Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Minchinhampton, Stroud - Hyde Court

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicky

Nicky Report 23 May 2009 20:32

Hi, Does anyone on these boards live in or know Minchinhampton, Stroud, Glos? I have just looked up on the 1851 census, to find that four of my ancestors were resident scholars at Hyde Court. From what little information I have been able to find it's quite a large 19th century house, which must have been used as a school for certainly the early 1850s. Does anyone know of this building, as I would love to know what it looked like. Many thanks, Nicky

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 23 May 2009 20:46

Googled.....found this

Minchinhampton - Introduction | British History Online The parish and former market town of Minchinhampton lies 3 miles .... Hyde Court, in the centre of the hamlet, was occupied by Richard Pinfold (d. ...
www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=19101 - 80k

Never forget to google!

Nicky

Nicky Report 23 May 2009 20:55

Thanks for that Ricochet. I had already 'googled' and found the reference you mentioned, but was hoping to find a photo if the building still existed.

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 23 May 2009 21:03

These people might know...........

Hyde Wood House, Cirencester Road, Minchinhampton, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL68 PE [email protected]

Nicky

Nicky Report 23 May 2009 23:08

Thanks for that - I shall make contact and see what they know. Thanks again.

Smiley

Smiley Report 24 May 2009 15:35

Nicky
I wonder if this is the place on www.findaproperty.com
last sold: 01 April 2003 Hyde Court, Chalford, Freehold Semi-Detached £550,000

I live in Gloucestershire, Chalford is very near to Stroud & Minchinhampton. I used to work for Tescos, driving the vans doing Home delivery shopping, this place really rings a bell. If you find out anything I will gladly take a drive over and see if I can get you a photograph or two.
There are a lot of very large expensive properties in that area but many are set way back from the road. Let me know if I can help.
My Ancestry subs have run out so I cannot look for myself, just wondering what addresses/buildings are nearby in 1851?
Sam

Nicky

Nicky Report 24 May 2009 15:47

Hi Sam, Yes, I saw this reference yesterday, but there was no picture. I would have imagined if it was used as a girls' boarding school it would be bigger than a semi detached and I would have thought worth more than £550,000, but I am no estate agent so could be very wrong here. I didn't think of checking the census for houses either side, so will have a look in a minute and get back to you. It's very kind of you to offer to take some pics if this is the place - will get back to you soon. Regards, Nicky

Nicky

Nicky Report 24 May 2009 15:56

Sam, Have just looked at the 1851 census and for a number of pages before the entry the place name is just given as Hyde, then there is Hyde House and then there is something that looks like Cowcombe???? Does this mean anything to you? Nicky

Smiley

Smiley Report 24 May 2009 20:02

Cowcombe is certainly in the same area but I had to Google to find that out, I had not actually heard of it.
Half a million is a lot for a semi, I wonder if some originally attached buildings may have been sold off already, and are now separate dwellings.
Sam

Nicky

Nicky Report 25 May 2009 08:38

Hi Sam Could well be. If I get any more clues as to the exact location, would you mind if I get back in touch with you? Kind regards, Nicky

Smiley

Smiley Report 25 May 2009 14:37

Not at all, better to send me a pm
Sam

BessofDorset

BessofDorset Report 26 May 2009 10:45

If you go to www.stroud.gov.uk/info/listed_buildings/minchinhampton.pdf there is an alphbetical list of listed buildings which includes Hyde Court page 179 -giving a description " late c19 alterations being made for school run by Dorothea Beale"-It looks as if this would be your Hyde Court -possibly Stroud may have a photo

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 26 May 2009 11:59

www.imagesofengland.org.uk.

Photo and description of Hyde Court

Nicky

Nicky Report 26 May 2009 20:21

Thank you for these latest replies - I shall be taking a look. Many thanks.

Nicky

Nicky Report 26 May 2009 20:28

Thank you all , especially Quinsgran - fantastic photo, thrilled to bits! Nicky

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 May 2013 16:09

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=19101]

Want to know something funny - my father's relatives are the Beales (Gladys Beale great neice of Dorothea) is still alive and 106 years old, living in Minch... but a bit eerier.. my mother's family lead back to the Pinfolds who lived in Hyde Court prior to the Beales.... super-strange I thought?

Juliette Green (great niece of Gladys Beale)