Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Getting started without a Birth Record?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 09:06

I'm new to this and don't really know what I'm doing but can one of you kind people please steer me a little? I have an Alfred William Jones born 15/01/1917 apparently in Derby. Allegedly never had a birth certificate. Father was apparently also an Alfred mother is unkown. Sibblings were apparently Elsie, Les & Ron but thtas also unconfirmed. He served in WW2 as number 8/57132 serial 5678/A and apparently enlisted 28/12/1936. I'm not sure how to trace ancestry without a Birth Cert? Any advice short of 'give up' would be greatly appreciated.

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 09:18

Alledgedly married Eileen Curbishley in 1946 but I can't locate the cert. I found one for Eileen Curbishley and surname 'James' and was wondering if it could be a typo? Nottingham 1946 April-June 7b 874 - its the right era???

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 25 Mar 2010 09:19

Do you know when/if he has died? Who is the informant? Have you found any of the "sibling's" births? Do you know where he was living..could you check electoral rolls for that address to see who he was living with?

Suzanne

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 09:24

Hmm thanks yes he died in Australia in 1982 so no help there. I don't have any further details of sibblings. I have an addres where he was living: 70 Vicken (I think) Carlton Road Nottingham. How do i access the electrol rolls?

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 09:30

Thanks Jonesy I'll check those but I suspect the marriage was pre-1951. Incidently how are you checking both surnames against marriage records?

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 09:32

Sorry misread the 'births'... I'm aware of all those (one is me)

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 25 Mar 2010 09:39

Bryn

do you know which order the siblings came in. ie who was eldest etc.

MB

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 25 Mar 2010 09:42

Could the "Vicken" in your address be Hockley?..it's a district in Nottingham.

Suzanne

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 09:44

MB

I have been told Elsie was the oldest (possibly second name of May), then alfred William in 1917 and then Les and Ron are apparently younger but I don't know which order. I don't know much do I?

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 25 Mar 2010 09:44

Bryn

The marriage you found in 1946 could well be right.....the partner's name is given as Alfred W, so a possibility. The registrar could have misheard the name or the name was copied incorrectly.

Mary

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 25 Mar 2010 09:44

Could Alfred and Eileen have married abroad..note the date..my parents were married in India in that year.

Look on Find my Past site or ask on here for a look up.

Suzanne

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 09:46

Not sure Suzzane, someone has handwritten the address as 70 "Vicken" Rise Carlton Road Nottingham. The way its scribbled it could be Vickers or something else?

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 09:49

Then Jonesey, this Jonesey must be thinking along the same lines because thats what I have already done! Waiting in Australia for the result but getting edgy. Thanks for your help!

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 10:01

Thanks Mary I'm hoping thats the case and have ordered the cert

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 10:04

Tks Suzzanne but no I don't think that happened. I think I was originally on the right track with the 1946 Curbishley/James record. My bet is its an incorrect record for some reason and should be 'Jones'

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Mar 2010 10:12

"he died in Australia in 1982"

Some Oz d.certs list both parents, but I forget which states do that. It certainly is worth checking out, though.

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 10:16

Mary

It just dawned on me, how did you know partner is given as Alfred W? I don't recall seeing that?

Bryn

Bryn Report 25 Mar 2010 10:17

Thanks I'll try that

Christine2

Christine2 Report 25 Mar 2010 11:51

Hi Bryn
The only Alfred William Jones birth that would fit the two possible quarters was born in Nottinghamshire - mothers maiden name Gough.

Births Jun 1917 - Jones Alfred W Gough Bingham 7b 786

I have been trying to find likely sibling births of this Alfred with the names you mentioned but there aren't any that seem to fit as the areas are all over the place, and the most likely marriage would be in Wales.

I am curious though as to why he allegedly never had a birth certificate. Do you think it's possible he was adopted perhaps or born before they married? Do you know if his siblings stayed in England?

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 25 Mar 2010 12:32

Hi Bryn

On Ancestry for marriages, if you put in the name Eileen Curbishley you will get a list of all those for that name. When you get to the one in 1946 click on her name and it will take you into another screen (shown below), at the bottom of that screen you can see where is says *find spouse*, click on that and it gives you the name of the partner:

Name: Eileen Curbishley
Spouse Surname: James
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1946
Registration district: Nottingham
Registration county (inferred): Nottinghamshire
Volume Number: 7b
Page Number: 874
Find Spouse: Find Spouse

Alfred W James Curbishley Apr-May-Jun 1946 Nottingham Nottinghamshire

Mary