Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Allen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 15 Feb 2013 18:39

Hi James

You have replied to an old posting.........Dated 2006.

If you click on David's name, you can send him a message. If he still a member and has the same email address, GR will notify him of your message.

James

James Report 15 Feb 2013 18:10

Hello, David: I recently (re)joined GR so I've just read your post re Joyce Allen. I'm descended from the Tiffen side of the family, but have the following information (excerpted from a larger file). I didn't know about son Edwin, noted by you. I have a photo of Jessie Tiffen (and some other relatives). If you let me have your email address I can send you copies. - Jim Campbell

Jessie Tiffen, born 1899 (GRE 10b p.596), married Joseph Allen, 2nd quarter, 1935, Wigton (GRE 10b p.1400). They had 3 children:

Geoffrey Allen, b. ~1935
Joyce Allen, b. ~1937
Hugh Allen, b. ~1940

When Hughie was about 1, Jessie's dress caught fire and she was badly burned trying to protect her children. Hilda Mason (Jessie's sister-in-law) accompanied her to hospital. Jessie died there 6 hours later (August, 1941). John and Hilda raised Joyce as a member of their own family. Aunt Martha Jane adopted Hughie, and Geoffrey stayed with his father.

David

David Report 10 Mar 2006 01:23

Joyce Looking to trace relatives of Joyce Allan, ( father a grocer called Joseph ? )born October 1937 in the Carlisle Wigton area, believed she had brothers Edwin, Hugh, Jeff and mother (jessie?) died when young and she was adopted/fostered back to her Aunt, a Hilda Tiffen ?? any blanks filling would be appreciated :) David