Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's all in the name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 23 Jan 2009 10:39

I know there are various posts on here asking about street names from the past. Many have been renamed, some demolished all together.

I like many of you have wondered I'm sure about the area my ancestors lived in and so what I did was contact the council of the area that my family came from.

I got a response from the Street Naming and Numbering Officer. I highly recommend contacting them about what your street has been renamed too or what happened to it.

I found it to be vary useful, I was sent a copy of a map of the area from the 1890's and a recent one (only portions) and found that the street I was after had been demolished to make way for the current town hall. I asked if they had any idea where the house I was after would have been and were again able to help me with another copy of the map and an arrow pointing to the spot. I also asked about what the houses looked like and have been directed to a street near by being told that the homes here are what they would have looked like.

Next I'm going to visit the area and see if I can get some pictures of these homes.

I have been so impressed I plan on contacting other councils for the same.

I was also given another source of contact by this councilman.

A rather happy

Gypsyjoe