Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free Parish Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 22 Aug 2008 18:01

I have now got to the point in my search for relatives that I need access to Parish records to progress with many of my branches. In the process of doing this, I have Kept a list of useful web sites where free information can be found. I hope this will be of use to other people.

Here is my quite limited list - hopefully people with much more experience then me will add to it !!

www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Parish records for Lancashire

www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/Registers/index.html
Cornwall, Derbyshire, Devon, Herfordshire, Shropshire

www.search.ancestry.co.uk - this I found particularly useful re
parish records for Swillington, Leeds and Clayton/Frickley (Doncaster)

freereg.rootsweb.com/search/index.htm
particularly good for Wolverhampton

www.wirksworth.org.uk/
Wirksworth Derbyshire

www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk/

Heather

Heather Report 22 Aug 2008 18:08

Well, there is a thread on here with a lot of links. There is also a WIKI on family tree forum with links to all online resources.

You could look at cyndis list aswell

Kelly

Kelly Report 17 Oct 2008 19:26

www.wolverhamptonarchives.dial.pipex.com/par-registers.htm

Baptisms/marriages/burials for 1537-1837 for several parishes

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 Oct 2008 20:11

sussexweald - covers parts of Sussex and Kent.

Cityark - covers the Medway towns and Gravesend in Kent.

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 17 Oct 2008 22:05

I am really pleased that this thread has suddenly taken off. When I decided to start the thread I thought it would be potentially usful to other members but it wasnt taken up. I just assumed that it had all been done before..... I am sure that there are other sites out there which many people don't know exist and could help find that illusive ancestor.

If you come across any sites please add.

Sandra

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 2 Apr 2009 15:34

www.forest-of-dean.net

Tees Valley Indexes=www.middlesborough-indexes.co.uk

Susan

Susan Report 2 Apr 2009 16:49

Hi, there's Dorset OPC also.

joysie4

joysie4 Report 27 Jul 2013 22:10

sherbert rose is there one for portsmouth uk

thanks joyce

joysie4

joysie4 Report 27 Jul 2013 22:11

sherbert rose is there one for portsmouth uk

thanks joyce

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jul 2013 22:24

To find any OPC's, just go to ukbmd website, and click on OPC in the list to the left of the home page

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jul 2013 00:18

Googling Parish Records Portsmouth brings up a number of results including

http://www.knightroots.co.uk/transcriptions/Parishes_P/Portsea_Portsmouth_Southsea/Portsea_Portsmouth_Southsea.htm

Some of the links are 'broken' suggesting that the page hasn't been maintained recently.

Ken2

Ken2 Report 30 Jul 2013 12:15

Sherbert Rose

I tried your Suffolk Surname list but nothing came up. Perhaps it's an old link.

Googled Suffolk Surnames and http://www.ssldatabase.plus.com/suff_br.html came up. Is this the same site?

Thanks for starting this useful thread.

joysie4

joysie4 Report 31 Jul 2013 09:55

Thank you detective this portsmouth address has a lot of information I can look into

joyce :-)

Potty

Potty Report 31 Jul 2013 15:46

familysearch, for transcriptions and this section of it for Bishop's Transcripts of Durham, Northumberland and some other areas. No transcriptions - you have to age through the images but the older ones seem to have lots of info including MMN in baptisms, and name of mother and her father in children's burials. Also earlier baptisms show 1st, 2nd, etc child/son/daughter.

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1309819