Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John FLEW born about 1744 Congresbury or Yatton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 22 Feb 2017 21:12

Only just come back to family history after a break. I have a subscription to Ancestry and Find My Past so thought I had better use them.

This chap has been stumping me for years.
John FLEW married Mary FRY in 1771 and Jane WHITE in 1782 both in Congresbury, Somerset.
I have the parish records for both marriages and the burial record for Mary, also Congresbury
I have recently found John`s burial in 1821 in Yatton, at the age of 77 (Yatton is about a mile from Congresbury)
That should make his birth around 1744, but cant find it anywhere. I have gone through Yatton registers from 1740 to 1750
I have found baptisms for a Dianna FLEW in 1736, William in 1738 and Mary in 1740, all in Yatton with same parents, William and Mary
The name FLEW is not that common, and I suspect that John is their brother, I just cant find him.
Maybe he wasn`t baptised, was it usual for children not to be baptised back then?
His first wife was baptised in Wrington, and I have tried there.

I searched Ancestry for whole of Somerset and there is a John FLEW baptised around the right time in Carhampton, but I think that is too far away, or is it possible.

Any suggestions please?

malyon

malyon Report 22 Feb 2017 23:17

I found a dianna flew john flew and mary flew all christened on the same day 1n 1740

John Flew
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
christening:
4 July 1740
All Saints, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
residence:

Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
father:
David Flew

Mary Flew
christening:
4 July 1740
All Saints, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
residence:
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
father david flew

Diana Flew
christening:
4 July 1740
ALL SAINTS, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND
father:
David Flew

Carol

Carol Report 23 Feb 2017 00:30

Thank you for that Malyon, certainly worth looking into

With an unusual surname like Flew, what are the chances of 2 families having a Diana and a Mary in different parts of the country around the same year.

I feel sure there is a link somehow.

Think I need to be looking at settlement and/or removal records.

Thanks again