Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DURHAM RECORDS OFFICE Lookups CLOSED FOR TIME BEIN

Page 0 + 1 of 12

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~*~ Mo

~*~ Mo Report 30 Jan 2006 09:31

I am booked into Durham Records Office on Wednesday (ALL DAY 9am - 4pm) ..... 5th April ...... I will be closing the thread on Tuesday afternoon people... To sort all the requests out.........Maureen........ Add your requests to this thread PLEASE... No private IM'S please... Maureen

~*~ Mo

~*~ Mo Report 30 Jan 2006 09:31

If you would like something looking up please give as much detail as possible and I will try and Help if I can... Please be as specific as possible about year... and church... or the Eccalstical parish named on top of census form... if you can to make time for more searches. These searches that are undertaken are not just from CD's or on computer...eg. you cannot just punch a name in and it appears on the screen.. They are actual manual searches of the Microfilm on film readers.. Plus not just a registration district.. as some of them cover huge areas.. you will need to supply more than just a registration district code.. No Blanket searches undertaken.... Maureen Anyone who doesn't reply with the additional info that I request............. I may not be able to help...... I have quite a lot of work on but anyone with a simple request and not just for eg birth in Sunderland are quite welcome to put a request on.. How many I will get done is anyone's guess.. Maureen

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 30 Jan 2006 09:45

Maureen Thanks for the offer. Does this cover newspaper obituaries in 1840? Im looking for death notices, hoping to find family names. 1. Gabriel Rawlings a Excise Officer died 22nd April 1840 age 65 Ward Terrace Bishopwearmouth 2 Gabriel Rawlings a Tailor died 28 October 1840 age 31 East Cross Street Bishopwearmouth I have the death certificates. Thanks Sue If this isnt sufficient info Sorry. Please dont waste your time

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 30 Jan 2006 09:53

Thank You Not to worry if its not available. Sue

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 30 Jan 2006 09:58

Hello Maureen, considering the help I have had already I hope you din't mind me asking but I would be grateful if you have time. Looking for a baptism of Hannah HARRISON @1772 Houghton, Durham there is the very slightest chance her name could be recorded as MORRISON Her father is Matthew. Many thanks Helen x

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 30 Jan 2006 10:04

Hello Maureen, I am not sure if Southwick in Bishopwearmouth is covered but if so, please can I ask for a look up for the baptisms of Catherine (Kate) Pope in 1867 and her sister Elizabeth in 1869. They are the children of Joseph and Mary Ann Pope. Kind Regards Claire x

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 30 Jan 2006 10:23

Hi Mo, I am really sorry I dont know which one. The census image just put Southwick in the parish box so I have no idea. Apologies. I appreciate this will be too hard now. Claire xx

~*~ Mo

~*~ Mo Report 30 Jan 2006 10:37

Deb I think because your not sure of where the info will be.. I would recommend you have a search of the Records Archives Site and find out if there is anything available for the Waterworks first.. If they have anything about the waterworks and the area.. you will find a reference number.. I would need that number to search for the documentation at the Records Office Good Luck www(.)durham(.)gov(.)uk dont forget to remove the brackets and follow the links for Durham Records Office in popular pages to see if you can find out anything

Roger

Roger Report 30 Jan 2006 10:40

Maureen the First Edition of The Northern Echo was published in 1870 so no good for 1840. Durham Chonical and Advertiser is an1840 paper but i know that the Echo that owns them now doesnot have the older copies as I have tried them for my own trees. Roger

Tc

Tc Report 30 Jan 2006 11:59

Hi Maureen Many thanks for your kind offer,please could you have a look for the burial details in St Johns church Shildon for Ralph Stubbs (1877 aged 60'ish) and his brother William (1878 56'ish) Many thanks Tom

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 30 Jan 2006 12:01

Hi Maureen Thank you for the kind offer, could you please check 2 deaths for me. John Morralee d. 4/9/1768 Mary Moralee d. 11/7/1779 The are both St Thomas, Stanhope What I am looking for is ages and if the parish record says if they were related (I know some do and some don't put this info on). Thank you Kim

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 30 Jan 2006 12:02

Sorry Maureen.... I put one of those.....@ then 1772 ...they have deleted again in this message!GR!! I think that it is Haughton (rather than Le Spring) the marriage in Esh register said Houghton, near Darlington. Sorry! Helen x

****Nicky

****Nicky Report 30 Jan 2006 12:15

What a lovely lady offering to do this. I am desperately trying to find the baptism of Stephen Patterson/Pattison born 1804/1805 in Painshaw/ Penshaw or any Pattersons from this tiny village. Been trying for ages so any inkling would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Nicky, far, far away in Taunton, Somerset.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Jan 2006 15:09

Thanks so much for the offer, Maureen. My gt. grandfather, Thomas TURNBULL was baptised 20 Aug., 1848 in Ingleton, Durham. His father was Thomas Turnbull, his mother, Elizabeth. I am desperately searching for Elizabeth's maiden name. Would it be on the baptismal record, do you think? I would order his birth certificate if I could only find the GRO numbers but I have searched 1837 online and the only one that is close is completely unreadable. I suspect that they didn't bother registering the births because I can't find his brothers, either. I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you, Margaret in Canada

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 30 Jan 2006 15:43

Hi Mo, Only just seen your messages as i am at work. I was about to say that i would go with Holy Trinity as well. I hope it doesnt cause too many problems. I appreciate this. Claire xx

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Jan 2006 15:50

Further to my message re: Thomas TURNBULL, Ingleton, I should have mentioned that the baptismal record came from the Record Office, Durham. They said it was from the index of baptisms in Ingleton covering the years 1844-1901. They said that a photocopy of the entry could be provided for 4 pounds sterling but since I'm in Canada and they don't accept charge cards or money orders, I would have to send a cheque for $32 which is about 15 pounds sterling. I haven't done that because I don't know if the entry would even have the mother's maiden name. Thanks, again, Maureen. Margaret in Canada

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Jan 2006 16:09

Yes, Maureen, I had seen that marriage of Thomas Turnbull and Elizabeth Peacock on FreeBMD and if I can only prove that my Thomas' mother was Elizabeth Peacock, I planned to send off for that certificate. I'd be on a roll again! Margaret in Canada

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 30 Jan 2006 22:13

Hi Maureen Hope your well. Would you mind checking Stanhope for the baptism of Joseph Lowrey/Lowery c1824/1825 father - Thomas Lowrey a miner Thankyou Jacqui

Doreen

Doreen Report 30 Jan 2006 22:36

Hi Maureen I have a copy of my grandfathers death certificate EA572664 entry 30 (He had no birth Certificate) from what document did the registrar get his date and place of birth? My uncle who registered his death can not remember what he gave them, is it possible to find out? Neil

~*~ Mo

~*~ Mo Report 31 Jan 2006 00:14

Neil What year was the death registered and were the family still in the same area of where they were born ?? If they were still in the area they may have looked up his birth record but in some cases the deaths are registered by a relative and they are asked the particulars of that person hence why you can get a few years age difference on a few of the certs because the informant did'nt know Mo