Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find ancestor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 12 Nov 2002 14:28

Alison WALKER has raised some good points but I would like to comment on some of them: 1). She says it is usual to trace the male line only. This really is terribly old-fashioned and sexist. I would suggest that people who are interested should trace the male AND female lines - the women are just as important and interesting, if not more so. 2). Census - just to clarify for those not familiar, the census is closed for 100 years, this means that the most recent census available for viewing and searching is that dated 1901 which was made public on 1st January 2002. 3). FreeBMD (www.freebmd.org) is a superb resource. Entirely managed and worked on by volunteers and not yet complete - but they are working very fast. FreeBMD is the Births, Marriages and Deaths index from July 1837 (when formal registration began) until December 1901. To be honest, I'm not sure what Alison means when she says that that some of it is 'blurred'. Best wishes, Simon.