Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tree Layout

Page 1 + 1 of 4

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 19 Mar 2009 17:29

I am finding the whole thing rather cluttered as well with all the stuff that appears when you click on a relative. The big boxes showing all the matches get in the way something dreadful!

The arrows may be useful but I wish they would try to fix all the problems with the search rather than messing about with appearances.
I currently have Gold membership but won't bother again as I have still had to buy credits on findmyfamily to see all the census pages of relatives that GR's search won't find.
It was better when it would search for alternate spellings of the surname to allow for mistakes.

I think they have nicked the "sprouting saplings" stuff from Simcity ( the only computer game I ever play!).

I think the only way to get through to them is to vote with our feet!

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Mar 2009 18:26

I wish they would use their time to sort out the guidelines for newbies. Would save some unpleasantness on the boards.

Kim

Kim Report 19 Mar 2009 19:52

I'm not keen on the new arrow's either but think the tree matches a good idea, saves time in searching other possible matches as it's there for you to see. The other thing that's gone is the matches to the census, it popped up with other tree matches when you clicked on a family name in the tree.
Took me a while to figure out how to send messages to those with same details in their tree, after flicking around the site I found the message section on the right side of the page, where I ignore the pop up windows.
Wish me luck I'm going in to find my surname matches! You know the list with all surnames in your tree, well I can't find it any more.

Jean

Jean Report 19 Mar 2009 20:01

Message I sent yesterday to GR
Please Please Please go back to the previous tree layout this new one is messy & not pleasing to the eye.

Message received to-day in reply
Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion.
The redesign of the Genes Reunited website is permanent, This means it is not possible to return to the old version. You will find that most of the old functions are still there, but they just look a little different
Feedback from our members during the testing process has told us that the site is much more user friendly and I do hope that after a little while you will get used to it too. If you need any more help do not hesitate to contact us.

I have sent a reply telling them to read the message boards

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Mar 2009 20:04

Kim

My 'Surname Summaries' are where they've always been under Search Trees, on the left.

Genes seem to have listened, just a little bit. Things are a wee bit better than earlier. But I put my own personal details, including my place of birth+ England, into my own tree, so why are they matching me with lots of other people from all over the UK?

I used to know who I was! Now I'm not so sure.

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 20 Mar 2009 11:25

If GR is borrowing from Sim City, maybe our trees will have roadworks and nuclear powerstations next?

Personally, seeing the vast numbers of family pets included in family trees, maybe GR should include Nintendogs?

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 20 Mar 2009 17:43

I've been having problemswith this 'new look' tree too. My photos have all disappeared! I had loads of them......Anyone else got this problem???

Pam

Pam Report 20 Mar 2009 21:24

Who knew about the Testing Period and advised GR that it was now more user friendly ?

Sally

Sally Report 20 Mar 2009 22:59

helloi had problems looking at someone elses tree i waited 10 minuets for it to load gave up waiting then the new layout is terriblei cannot tell who is attatched to who and was unable to move up and down the tree
sally

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 21 Mar 2009 11:25

All my photos have disappeared too. Actually I can see from the red crosses and captions that they are still on the GR system somewhere BUT GR hasn't got round to relinking them. I hope it is simply a case of waiting for the GR team to finish the job.

Jean

Jean Report 21 Mar 2009 18:27

Pam, I wish I knew who these folk were who said the site was more user friendly, so if you are out their tell us who you are.

Sally

Sally Report 21 Mar 2009 19:30

i have emailed gr i hope everybody is douing the same
sally

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Mar 2009 20:11

The laout has now prevented me from doing a quick search if somebody contacts me! I cannot put anything in the search box - as it is obliterated by my tree! I am so frustrated - everything was so simple before!

Mags

Christine

Christine Report 22 Mar 2009 21:42

Since my earlier posting I have had several emails back and forth with GR - complaining that my ancestors keep reappearing and disappearing again. Their most helpful reply (which wasn't!) was that I had probably made errors in compiling my tree - like marrying cousins or similar - (which I haven't!) -and said they would look into it if I gave them the names of those who were missing. As there were something in excess of 300 missing, and I needed the tree to remind me who they all were, my reply to them was somewhat disparaging!

Jean

Jean Report 23 Mar 2009 13:48

it just gets worse, can't even view my tree now!! yet another message to GR, I have been a member for about four years & never had as many problems as now.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jan 2012 20:39

This new layout is awful. I have made my views known to GR who just replied - you will soon get used to it! NO I WONT!!! Why could they not leave well enough alone ??? :-(

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jan 2012 20:42

This new layout is awful. I have made my views known to GR who just replied - you will soon get used to it! NO I WONT!!! Why could they not leave well enough alone ??? :-(

David

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Jan 2012 20:57

David.......do you realise that this thread is three years old and the complaints are about the old layout of the tree???

Everytime something changes, people complain.

I like the latest version and have spent time getting used to it. I think you will find it easier if you explore it more.

Cx.

Kaz.

Kaz. Report 19 Jan 2012 21:35

Hi Michael2.
On..........
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1290337
I also posted a complaint & they have now put it as ''This post has been requested for review''

Looks like you & i will end up in the naughty corner
:-0
Kaz

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Jan 2012 07:46

I agree with Cynthia.

Everytime there is a change people complain - you only have to read the earlier posts on this very thread.

So, now we are in in 2012, there are some who want to go back to those changes that were so awful when introduced in 2009.

And in 2015, when the next enhancement comes along they will all want the very 2012 version that they are complaining about now.

And in 2018..........

P.S.

The new tree has been there for members to try out for some time now. You couldn't really miss it as you had to select old or new when accessing from the tab top left. GR even went to the trouble of adding a specific feedback option for members to report issues and give feedback.