Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ive got a new mystery and now searching for more i

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 6 Feb 2007 21:42

Hi all, Im taking a break from Deirdre for a minute as not getting nowhere so im doing a little search for my little nan for details of her uncle, Albert Arthur Pumfrett, i dont know when he was born but do know when he died, he died on 26th october 1942 aged 17 in action was a private 1/7th battalion, middlesex regiment so would he born about 1925? What we are confused about is that he was married and had 3 kids, who are: Jean born abt 1936 Gloria abt 1937 and David abt 1940. My nan was told her uncle never got to see David as was in the war but 2 years is long time i thought. He married a Joan, dont know when and where or her surname but we are confused that he died at 17 and was married and had 3 children, my nan also said he lied about his age so he could join the army. Can anyone help with this or am i asking to much of you kind people? Thankyou in advance. Joanne (joanne lowe) changed name now.

Scouser from Leicester

Scouser from Leicester Report 6 Feb 2007 21:43

Are you sure he wasn't 27 when he died and it was a typo possibly born 1915 Paul

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 6 Feb 2007 21:48

How about this birth? Name: Albert A Pumfrett Year of Registration: 1914 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar Mother's Maiden Name: Parks District: West Ham County: Essex, Greater London Volume: 4a Page: 614

Janice

Janice Report 6 Feb 2007 21:53

Cannot see his death listed in 1942? Janice

Scouser from Leicester

Scouser from Leicester Report 6 Feb 2007 21:56

Found Arthur A Pumfrett born W ham jan feb mar 1914 Vol 4a page 614 maybe him Paul

ValT

ValT Report 6 Feb 2007 22:05

Entry from the War Graves site PUMFRETT, ALBERT ARTHUR Private died 26/10/1942 Age Unknown Middlesex Regiment United Kingdom Val

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 6 Feb 2007 22:07

Paul, I think my nan must be wrong about his age coz it dont add up so yes he might of been 27. Jo

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 6 Feb 2007 22:07

His death's listed on the CWGC site - it won't be in the BMD index as he was killed in action. This looks like Jean's birth - if you apply for the cert. it'll give you the father's name and occupation and the mother's name. 2nd quarter 1936: Pumfrett Jean M.R., Edmonton, 3a 1288, mother's maiden name Gambles.

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 6 Feb 2007 22:07

Keith, Thankyou for looking for me, i have noted your findings down. Jo

Janice

Janice Report 6 Feb 2007 22:08

Two Children found. Jean M R Pumfrett Born June Quarter 1936 in Edmonton. Did not take reference number but will go back for it. Gloria J Pumfrett Born Edmonton in 1938 Reference 3a 1178 Will check back for quarter of Gloria & reference of Jean. Janice

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 6 Feb 2007 22:09

Janice, I cant find it either but he was killed in action WW2, think it was and was buried in Egypt so would we still find a record for his death in this country? Jo

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 6 Feb 2007 22:09

Paul, Thankyou, ive noted that 1 down aswell. Jo

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 6 Feb 2007 22:11

Val, Yes same info as what i have, thankyou for looking. Jo

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 6 Feb 2007 22:12

This is the record of his death someone found me from the great war forum. PUMFRETT, ALBERT ARTHUR Initials: A A Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment Unit Text: 1/7th Bn. Date of Death: 26/10/1942 Service No: 6204863 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: XI. E. 22. Cemetery: EL ALAMEIN WAR CEMETERY I think my nan must be wrong bout his age myself because ive found this record from the cemetery where he is laid to rest. Birth: unknown Death: Oct. 26, 1942 Private, 1/7th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment. Age: Unknown. Burial: El Alamein War Cemetery Alamein, Egypt Plot: XI. E. 22. Joanne

ValT

ValT Report 6 Feb 2007 22:13

Hi Joanne, found A A Pumfrett's marriage. Mar 1936 3a 1184 Edmonton to Joan C Gambles Val

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 6 Feb 2007 22:14

Mary, All day today ive been looking on that site and i cant find it at all, coz the man from find a grave told me it was there as he has done a memorial site for my nans uncle in egypt but i cant find it, how did you find it please? Thankyou for looking and also for Jeans birth. Joanne

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 6 Feb 2007 22:17

Here's the last child: 2nd quarter 1941: David J.A. Pumfrett, mother's maiden name Gambles, Edmonton 3a 1213

Janice

Janice Report 6 Feb 2007 22:19

Gloria was September Quarter 1938 Ref: 3a 1178 Jean was June Quarter 1936 Ref: 3a 1288 David J A Pumfrett born Edmonton June Quarter 1941. Ref: 3a 1213 All Mothers maiden name Gambles. Was my next move to check army deaths but the information has been found, which is good. Janice

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 6 Feb 2007 22:19

Janice, Thankyou so much for your searching for me, your very kind along with everyone else thats helping. Im noteing this all down awww my little nan will be pleased. jo

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 6 Feb 2007 22:26

Here he is: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2211285 The search facility on that site's a bit odd - you have to put his surname and first initial, not his full Christian names, otherwise his name won't come up.