Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

reading a death cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dianad

Dianad Report 26 Jan 2017 17:06

Hi I have received a copy of a death cert from 1845 but I cannot make out the cause of death - is there anyone out there that is good a deciphering these things?

Thanks in advance!

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Jan 2017 17:14

http://www.disease.pricklytree.co.uk/#p

(Old Disease names and their Modern definitions)

Can you see anything on above, or if you can post on here...

Chris :)

Dianad

Dianad Report 26 Jan 2017 19:09

Hi Chris - I just cant read what it says unfortunately, another member on genes reunited has offerd to have a look at it for e so thanks for all your help :-)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Jan 2017 19:15

Hope it comes up somewhere on list in that link, if you could make out first letter would be a help...

(anyway, hope said Member finds it for you)

Dea

Dea Report 27 Jan 2017 08:05

Can't quite make out the middle 2 words at the moment but basically it says:

"Injury of a finger ?cons....... ?.......... producing hectic fever. Six (or could be 8?) weeks. certified."

'hectic fever' :
a fever that recurs each day, with high temperatures, profound sweating, chills, and facial flushing.

I will see if I can decipher the other two words but basically the cause seems clear.

Hope that helps.

Dea x

Dianad

Dianad Report 27 Jan 2017 08:33

Thank you Dea so very much! xx

Dea

Dea Report 27 Jan 2017 08:45

You are very welcome x

I still can't make out the other two words properly but I can make out the majority of the letters individually and I am sure that they are of no added significance to the actual cause of death.

Dea x

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Jan 2017 08:47

Just had a look, (Dea sent an image) would agree with her, and six weeks.

(sounds very painful, poor chap)

Below term coming up in newspapers in general... (one below 1848)

The injury produced hectic fever, whioh the deceased died on Friday last.

Dea

Dea Report 27 Jan 2017 08:50

:-S :-S I don't remember sending you an image Chris - Have I had one of my 'little episodes' ????? :-S :-S :-S

Dea x

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Jan 2017 08:55

Ooerr...Dea, who did then, lol...

(looking at name of Jonsey, I see that might be who sent it!, lol, as said in reply pm I sent back, I thought I saw Jonesey for one minute!, a Member here, sadly no longer with us, think it was me who had the 'episode' there Dea, lol)

Dea

Dea Report 27 Jan 2017 09:06

Thank goodness for that !! - I checked my sent messages from here and also my own e-mail sent box and couldn't see any trace but you had me worried there :-0

Yes - the name also brought back memories for me of our 'old friend' - I often think of him and when I see a thread with one of his old messages on I get quite nostalgic.

Anyway, I think we have 'cracked' this one - 'poor chap' indeed.

Dea x

Dianad

Dianad Report 27 Jan 2017 11:48

Thank you Dea and Chris

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx