Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ancestry or findmypast?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hotchoc

hotchoc Report 5 May 2009 22:00

could somebody tell me what the differenc is between Ancestry and findmypast, they look very similar? x

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 5 May 2009 23:49

Ancestry is based in the US & has much more than UK records.
Findmypast is based in the UK & has UK records.

Both can be by subscription. Ancestry gives a free trial. Findmypast gives you the option of pay-as-you-go.

Remember that a lot of the England/Wales BMDs are already transcribed up to about 1930 so check freebmd.org.uk before paying for anything.

Whether you have a subscription to findmypast or not you have to pay for any 1911 census details.

Findmy past also has -
Passenger Lists Leaving UK 1890-1960
Register of passport applications 1851-1903
Bengal Civil Service Gradation List 1869
India Office List 1933
East India Register & Army List 1855
Indian Army & Civil Service List 1873
East India Company's Commercial Marine Service Pensions List 1793-1833

Ozi.

Update: Please note the above was true as of 2009. Things change rapidly on the good old www so check websites for details.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 6 May 2009 00:53

But Find My Past has the complete BMD records for all years (with a few blips). It means you have to trawl through them quarter by quarter, but they are the genuine article.

Maggie

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 May 2009 05:00

ancestry also has the Complete Index to bmds

........ although you now have to search a little bit to find it (then put it into your Favourites!!)

The usual overwhelming response to people asking which is best is that ancestry is the most preferred.

It certainly is the one that I would not be without. I pay per view on findmypast if necessary.

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 May 2009 09:37

Each of the sites has undertaken separate transcriptions of the records they offer, so if you can't find something you think should be there, say in the Census or BMD's on one, try the other site.

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 6 May 2009 11:36

Findmypast was originally 1837.com and was THE official site for obtaining England and Wales BDM' registration details. A lot of the early record were handwritten and they have gradually been transcribed so there is always going to be an element of human error.

Ancestry & freeBDM's are transcriptions.

However, the Ancestry database will give you matches of spouses when searching for marriages 1837onwards (before England & Wales records started adding spouse' surnames to their records) as long as the Volume & Page nos have been transcribed correctly.

You will probably find that some of your ancestors and/or siblings went to the USA, Canada and Australia or even elsewhere in the world and Ancestry has so much more to offer in that respect.

The choice is yours...but many people on here subscribe to both or either websites and will always help in your quest to find information for you.

Genealogy is not a cheap hobby I'm afraid!

christopher

christopher Report 26 Jan 2013 12:45

Sorry I'm new to this, if you are doing a family tree would you use Genes Reunited or findmay past or other ?
thanks
Chris

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jan 2013 13:53

Personally I would become a basic member of Genes Reunited and keep a copy of my tree on here.

But for records would suggest you go for a 14 day free trial of both Ancestry and Findmypast to see which suits you.

Would not bother with the Platinum etc. on here. Just because it is cheap does not make it the best. But that is my opinion. I was brought up to never buy cheapest!!!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 26 Jan 2013 14:32

The US FindMyPast has UK, US, Irish and Australasian records
https://www.findmypast.com/

Costs around $60 for an annual subscription.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jan 2013 19:41

Thanks Amokavid - I too have full FMP membership and can access all records.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jan 2013 21:58

re the US findmypast .................

they offered a cheap deal of around $60 a few months ago. I do not know whether that deal is still available ......................

BUT I find the site useless. I tried ot for several days, and can never find anyhting.

I would recommend that you do not use the site ......... at least until it has become both more user friendly, and carries records other than the US.

Personally ................ I've always had a sub to ancestry, a basic sub to GR, and am about to take out a sub (birthday present) to the UK version of FMP.

There are lots of free sites to use ...............

UK bmds are on www.freebmd.org.uk from July 1 1837 to (currently) about 1955/1960.

Parish records are on www.familysearch.org/

Online Parish Clerks transcriptions are online for several counties .................. google to see if they are available for your county of interest. The Lancashire OPC is particularly good.

As regards GR ................... I would do the same as Piglets Pal. Take out Basic membership, build your tree on here, and use the Community Boards to ask questions.

sylvia