Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lookups available - Sussex Marriage Index upto 183

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 1 Jan 2005 19:21

Can do lookups for anyone finding a marriage in sussex upto the yeaar 1837 (with a few thereafter). Information varies but will provide a spouse and a location of marriage. Please provide first and last name and year if possible. Regards Ali

Lesley

Lesley Report 1 Jan 2005 19:55

Hi Alison Thanks for the offer. Can you please look up one of my most elusive ancestors! Edwin MARTEN or MARTIN, should be in the 1830s but don't know exactly when or where. Regards Lesley

Alison

Alison Report 1 Jan 2005 20:37

Hi Lesley, This was the only Edwin Martin on the CD. I searched on all years and with surname variants switched on. Hope this is the one. Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Ewhurst, East Sussex, Date: 11 Nov 1835: Subject: Edwin MARTIN Spouse: Henrietta HENLEY Regards Ali

Alison

Alison Report 1 Jan 2005 21:44

Hi Margaret, Can't seem to find yours on there - Sorry. The only John's I found were these, too early to be yours though: Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Donnington, West Sussex, Date: 29 Jun 1640: Subject: John BAVERSTOCK Spouse: Alice GROVER, wid (lic) Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Treyford cum Didling, West Sussex, Date: 7 Mar 1684/5: Subject: John BEVERSTOCK Spouse: Joyce SMITH Rgds Ali

Trudi

Trudi Report 1 Jan 2005 22:57

Hello Alison Thanks for the kind offer. If possible could you please look for a marriage of Thomas Heasman to a Ann in approx 1790's as well as a William Heasman to a Ann in the same time frame. Both around the Barcombe area in Sussex Sorry if I have not provided enough details as this is all I have. Many thanks Regards Trudi

Barbara

Barbara Report 3 Jan 2005 20:19

Hi Alison, When you have a minute I would appreciate a look up, please. Thomas Wickham JARVIS born 1799 Ticehurst married either Ann or Nancy about 1821. Thanks for your time and trouble. Barbara

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 3 Jan 2005 20:32

Hi Alison, Thank you for your offer. I am interested in George Coot(es) married 1833 Brighton, wifes name could have been Mary. Greetings, Elizabeth

Alison

Alison Report 9 Jan 2005 00:02

Hi Trudi, Thomas & Ann (inc. variations): Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Cuckfield, West Sussex, Date: 27 Dec 1737: Subject: Thomas HESMAN Spouse: Ann MITCHEL Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Steyning, West Sussex, Date: 7 Oct 1740: Subject: Thomas HESMAN, Cuckfield Spouse: Ann HESMAN, otsp thrice asked at Cuckfield as appears by cert: Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: East Hoathly, East Sussex, Date: 27 Jan 1771: Subject: Thomas HESMAN Spouse: Ann READ, botp (B) Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Cuckfield, West Sussex, Date: 15 Apr 1800: Subject: Thomas HEASMAN, bach Spouse: Ann MARCHANT, sp botp (B) Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Fletching, East Sussex, Date: 30 Jan 1817: Subject: Thomas HEASMAN, widr Spouse: Ann CORK, wid botp (B) William & Ann (inc. variations): Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Hamsey, East Sussex, Date: 23 Jan 1797: Subject: William HEASEMAN Spouse: Ann STAYNES, botp (lic) Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Archdeaconry of Lewes Marriage Licence, Date: 23 Jan 1797: Subject: William HEASMAN, bach 21+ servant Hamsey Spouse: Ann STAYNES, sp 25+ otsp Extra Information: Sponsors ss: W.H. Thos PATCHIN servant Lewes SRS 25 Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Shipley, West Sussex, Date: 15 Feb 1798: Subject: William HEASMAN Spouse: Ann BRISTOW, botp (B) Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Buxted, East Sussex, Date: 23 Apr 1805: Subject: William HEASMAN Spouse: Ann BRIDGER, botp (B) Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Fletching, East Sussex, Date: 26 Dec 1805: Subject: William HESMAN Spouse: Ann TESTER, botp (B) Hope yours turn out to be one of them. Good Luck Ali

Alison

Alison Report 9 Jan 2005 00:05

Hi Lorraine, Sorry - plenty of James Goble's but not the one you're looking for. My CD only goes up to 1837. Perhaps they got married ca.1850 if there first child was born in 1851?? All the Best Ali

Alison

Alison Report 9 Jan 2005 00:11

Hi Jan from the Windy West! This one could be yours... Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Rotherfield, East Sussex, Date: 26 Jun 1818: Subject: Thomas WILMSHURST, bach.otp. Spouse: Elizabeth MAYNARD, sp.otp.(B) Extra Information: Witness wit;Louisa WAGHORNJohn MAYNARD. There were 19 John Wilmshurst's, I have copied the ones from the 1800's for you. Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Lewes St. Michael, East Sussex, Date: 14 Feb 1804: Subject: John WILMSHURST Spouse: Elizabeth CROUCH, botp.(B) Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Brighton, East Sussex, Date: 24 Jan 1815: Subject: John WILMSHURST, widr.Cranbrook KEN (lic) Spouse: Ann BROOK, wid.otp. Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Rotherfield, East Sussex, Date: 23 Aug 1836: Subject: John WILMSHURST, bach.otp. Spouse: Martha SMITH, sp.otp.(B) Extra Information: Witness wit;James STEPHENSONMary BROWN. Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Buxted, East Sussex, Date: 26 Apr 1837: Subject: John WILMSHURST Spouse: Ann COLBRAN I can give you the others if you wish. Unfortunately, there were 270 matches for Wilmshurst's (inc. surname variations) - the CD will only let me copy them one by one, so I can't give you the full list I'm afraid. Let me know if you want some others looking up - they could be on there as well. Rgds Ali

Alison

Alison Report 9 Jan 2005 00:14

Hi Barbara, There were two entries for Thomas - the marriage licence and also the marriage itself... Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Archdeaconry of Lewes Marriage Licence, Date: 12 May 1821: Subject: Thomas JARVIS, bach of Ticehurst farmer age 21+ Spouse: Ann TERRY, sp of same age 24+ Extra Information: Sponsors ss: TJ; Thos SAWYER of Ticehurst farmer SRS 25 (Lewes) Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Ticehurst, East Sussex, Date: 14 May 1821: Subject: Thomas JARVIS Spouse: Ann TERRY, botp (lic) Rgds Ali

Alison

Alison Report 9 Jan 2005 00:17

Hi Elizabeth, I searched with surname variations and a 10 year range around 1833. This was the only George that came up - looks positive. Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Brighton, East Sussex, Date: 25 Jun 1833: Subject: George COOT, bach botp (B) Spouse: Mary WADY, sp Rgds Ali

Alison

Alison Report 9 Jan 2005 00:19

Hi Linda As you suspected - there were no Maughans. I searched for variations and still nothign I'm afraid. All the Best Ali

Alison

Alison Report 9 Jan 2005 00:27

Hi Barry This could be them... Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Glynde, East Sussex, Date: 25 Mar 1808: Subject: William ELLIS Spouse: Mary BANKS, botp (B) It appears that Glynde isn't that far from Framfield, only two parishes away. The only other William married to a Mary was... Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Fletching, East Sussex, Date: 18 Jul 1824: Subject: William ELLIS, bach Spouse: Mary DENTON, sp botp (B) And William Gurr married to Lydia, there was only one: Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Lewes St. John Southover, East Sussex, Date: 29 May 1801: Subject: William GURR Spouse: Lydia LLOYD, botp (B) All the Best Ali

Trudi

Trudi Report 9 Jan 2005 07:46

Hi Alison Thanks for the lookup have sent you a PM to say thanks for your time. Kind regards Trudi

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 9 Jan 2005 08:21

Hello Alison Could you please have a look for a marriage for me? The Husband is Joseph Obard (could be spelt Obbard) the wife is Mary ? the marriage would have taken place some time between 1775 and 1785 (unless of course they married after the birth of their first child...) the area would probably be around East Grinstead. Sorry I can't be more specific. I would also be interested to know how many other Obbard or Obard marriages the CD contains.

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 9 Jan 2005 09:04

Thank you Alison for your help on the marriage of George Coot. I have sent you an E-mail. Regards, Elizabeth

Midlands

Midlands Report 9 Jan 2005 13:35

Dear Alison, Please could you have a look for me and see if you can find the marriage of Samuel Cornwell, (or Cornwall) probably at St. Nicholas' Church, Brighton just prior to 1837. The wife's name could be Jane. Many thanks, Lynne

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 9 Jan 2005 14:22

Hi Alison Would you be able to look for the marriage of George Phillips and Ann, circa 1790. Their first child was baptised in Horsham in July 1791, but I've already checked the Horsham registers and couldn't find their marriage there. Possibly they were from one of the nearby parishes? Also seeking the marriage of John Boyd & Jane, circa 1835. He was from Steyning, but again his marriage was not in the Steyning register. Any help much appreciated, Richard in Australia.

Alison

Alison Report 9 Jan 2005 14:59

Hi Iris, Here they are: Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index: Place: Heathfield, East Sussex, Date: 29 Jun 1834: Subject: Benjamin Henry WATERS, otp (B) Spouse: Elizabeth HAFFENDEN NB: (B) means by Banns Heathfield is the neighbouring parish to Waldron. Rgds Ali