Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Reg advice please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 7 Jun 2009 19:16

If two parents died on the same day would the registration number be the same?

thanks Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 7 Jun 2009 19:48

Hi Elaine, Yes. I have an ancestor who was unoficially adopted by my gt grandfather, I've found my gt grandfather with her in 1911 and it states she's his neice. But I don't know how she's connected to them as her surname is different. I've followed all gt grandparents sister's marriages and so far can't find a connection.

I am now on the trail of deaths between her birth year of 1907 and the 1911 census. in the hope of finding two of similar age in same area. Then with that info I might be able to find their marriage. Hope you can understand all this.

So in answer to your question, Yes I do mean the page and volume numbers.

Any ideas? Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 7 Jun 2009 20:32

Hi Elaine,

Thanks, that helps. No I'm not saying they were married or anything like it. I'm just trying to find out who she really was. From the age of 4 she lived with them all her life, and went by her maiden name AND his surname, eg. Banks formerly known as Jackman. I just can't find any family connection to the surname Banks. So am trying to work backwards. I figured that both parents and guessed a car crash, don't know why, I just did.

What do you make of this; Thomas Banks died in June Q 1911 and female Banks died in Sept Q 1911 both in same area, plus I found a marriage for them a couple of years earlier. My Gt grandfather lived in the Manchester area, the couple in question died same area. I have also found a possible birth for the relative in question. So I think this ties it all up nicely, what do you think?

Regards, Lou

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 7 Jun 2009 20:59

Have you checked gt grandfathers wifes side to see if Jackman name crops up.
As for dying in a car crash. Were they wealthy? Not too many people had cars in 1911

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 7 Jun 2009 21:00

Hi Quinsgran, Yes I'm afraid I have. Thanks though for your help.

Regards, Lou

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 7 Jun 2009 21:04

I guess you will have to try to look for a birth to see who her parents were
Are these the deaths.
Thomas Banks 1886 died june qt 1911 Stockport
Margaretta P Banks died 1882 died sept qt 1911 Stockport.

Perhaps Margaretta died a few days later so was registered the next qt

marriage
Thomas Buckley Banks
Margaretta Paynter Boase both married 1904 sept qt Liverpool

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 7 Jun 2009 21:16

Hi Quinsgran, Thanks I will, think I've got one that matches the same area.

Once again thanks to everyone that's offered help or advice, I'ts really appreciated.

Take care and good luck to you all.

Regards, Lou

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 7 Jun 2009 22:43

Do you have her birth certificate. If you do, what are her parents names.

If you don't have her birth certificate could it not be possible that ggrandad was her father? He'd be unlikely to give a true relationship for the census (oh the shame of it!) If he'd had a "fling" and the childs mother died.............. sorry just idle thought!

SallyS

SallyS Report 2 Aug 2013 01:22

Hi to you all.
I have Thomas Buckley BANKS son of Elijah BANKS c1856-c1906 and Susan Scorer HILTON c1850-c1928. Thomas was born Sep Qtr 1877 Liverpool Lancs. He married Margaretta Paynter "Maud" BOASE Sep Qtr 1904 Liverpool.
A Google search as "Thomas Buckley Banks" will bring up his death as 24 Oct 1917, a signaler in the Royal Field Artillery. He is buries in France.
Thomas and Margaretta are listed in the 1911 census at 11 Marlborough Grove, Birkenhead, Cheshire. Margaretta's mother is living with them at the time
Cheers
Sally SHINE. My connection via the BOASE lines. :-)

SallyS

SallyS Report 2 Aug 2013 01:31

Hi again,
This link will take you to the BANKS that died in 1911
http://www.medialinkuk.co.uk/cemetery/?page_id=5332&paged=1776

P 27 BANKS. (G.O.442)

Large grey marble, round top, lying flat on its back. In memory of / Rita, / the beloved wife of / Thomas Buckley BANKS, / who passed away 19th August 1911, / aged 29 years.

Cheers
Sally

mgnv

mgnv Report 2 Aug 2013 03:12

I followed Sally's link, then did a "quick search" in the box there and got a 2nd hit:

H 34 BOASE, PAYNTER, BANKS. (G.A.233)

Large upright sand-stone, arched top, small lower lowered curved shoulders. In loving memory of / William Howard BOASE, / who died May 9th 1893, / aged 48 years. / *Rest from earthly care and conflict – / rest sweet rest for evermore.* / Also Margaret Jane, / widow of the late / William PAYNTER, / of St Ives, Cornwall, / who died March 25th 1900, / aged 94 years. / Also Margaretta Paynter, (Rita) / daughter of W. H. BOASE, / who died 19th August 1911, / aged 29 years. / Also Margaret Jane, / wife of the above / William Howard BOASE, / who died 14th December 1926, / aged 82 years. (Margaretta P. BANKS 29 years died August 1911.)

mgnv

mgnv Report 2 Aug 2013 04:39

Re: "Thomas Banks died in June Q 1911 and female Banks died in Sept Q 1911 both in same area" - referring to these deaths:

Deaths Jun 1911 (>99%)
BANKS Thomas 25 Stockport 8a 53

Deaths Sep 1911 (>99%)
Banks Margaretta P 29 Stockport 8a 5

Well, same Rego District, but not really same area.

Using http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/

Cheshire Death indexes for the years: 1911
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
BANKS Thomas 25 Stockport Second Stockport ST2/9/69
BANKS Margaretta Paynter 29 Hazel Grove Stockport HAZ/2A/58

so they're not even in the same rego subdistrict.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Aug 2013 19:02

Reggie, Sally is referring to Margaretta Paynter Boase and Thomas Banks who are referred to in the thread.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2013 20:23

Deleted my post.............new specs on order!

Although it is still an old thread to whicih the info has been added

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Aug 2013 22:54

True Reggie, I think Lou is still around so will hopefully pick this up.

Sally - if you're reading, click on Lou's name to send her a message advising her you've posted info on her thread just in case she misses it.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 4 Aug 2013 16:08

Hi Everyone,

Wow! you've all astounded me as I had thought a thread of this age would have been lost and forgotten. Thank you so much for your input, If i'd have know this was still an active thread I would have put something up about it before now, so apologies.

I think I have found the connection. Quinsgran had suggested back in 2009 that I follow my g grandmother's side, which I had but it had come to a dead end. But later that year I learned something new.

Samuel was my gt grandmother's brother married with young children living in Staffordshire. Next door lived a young girl 20 years his junior. His sister had moved with her parents to Manchester and met my gt grandfather. After the 1911 census they moved to Widnes. The young neighbours surname was Banks. Samuel left his wife and children and set up home with his new love, eventually moving to Widnes where they had a child in 1907. 1911 census states they have been married 7 years, which means they must have left Staffordshire around 1904 when the adopted child was born. It also gives them as having 4 children born alive and 4 still living, but on the census it only has 3 children. So I think these are the parents of the child my gr gtandfather 'adopted'.

The couple didn't marry until 1923.
The descendent of Samuel knows nothing about the child my gt grandfather took in.

It seems to fit perfectly to me, but what do you think?

Once again many thanks for you recent input, you lot do astound me at times with you knowledge and perseverance.

thanks again and good luck to you all.

Regards, Lou
:-) <3