Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Now have Access to Ancestru US and Some Canada CLO

Page 0 + 1 of 7

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 17:43

Hi All had offered immigration lookups and found that the information given was not enough to search with as there are hundreds of each name. Looking for some of my family also so have invested in the US census records so if I missed anyone on the last thread please repeat your message and I will try and link the names from immigration to the census records may help tracking them down. Sorry for any inconvenience in closing last thread but it was impossible to search thousands of names with the information I was receiving. Hopefully this will work better Regards to all Mary

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 5 Jul 2005 18:02

Hi Mary. Looking for John Ovens, born 1811 in Ireland, possibly Co. Fermanagh. Lived in Jersey City, New Jersey in 1842 when he married Jane Wakefield. Possible parents were William and Elizabeth Ovens. Occupation: teacher; but owned fancy goods establishment once he settled in Canada in 1850's. Generous people have searched New Jersey census for him, but found nothing. I don't know when he left Ireland; I've found him on the New Jersey census in 1851, but I'm trying to find him on an earlier U.S. census. If you need more precise dates, I understand not being able to search for him. If this is enough information, thank you for your help. Thank you, Lisa.

Tc

Tc Report 5 Jul 2005 18:12

Hi Mary Please could you look at USA immigration records for Joseph Jonas, born 1870, Leith Edinburgh, occ- Furrier Mary Violet Jonas (wife) born 1873 Swansea Wales Richard Maurice Jonas (son) born 1904 London Pauline Jonas (mother) born 1845 Prussia They left ?? London between 1904 - 1906 second child, born in Philidelphia in 1906 Any information on this family greatly recieved Tom

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 18:35

TOM Bb Hi Tom did look on immigration records but could not find anything as there were loads but will now look on census records that might be easier only just subscribed today so see what I can find Mary Hope you are keeping well

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 5 Jul 2005 18:38

Hi Mary Do you have Canadian details on there please,I am looking for any information on Phillip Archibald Gibbs born Wales 1893 died Canada 1960,He married in Winnipeg 1920 i was wondering when he went there and if his parents were with him and were there were any sibling with him. Many thanks Gwen

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 18:52

TOM Bb What was the name of the second child that was born Philledelphia as yet can see nothing for the names you gave me that correspond with birth dates. are those actual birth dates or is it around that time mary

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 18:53

GWEN Hi there did get your last message but as I explained there were so many I thought it would be easier to find them on the census records will check for you now Mary

Tc

Tc Report 5 Jul 2005 18:59

Hi Mary Her name was Margaret Banfield Jonas born 1906 Thanks Tom

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 19:05

GWEN I Take it that you have not been able to find Phillip Archibald on th 1901 wales/english census Mary

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 5 Jul 2005 19:16

Thank you so much for finding Albert Norman for me. I'm pretty certain this is the right one. I have found Walter (1858) in Orleans in 1920 and he gives an emmigration date also of 1875 but Harry (1867) appears to have left England in 1877/9. Many thanks for the time and trouble you have taken.

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 19:20

LISA J IN CALIFORNIA So sorry cant find him an any census before the 1851 New Jersey I also like you found his marrage and his children but nothing for him Mary

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 5 Jul 2005 19:29

Hi Mary. You found a marriage for John? I only know of his marriage year from Jane's obituary in 1928. Was there an exact date given or any details? Also, did you find information of his children somewhere besides the 1851 census? Sorry for all of the questions, I've only found this family on the 1851 census and a birth record from 1849 of my ggrandfather, Robert. Thank you for your help, Mary. I really appreciate it.

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 19:33

TOM Bb Hi Tom Cant seem to find them on the census records but have found their deaths if you dont have this info get back to me Mary PS will keep looking for census

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 19:40

NESS Send my your E mail and I will try and forward the images to you Yes have found your Harry as well as the other two on the census records but only found albert on immigration Mary

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 19:42

LISA J IN CALIFORNIA Be right back will check now for you. It is not a problem ask at anytime am stuck on my lot at moment and it seems a waste of money to have the subscription and not to use it Mary

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 19:59

LISA J IN CALIFORNIA So Far this is what I have found if I repeat what you already have then sorry. I have found more children I dont know if you have them will give you this and then will start looking back. John Ovens Married Jane Wakefield 1842 New Jersey Jane Wakefield Birth 25th December 1822 Ireland Death 22 April 1928 Toronto Sorry it does not give exact date for Marriage Children Eliza Ovens Born 1843 New Jersey Fanny Ovens born 1847 New Jersey Matilda Ovens born 10th December USA Robert Ovens born 10th Dec 1849 USA (Twins) Jane Jennie Ovens born 1858 Ontario Canada Edward Ovens born 1862 Ontario Canada Hope this helps if you already have this then sorry but I will try and track the childrens birth certs and census records for John and Eliza prior to 1850 although it might be that they left Ireland later than you thought mary

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 5 Jul 2005 20:14

Hi Mary. This is the second time I've tried replying -- computer did something odd -- hopefully my message didn't end up somewhere else. Thank you very much for the information. Some of it I did have, some I didn't, but the most important thing was that you found confirmation of something I had only guessed about -- the middle name for Jane, which now confirms who 'Jennie' Ovens was (I found an obit for Jennie Ovens in Canada). I would really appreciate any assistance you can offer, as I have two lines that I'm very interested in, one being the Ovens. I don't know when John Ovens or Jane Wakefield left Ireland, perhaps it was just prior to 1842. May I ask for one more thing, when you have time in the future? Would you have anything for a James Mumford, born 26-Oct-1826 in Hatfield, England (most likely Hatfield, Essex). He was a butcher. I don't know if he went straight to Canada, or went through the U.S. I guess I am looking for his immigration, as I don't think lived in the States. Please don't bother with this, though, until you are really bored and have helped everyone else. :~) Thank you so very much, Mary.

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jul 2005 22:29

n

Tc

Tc Report 5 Jul 2005 22:37

Hi Mary Many thanks for looking for the Jonas family, I don,t have the death info, this will be very useful Regards Tom

Carol

Carol Report 6 Jul 2005 02:53

Hello Mary, Could you please look for imigration of James FLEW b. 1856 Somerset wife Annie and children. I think they left England about 1912-1916 and went to Ontario, Canada. Thank you.