Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 Census Puzzle! (Still Needing some Help, Ple

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny Eves

Penny Eves Report 1 Dec 2006 23:02

See below ...

Penny Eves

Penny Eves Report 1 Dec 2006 23:03

I’m hoping that someone may be able to help me locate Mary SYRET(T) on the 1841 census. Mary (nee WATERS) was baptised in Cawston, Norfolk, in 1783 and married Thomas SYRET(T) in the late 1700s. I have found her in the following two censuses: 1851 – Mary SYRETT (widow), “formerly wife of confectioner”, living with her daughter Mary A.W. SOPER and her family in Southwark St. George, Surrey. 1861 – Mary SYRETT (widow), “annuitant”, still living with daughter’s family in Camberwell, Surrey. Daughter Mary (who was born in 1824 in Norwich) is obviously unmarried in 1841 (I found her husband, George SOPER, still living with his parents), but I’m also having trouble locating her! Any help would be very gratefully received! Penny

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 1 Dec 2006 23:13

this must be her bap MARY ANN WATERS SYRET Female Event(s): Birth: 12 JUL 1824 Christening: 30 JUL 1824 Saint Peter Mancroft, Norwich, Norfolk, England Death: Burial: Parents: Father: THOMAS SYRET Family Mother: MARY

Penny Eves

Penny Eves Report 2 Dec 2006 17:47

Yes, Jess, that's the daughter!

K

K Report 2 Dec 2006 18:12

1841? There is this couple - He was a ??? maker Mary Sarratt Age: 60 Estimated birth year: abt 1781 Household: View other family members Gender: Female Where born: Norfolk, England Civil parish: Little Walsingham Hundred: North Greenhoe County/Island: Norfolk Country: England Street address: Occupation: View image Source information: HO107/772/14 Registration district: Walsingham Sub-registration district: Walsingham ED, institution, or vessel: 14 Folio: 7 Page: 6 (click to see others on page) Line number: 12 GSU Number: 438859 Record Mary Sarratt abt 1781 Norfolk, England Little Walsingham Norfolk View Record Thomas Sarratt abt 1781 Norfolk, England Little Walsingham Norfolk

Penny Eves

Penny Eves Report 2 Dec 2006 23:52

Many thanks, K, for your efforts - but I don't think this Mary is mine. The occupation given is 'Harness Maker' (husband Thomas was a grocer/confectioner all his life) and I'm not even sure if it's even transcribed correctly as 'Sarratt' as the initial letter is very different to other instances of names beginning with 'S' on the same page. Where is this woman (and her daughter)????? Penny

Rachel

Rachel Report 3 Dec 2006 10:37

I can't see ant of the family for definate on the 1841 census, I even tried the remaining children without luck. Sorry do you have the other children's baptisums? IGI - extracted AMELIA SYRET Birth: 23 MAR 1808 Christening: 04 APR 1808 Saint Peter Mancroft, Norwich, Norfolk, England Parents: Father: THOMAS SYRET Mother: MARY WATERS MARY ANN SYRET Birth: APR 1810 Christening: 10 APR 1810 Saint Peter Mancroft, Norwich, Norfolk, England Death: 27 FEB 1811 Parents: Father: THOMAS SYRET Mother: MARY WARTERS JOHN WARTERS SYRET Birth: 22 NOV 1815 Christening: 03 DEC 1815 Saint Peter Mancroft, Norwich, Norfolk, England Death: 28 APR 1817 Parents: Father: THOMAS SYRET Mother: MARY THOMAS SYRET Birth: 16 JUN 1806 Christening: 22 JUN 1806 Saint Peter Mancroft, Norwich, Norfolk, England Parents: Father: THOMAS SYRET Mother: MARY WATERS FREDERIC SYRET Birth: 20 MAR 1820 Christening: 09 APR 1820 Saint Peter Mancroft, Norwich, Norfolk, England Parents: Father: THOMAS SYRET Mother: MARY ?? Amelia's marriage?? Name: Amelia Syrett Year of Registration: 1841 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar DISTRICT: City of London County: London, Middlesex Volume: 2 Page: 119 also on page Sarah Butcher Harriott Chapman John Chissen Henry Charles Irish William Warmington William Warnington

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Dec 2006 10:47

Is one of these entries your Thomas? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deaths Dec 1837 Syrett Thomas Hartismere 13 261 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deaths Mar 1839 ------------------------------------------------------------------ SYRETT Thomas Stepney 2 359 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deaths Jun 1847 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Syrett Thomas Greenwich 5 174 I'm trying to find an area for the family in 1841. Gwyn

Penny Eves

Penny Eves Report 3 Dec 2006 12:52

Hi everyone! Many thanks for all your replies. I have all the baptism/marriage information listed above (Thomas SYRETT, born 1806 in Norwich is my g-g-grandfather!). As far as the deaths are concerned, there is a chance that one of the Thomas's could be Mary's husband - my main reason for finding Mary on the 1841 is to ascertain if she is widowed. The family are most likely to be in London/Middlesex/Surrey by the late 1830s, as I have four directory entries for 'Thomas SYRETT' (variously pastrycooks and confectioners) from Pigot's 1839 Directory of London, and I know definitely that Thomas jnr. (born 1806) was in London by 1839 as he had the birth of a son registered there in that year. Unfortunately, I think mother and daughter Mary just don't want to be found! Penny