Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inmate at The Convent and Home of the Good Shepher

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 25 Feb 2008 19:51

I have been looking for my Great Grandmothers siblings in 1901 and believe that I have found her sister Sarah Golden age 15 as an inmate at The Convent and Home of the Good Shepherd in Orrel and Ford, Lancashire (which I believe to be near Liverpool somewhere).

It is listed as a reformatory. Please could anyone give me any idea as to why she might be there.

Both her grandparents were originally from Ireland and were catholic families. Her mother I believe was born in Liverpool but she was born in York, and the rest of her family were still there.

Was she pregnant and banished away??

or was it like a prison where she was being punished for being naughty??

I have tried Googling with no success. Any help would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Dawn

Dawn

Dawn Report 25 Feb 2008 20:28

Hi

Sarah's parents were married in 1875 and she was child number six out of 11. In 1891 she was at home in York with the rest of her family but in 1901, at the age of 15, she was in a convent miles from home.

I believe that she was back in York and married in 1903, but am not sure how to trace her moving there (if at all i can).

Thanks for the suggestion Maureen, i'll give that a look.

Dawn

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 25 Feb 2008 22:20

Dawn , you could try writing to the current Good Shepherd archivist, Sister Rosaria Kenny, based at The Good Shepherd Convent , Chain Rd ,Blackley, Manchester, M9 6QP .
Kim

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 25 Feb 2008 22:31

I'm no expert but a few possibilities come to mind. She may have been there because she wished to become a nun, she may have been entered because she was a bit wayward or she could have been there simply because her parents couldn't support a family of that size.

Dawn

Dawn Report 26 Feb 2008 08:32

Hi Kim,

Thanks for that suggestion. I think i'll write a letter today. You never know!!

Thank you also Janet for your thoughts and suggestions.

All the best

Dawn