband
Birthplace
England
Household
Role
Birthplace
Richard Parkris
Husband
M

England
Alice Barris
Wife
F

England
Alice Barris
Daughter
F

England
Winniefred Barris
Daughter
F

Manitoba
Marrie Barris
Daughter
F

Manitoba
James Burges
Roomer
M

England
Dorcas Elsgood
Roomer
F

England
Thos Arthur Elsgood
Husband
M

England

malyon

malyon Report 1 Nov 2016 17:40

he could have changed his name if he deserted his wife I know one of mine did changed name to his mothers maiden name could not find him any where

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 1 Nov 2016 18:14

(you may already have below)

Chris :)

Baptism
County Kent
Place Cuxton
Church name St Michael and All Angels
Register type Parish Register
Register entry number 607
Baptism date 09 Jul 1899
Person forename Florence Lilian
Person abode Cuxton
Father forename Thos Henry
Father surname ELSEGOOD
Father occupation Coachman
Mother forename Annie
Register note Aged 16

http://www.freereg.org.uk/

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 1 Nov 2016 19:40

Shot in the dark time.

Deaths Dec 1896

Earlsgood Thomas 38 Greenwich 1d 657

He's the only EARLSGOOD on FreeBMD so makes you wonder...

Maureen

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Nov 2016 22:03

Just got back in. Thank you all for your help. I think Maureen has cracked it. Elsegood is regularly mis-spelt (Elwood, Elsijood are two versions that come to mind). I usually try it with wild cards in but I've always started my search with El* . Never occurred to me that it might not even start El.

I'll need to follow it up a bit more but the date, age and place of the death that Maureen has found are so right that I am sure it is my Thomas Henry.

Thank you everyone and a gold star for Maureen :-D

Chris Ho :) Report 2 Nov 2016 07:02

Burial Register summary

Earlsgood Thomas
Burial date 05 December 1896
Location Lewisham

https://www.deceasedonline.com/

(needs payment to view image of Burial Register)

(and there's a grand sight to see, the lovely lady in the blue dress!, not seen for a while, hello Maureen, you staying?, lol)

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 2 Nov 2016 10:03

:-) :-)

Fingers crossed,Vera.

~~~ to Chris. Thought I'd sneak in and surprise you.
Finally renewed my sub so I'll pop in now and then.

Maureen

Chris Ho :) Report 2 Nov 2016 13:36

(good girl, lol)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 2 Nov 2016 21:07

Glad you decided to pop in to my thread Maureen :-D

I've had a good look for people named Earlsgood today just to be sure that the death you found wasn't for some totally unrelated man, and the name doesn't seem to exist. I am now convinced that Thomas Earlsgood is my Thomas Elsegood. I know I should get his death cert. to be absolutely sure but lately I have spent so much on certificates, wills, copies of things etc. that I am going to take this one on trust.

I wish all my family had surnames like this Thomas. My grandmother was a Smith. They were a large family and were all given very common Christian names and had very common occupations.....needle and haystack come to mind. So, if you are bored any time and feel you have a year or two to spare I can send you on a hunt for some elusive Smiths!

Thanks again for your help.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 2 Nov 2016 21:27

:-D :-D

SMITHs???!!! Not a chance,Vera. :-)

That was my maiden name and it's taken forever to round them up back to the 1700s.

Maureenxx