Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 lookup please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Flip

Flip Report 18 Mar 2017 13:51

Hi all

I'm looking for Mary Kearney born 17/7/1916 in Nurney, Co Kildare. I believe she came to England c1932 and married in Grange over Sands (Lancashire) in 1940, I believe she was living in that area since she arrived in England, but am not sure of this.

I have her birth, death, etc & that of her twin William, just looking to find her in 1939.

Thanks in advance
Flip

Maddie

Maddie Report 18 Mar 2017 14:21

this is the only one that comes up

1939 Register Transcription

Kearney Household (1 Person) 29 Oswald Road , Manchester C.B., Lancashire, England
Attach to tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Mary Kearney - Female - Single 192 1

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 18 Mar 2017 14:22

Did she marry Flip? It might be under her married name the way they seem to index it

Jude

Joseph

Joseph Report 18 Mar 2017 14:28

This could be her marriage

Marriages Mar 1940
Kearney Mary Smith Ulverston 8e 2207
Smith Robert Kearney Ulverston 8e 2207

Flip

Flip Report 18 Mar 2017 14:31

Hi both

Yes she married 25/3/1940 to my grandfather Robert Smith. From what her step daughter told me, she came over from Ireland at age 16 (ish) and lived with relatives in the Lindale/Grange area and worked in local hotels.

Her father (from the marriage cert) was Christopher, a farmer - which is a bit of an stretch of the truth - her step daughter told me she visited the family in Ireland, and they were literally living at a small holding, no electric, gas or running water and were as poor as church mice!

I've confirmed her birth, and that of her twin in Athy 1916, and she also had a brother Peter but I'm not sure when he was born.

Maddie

Maddie Report 18 Mar 2017 14:42

sorry nothing under Smith (Kearney)
only i smith in grange

Charney Hall School Charney Road , Grange U.D., Lancashire, England
Attach to tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Mary Smith 23 Jul 1916 Female Domestic Servant Single 75 9

Flip

Flip Report 18 Mar 2017 14:53

Hi Maddie, thanks for looking but she was definitly a Kearney (or variants on the surname) prior to her marriage in 1940 so pretty sure that is not her. There were a lot of Smith's in the area - my ancestors had been there since the early 1800s all having a lot of children.

I couldn't find anything conclusive for her whereabouts in 1939 so thought I'd check if I'd missed something.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 19 Mar 2017 08:24

Here is Robert (I think)

Smith Household (3 People)
4 Stone Terrace , Grange U.D., Lancashire, England
Attach to tree View original imagePrint
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Robert Smith 25 Nov 1909 Male Stone Mason Widowed 50 3
Robert Smith 10 Dec 1869 Male Stone Mason Married 50 1
Mary Smith 30 Jul 1870 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 50 2

So a second marriage for him?

Not finding Mary...maybe she was in Scotland?

Jude

Flip

Flip Report 19 Mar 2017 08:41

Morning Jude

Yes that's Robert, back with his parents after the death of his first wife - his 2 young children were with their maternal grandparents at the time. You could be right about Mary, there's no sign of her anywhere - maybe back in Ireland or like you say Scotland although I don't know of any Scottish connection.

Have you found your elusive Eva Bevan on the 1939, or are you still waiting for the 1921 census?

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 19 Mar 2017 09:30

Re Scotland, I just wondered...but back in Ireland is probably a better thought.

No not found her in 1939...so 1921 is my only hope I think!

I have a schools admission that gives her birthday as 08 November 1880. But the corresponding birth in bmd is Jul/Aug/Sep 1880 - always assuming I have the correct one (which I think I do)

:-S

Flip

Flip Report 19 Mar 2017 09:47

Have you looked at the Eva Biffin b 1880 living in Hampshire in 1939? I don't have a FMP sub.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 19 Mar 2017 11:01

I hadn't but she's on 1911 in Hampshire with Thomas brother (same on 1939)

Jude

Flip

Flip Report 19 Mar 2017 16:01

Oh well it was worth a shout! Back to the drawing board - will you ever put this family to rest? No guess not :-D