Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oliver Frederick Bellord (1882) & Jane Elizabeth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 8 Jan 2017 14:13

Please could someone help! My great grandfather Oliver Frederick Bellord was born in Greenwich in May 1882 and was baptised in Deptford 1893. He doesn't appear with his parents and siblings on the 1901 census at the family home in Bow, London.

I next find him in South Africa between 1905 and 1912 when his 3 children Dorothy, Stella and Stanley Dixon Bellord are baptised. Their mother is shown as Jane Elizabeth but I haven't been able to find any passenger lists to South Africa or a marriage (which of course could have happened in South Africa. Oliver was a shipping agent but I don't know who for and is missing after 1912. I really don't know where to look next ........... who is Jane and where is Oliver?

My grandfather Stanley Dixon Bellord believed his parents may have either left or died as he was taken to the Island of St Helena where he later married my grandmother in 1933. Does anyone have any tips? I've tried Family Search and found the 3 baptisms mentioned above but generally find it difficult to navigate

Maddie

Maddie Report 8 Jan 2017 14:17

Oliver Bellord

in the London, England, School Admissions and Discharges, 1840-1911
Record Image View

Report issue

Name: Oliver Bellord
Birth Date: 16 May 1882
School: Stanley Street School
Borough: Lewisham
Admission Date: 27 Aug 1895
Parent: John Bellord
Notes: Stanley Street School (0476) opened in 1879. Renamed Stanley Secondary School in 1951. Closed or reorganised in 195-
Reference Number: LCC/EO/DIV06/STA/AD/002
Cancel

Hilary

Hilary Report 8 Jan 2017 14:35

Thank you Maddie, that's the correct person when he was a boy, living at 26 Horton Street, Lewisham, London, England.

Trying to discover details about his wife and life in South Africa, can't find passenger lists from England to South Africa or the marriage which was likely to be in or before 1905.

It's a huge challenge!

Andrew

Andrew Report 8 Jan 2017 14:41

Is it possible he was in the army and in SA for the Boer Wars. Records are on Find my Past, I don't have a sub to check.

Andy

Maddie

Maddie Report 8 Jan 2017 14:47

no records on fmp sorry

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 8 Jan 2017 14:49

Apart from his birth registration.......I am not seeing any further records on FMP.

Hilary

Hilary Report 8 Jan 2017 14:50

Thanks Andrew I guess there is a possibility that he may have been in the Army although baptism records in South Africa state Steward in 1905 & 1906 and then Agent in 1912 .... sounds possibly like a shipping line? I don't have Find My Past either :-(

Hilary

Hilary Report 8 Jan 2017 14:52

Thank you for checking Maddie and PricklyHolly. I have access to Ancestry but can't find anything else in there ..........

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Jan 2017 15:29

http://www.eggsa.org/cgi-bin/library/dosearchGraves.pl

(a Bellord above/photo Gravestone, also comes up on google search as below)

St Helena, JAMESTOWN, Knollcombes Baptist Chapel ... - eGGSA home
www.eggsa.org › ... › Worldwide › Saint Helena
24 Mar 2013 - BELLORD Stanley Dixon -1876. Aged 64 years. Date: 06 Oct 2012.

Chris :)

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl

(if anything anywhere on above)

Hilary

Hilary Report 8 Jan 2017 17:24

Thanks Chris, I have that one, it's my grand dad's grave :-)

Have also checked the interesting link you posted but no luck :-(