Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's all in the name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 23 Jan 2009 10:39

I know there are various posts on here asking about street names from the past. Many have been renamed, some demolished all together.

I like many of you have wondered I'm sure about the area my ancestors lived in and so what I did was contact the council of the area that my family came from.

I got a response from the Street Naming and Numbering Officer. I highly recommend contacting them about what your street has been renamed too or what happened to it.

I found it to be vary useful, I was sent a copy of a map of the area from the 1890's and a recent one (only portions) and found that the street I was after had been demolished to make way for the current town hall. I asked if they had any idea where the house I was after would have been and were again able to help me with another copy of the map and an arrow pointing to the spot. I also asked about what the houses looked like and have been directed to a street near by being told that the homes here are what they would have looked like.

Next I'm going to visit the area and see if I can get some pictures of these homes.

I have been so impressed I plan on contacting other councils for the same.

I was also given another source of contact by this councilman.

A rather happy

Gypsyjoe