Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Monk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Jan 2004 06:30

I am looking for relations of my great grandmother Emma Monk (Burnham, Bucks) who married David Miles in 1879. Emma was the oldest daughter of Charles Monk (1832 - Burnham - son of John and Mary) and Harriett Mills (1835 Compton, Surrey - daughter of Richard and Harriett Mills). Emma Monk (Henry's mother) had eight brothers and sisters: Mary Anne (1861), Elizabeth (1863), Henry (1865), Hannah (1867), Alice (1869), Jane (1872), Walter (1874), and Rose (1880). My grandfather, Henry Charles Miles was born to David and Emma at Beavor Cottage on Beavor Lane in Hammersmith June 20,1883. Emma's husband, David Miles, was born in 1853 in Basildon, Berks to Isaac Miles and Maria Hearne. David Miles (Emma's husband) had a Sister Sarah (1848) and a brother Albert (1859) he also had a half sister, Kate (1864), and two half brothers, John born in Basildon in 1863 and Henry (1869). John, Kate and Henry's mother was Ellen Smith who married Isaac after Maria and Albert's deaths - Kate and Henry may have changed their last name to Hearne when their mother remarried after their father's (Isaac) death. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- David and Emma had five other children: Ellen (1880), Albert David (1881), Mabel Beatrice (1890), Walter George (1897), and Dorothy Winifred (1900). Albert and Henry both came to the US (Boston) between 1901 and 1912 and enlisted in the service in Canada during WWI. Henry came to Buffalo, NY - married my grandmother Augusta Steffen, they had 5 children; Grace, Charles, Harold, Alfred and David. Albert went on to Calgary, Alberta, Canada and married Dorothy Winifred Miles married George Scrace and they had a child, Richard David Scrace born in 1923. Any additonal information about members of this family would be appreciated. Success!!! We found the family of John who married Rose Brazier in the mid 1880's, John and Rose had five children; Henry (1888), Rose Ethel (1889), Jack (1890), Alice Constance (1894), and Mary Anne (1897). In addition, Henry Miles (John's brother) married Emma Brazier (Rose's sister). Still looking for relations of the other family members. Your help is greatly appreciated.