Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Ross

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Drinagh

Drinagh Report 1 Sep 2004 02:18

Hi, my name is Brian Ross-Murphy and I was born in Co Wexford, Ireland but now live in NZ. I am trying to find any earlier links on the RMs. In a book, British Campaign Furniture, by Nicholas A Brawer, there is a reference to the founding in early 1800s a furniture manufacturing business by James Ross Murphy and his brother Patrick Murphy. What we have is James (we think) marrying a Miss Ross (could be Mary) in 1842 as I have the silver tea service given as a wedding present. They had several sons one of whom was Joseph born about 1848. He married an Emily (we have no surname) and was a second marriage no issue from the first. She was born in 1850 and died in Dublin in 1922. Because of the use of both Ross and Murphy on their own and combined (on my birth certificate its unhyphenated) its quite difficult to trace. Joseph and Emily had a number of children one of whom, Clement Pius, is my Grandfather. Any assistance would be welcome and all responses will be acknowledged and given access to my tree. The 1901 census lists Ross Murphy's as living at 9-10 Ellis Quay, Dublin which is where the business was located. Thanks and Best Wishes

Spongecake

Spongecake Report 13 Mar 2013 15:12

Dear Brian, I have just come across your v. old posting by chance. Patrick Murphy is my x3g-grandfather. His son, Dennis Murphy came across to Newcastle Upon Tyne around 1910-1920 (married in Doncaster 1919). I am trying to find out further information about the Murphy's and would be grateful if you could pass on what you know. All very interesting re. the campaign furniture and the history there.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards, Karman

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Mar 2013 15:21

As Brian seems never to have returned to his post, he is unlikely to see your message

If you think his e-mail may still be the same as it was nine years ago, click on his name and send a contact message

If you would like help with your research, post a thread of your own

Are you aware that 1901 and 1911 Irish censuses are free?

Google for link to website..........

Spongecake

Spongecake Report 13 Mar 2013 17:43

thanks Reggie, I had already sent him an e-mail on the off-chance ...