Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Wilding. B.1863. D.1924

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole

Carole Report 24 Jan 2017 15:31

George Wilding (above) was born in Northiam, Sussex and died in Rolvenden, Kent.
Does anyone know where he is buried - i've searched all cemetrys in those areas without any success.

Carole Bennett. (Grand Daughter)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Jan 2017 10:04

Have you looked through parish & council cemetery registers? If you've limited your search to headstones, you may eventually discover that he doesn't have one.

Where were his wife and parents buried? Did a child predecease him? Could he have been buried with them even if it was 'out of area'?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jan 2017 10:18

By that time he could be in a municipal cemetery . Plus could be in a common grave with no headstone

I have had several successes by getting the death cert and then contacting the Parks and Cemetery dept of the local council giving them the details from the death cert

Council run cemeteries keep excellent records

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Jan 2017 11:08

Rolvenden is covered by Ashford BC. If you haven't already, contact them to ask for a burial look-up in municipal cemeteries.

http://www.ashford.gov.uk/cemeteries

greyghost

greyghost Report 25 Jan 2017 11:33

Are you sure he was buried as opposed to cremated? You could try local crematoria.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Jan 2017 12:56

Wouldn't 1924 be too early for Cremation?

Ashford BC website says that it doesn't have a Crematorium and that the nearest is in Charing.(also known as Kent & Sussex) Findagrave says it was opened in 1936.

Looking at alternatives, Hastings Crematorium was built in 1955. The Vinters Park (Maidstone) Crematorium opened in 1962. Hawkinge(Folkestone) - not sure but probably since the 1950s.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 25 Jan 2017 13:18

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1315328

(reference on above)

Chris :)

1939 Register (Find My Past)

4 Church Road , Tenterden M.B., Kent,
Adelaide Wilding 05 Dec 1875 Female Housewife Widowed

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2017 08:33

2 PMs from Carole

I have researched everything that you have suggested.
His wife's ashes are buried in St Mildred's Church Yard. They stopped interring in around 1860, so i know he's not in there.

Ashford Borough Council, don't have him listed in any of their cemetery's.

Thank's anyway.

His first born died 1895 - believe still born. He may have gone to same graveyard, but again, don't know where that is.

Carole, please reply on the thread rather than sending personal messages. That way everyone knows what you've already done & might be able to come up with other ideas.

There wouldn't be any records for a still born baby. It must have taken a breath before its existence was legally acknowledged with a birth & death certificate. If you're lucky, a sympathetic priest might record the burial of 'still born Wilding'. The body would either have been placed in the coffin of an unrelated person, or possibly even interred in the back garden if they had one.

carole anne

carole anne Report 26 Jan 2017 09:35

Many thanks to everyone for the help n tips given. I know that Adelaide Wilding's ashes are in Tenterden Churchyard but George isn't buried there.
I will continue my search- hopefully with success.

Carole