Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irene Marsh

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 17 Aug 2017 21:54

Hi
My mum was born Irene Marsh on 1st July 1925, Marsh was my Grandma's maiden name and was unmarried when she had my mum,the father was not recorded on my mums birth certificate and was never talked about, my grandma lived in St Helens but my mums birth was recorded as Warrington, would my mum have been born in a home for unmarried mothers at that time ? I am curious about my mums father although I may never be able to find out who he is and if he had other children.

June

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Aug 2017 22:04

If you have an address on the birth cert and it's not the home address, google it and see if it comes up as a mother and baby home? or post it here and someone will look.

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Aug 2017 22:08

You could check the address here as well

www.childrenshomes.org.uk

Andy

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Aug 2017 22:08

Hi June,

Often an address was used on some birth certificates that gave the impression that it may have been a *home but was the actual postal address of a hospital..in some cases an annex was used attached to the local hospital for the deliveries of babies or in your case it may have been a *mother and baby home*---most babies from that era were home delivered as it it cost to go to these private run as no NHS exsisted then.

Have you looked up the address.?

As for the other it may not be possible to discover a name for the father.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Aug 2017 04:24

With no father named then there's very little chance of finding the name .unless it was known in the family and the info has been passed down