Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rainy Day Guildhall Library ((CLOSED)

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2005 16:31

Sorry Guys, I no longer work near the library - Sorry

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2005 16:32

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING THE GUILDHALL ONLY HAS RECORDS FOR THE CITY OF LONDON ('THE SQUARE MILE'). OTHER LONDON AND MIDDLESEX RECORDS ARE HELD AT LONDON METROPOLITAN OR WESTMINSTER ARCHIVES PLEASE ADD YOU REQUESTS TO THIS THREAD AND NOT BY PERSONAL MESSAGE I AM NOT PREPARED TO TAKE PHOTOCOPIES FOR ANYONE PARISH RECORDS - PLEASE GIVE ME THE NAME OF THE CHURCH IN YOUR REQUEST Before posting, please check that the parish you are interested in is part of the City of London (Square Mile) and not Middlesex. A list of City of London parishes can be found at http://www.gendocs(.)demon(.)co(.)uk/city-ch.html (remove brackets). In addition to that list the Guildhall also hold the parish records for St Leonards Shoreditch. BAPTISMS - Please give me the baptism date and not the birth date. If you are lucky (especially after about 1812) the record may also tell you their address and father's occupation. MARRIAGES - Before 1837 you will usually only get the names of the witnesses, whether they were a widow or spinster and if they came from that parish. After 1837 they are copies of the registered certificate and so particularly helpful. BURIALS - You will probably only get their address and age from these records. If you have an IGI entry it only takes a few minutes to verify. If you don’t have an IGI record but think you know which church please give me a clear range of dates to search. APPRENTICESHIP RECORDS This list gives you an idea of the Apprenticeship records available at the Guildhall. http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/livlist.htm IMPORTANT – I am only willing to check Apprenticeship records if you have first looked at the above site and found out the MS numbers that you would like me to look at. (If the MS numbers turn out not to be held on Microfilm I cannot help you). OTHER RECORDS I am only willing to look at other records if they are held in the Manuscripts Section and if you can provide me with full details and/or an MS number. If you require more information about the Manuscript Section take a look at www.history.ac.uk/gh/gene.htm The Guildhall Library main site which allows you to look at their online catalogue is http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/leisure_heritage/libraries _archives_museums_galleries/city_london_libraries/guildhall_lib.htm PLEASE STATE CLEARLY WHAT YOU WANT ME TO LOOK AT AND WHAT YOU ARE HOPING I MIGHT FIND Lyla

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jun 2005 13:17

I hope I haven't scared you all off with my new thread. I know it sounds a bit stern but I just trying to get across that as I have very limited time the more information you can give me the easier it is for me to go straight to the right record. I really am more than happy to help if you give me all the details. Lyla

Annie in

Annie in Report 20 Jun 2005 14:25

Hi, Lyla, Once again thank you! I have just copied and pasted the IGI info. Hope that is OK. xxx JANE CATHERINE MC FARLANE Female Event(s): Birth: 16 OCT 1847 Christening: 14 NOV 1847 St Botolph Without Aldgate, London, London, England Parents: Father: HENRY MC FARLANE Family Mother: ELIZA Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. Source Information: Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type: C025559 1836 - 1856 0380134 Film 6901255 Film C025559 1856 - 1875 0380135 Film NONE Sheet: 00 Thank you xxx

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jun 2005 13:30

Hi Annie, The details from the IGI are correct. The address given was 3 Princes Place, Rosemary Lane and Henry was a White Smith. Does that sound like your crowd? Lyla

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 Jun 2005 15:02

Hello Lyla, Whenever you have time, could you possibly look at the Watermen's Apprenticeship records re Matthew Matthews/Mathews. I will keep my fingers crossed that they are on microfilm! Apprenticeship bindings books: MS6289/18 - 11.11.1852 Matthew Matthews Apprenticeship Affidavit books: MS6291/5 - Matthew Matthews born c1837/38 Hammersmith or Chiswick (census information varies) The date for the binding is from Rob Cottrell's index, I am hoping this is the correct Matthew. Many thanks. Barbara

Annie in

Annie in Report 21 Jun 2005 16:09

Hi, Lyla, Thank you very much for taking the time out of your lunch break to look. I had thought Henry to be a cigar maker, though on the 61 it says segar maker/maken. Unfortunatly on Jane's marriage cert it just says deceased. So not much help really. I guess the only way forward to prove it, is to find either Jane's birth or the family on the 1851. I would think it quite a coincidence though, that another Jane Catherine Mcfarlane was born in Aldgate at the same time with a Father named Henry. However as every Genealogist knows, nothing is impossible! Many thanks for your help.

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Jun 2005 13:08

Hi Barbara I think you have got the wrong man! MS6289/18 11/11/1852 Matthews, Hammersmith Richard Adams bound his Apprentice George Matthews for 7 years beginning 11/11/1852. Free 22/12/1859 MS6291/5 11/11/1852 George Matthews born 1/9/1835 bapt 4/10/1835 Chiswick, Middx Had time for a quick look in the Quarterage book MS6401/4 and there were a lot of Matthews listed. There was only one Matthew Matthews and he was located at Hammersmith. It only tells that he became a free man in 1853. Lyla

Barbara

Barbara Report 23 Jun 2005 13:16

Hi Lyla, many many thanks for looking at the Watermen's apprentice index. So disappointing to have the wrong one. Still, more research to do! I'm very grateful for your time. Take care Barbara

Lesley

Lesley Report 12 Jul 2005 23:26

Hi Lyla, thanks for the offer Can you please look up the following and see if there is any additional information on the original record for the below? JAMES MARTEN Male Event(s): Birth: 08 OCT 1842; Christening: 19 MAR 1843 Christ Church, Camberwell, London, England Parents: Father: EDWIN MARTEN Family Mother: MARY A brother Frederick was christened on the same day. I'm particularly interested in whether the father's occupation or mother's maiden name was listed. Many thanks again Lesley

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jul 2005 09:05

Lesley & Jean I'm sorry but neither Kensington or Camberwell are in the City of London. Lyla

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jul 2005 14:31

Hi Tracey St. Leonards. Shoreditch 25/8/1817 Alice Hagger daughter of Stephen & Mary of Hoxton Town, Dyer (born 24/8/1816) 12/10/1818 Stephen George Hagger son of Stephen & Mary of Barton Court, Dyer (born 20/9/1818) Have a fantastic holiday. Lyla

Simon

Simon Report 13 Jul 2005 23:04

Hi Lyla, Can you have a look to see if there is any information about the marriage of John Yetton & Sarah Tolley in 1823, St Leonards, Shoreditch. Many thanks Simon

Sarah wants a

Sarah wants a Report 14 Jul 2005 00:13

Hi Lyla Would you kindly look up for me please the butcher apprenticeship records for my ancestors...which is ms6446/7. The surnames are Rymill and Sweby, the dates vary from my gt grandfather ..died 1921 to 1636 my 8 x gt grandfather. I have at least 8 generations of ancestors who are butchers and their siblings (ironic seeing as I'm a vegetarian) and as the names are unusual any that you will find will be mine..even if not directly. Many thanks Sarah

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jul 2005 19:54

Hi Simon For future reference could you please put the full date if it is available on familysearch. If I hadn't checked for myself (and it's not always possible) I would have had to scroll through January to October before I found the marriage. I don't mind doing a blanket search when the exact date is unknown but it is extremely annoying to have searched so many reels of film only to find that the information was readlily available on familysearch. Moan over - here are the details. 12/10/1823 John Yetton, bachelor married Sarah Tolley, spinster by banns, both of parish. Both signed with their mark. Witnesses were William Tolley, his mark and Thomas James France. Mr France was a serial witness attending most of the weddings so I would rule him out as a possible lead! Lyla

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jul 2005 19:55

Sarah I'm really sorry but the Butchers records are not on microfilm so I couldn't check them. Lyla

Lesley

Lesley Report 14 Jul 2005 20:31

Hi Lyla Thanks anyway Cheers Lesley

Simon

Simon Report 16 Jul 2005 01:49

Hi Lyla, Thanks for checking, sorry about the lack of info. Simon

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jul 2005 08:20

Hi Lyla Could you check this baptism entry for me when you have time please Rebecca Ann, Esther Mary & Samuel Thomas, children of Robert & Jane ASH all bapt 31 May 1775 St Botolph Bishopsgate Thanks :) David

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2005 14:39

Hi David The information is correct. There was no other information except that Rebecca Ann was 1 month old, Esther Mary was 3 yrs old and Samuel Thomas was (I think) 5 years old. Lyla