Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Russell Withington

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Russell

Russell Report 25 Jan 2003 22:43

I am Eileen Withington (nee Esbach) trying to trace my grandfather Fritz Frederick Theodore Esbach who was born in East London in South Africa in 1867. (1881 Census) A relative told that "He was born in Latvia and ran away from home when he was aged 12 and boarded an American Navy ship, working as a ship's carpenter, and was at the Battle of Cuba where he was wounded in the knee, giving him a slight limp. He jumped ship in America and boarded a British merchant ship. Again he jumped ship, at Liverpool. He got work as a navvy building the Manchester Ship Canal, and later became a Joiner and Ladder-maker". He married his first wife named Sarah Hughes, in Manchester. They had three children, Mabel, Frederick (who had a twin brother who died), and Florence (Florrie). His second wife was Elizabeth Coulson and they had four children; John, Doris, Alonzo and Walter David. Elizabeth died soon after the birth of Walter in 1912. The children were were fostered by other members of of the family. His third and last wife was Anne Bessick. She already had a child of her own, Lily, who became Frederick's step-daughter. If anyone is related to an Esbach or Esback or Bessick then I would be pleased to receive any information which might help in my search. Eileen Withington (nee Esbach)