Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

children in a workhouse

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 26 Apr 2010 19:25

Hi I have recently found relations in a workhouse in 1851.
This info was found by pure chance by another (very clever) member on GR. The surname was spelt wrong as their parents were not in there with them.
Does anyone know of a way I could find out anymore details of their time in the workhouse and how long they were in there.
Their names were Walter, Paul, Jesse and Agnes Hurrell ( real name is Harrold.)
They were on the 1851 census for thingoe union workhouse, Bury st Edmunds. They were in st Marys. I believe there was a St James also.

Thanks
Cheryl

Sorry folks, Have to go out urgently, but should be back online in about an hour

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Apr 2010 21:02

1881 - if this is Walter he did OK for himself in the end!!

Walter Douglas HARROLD Head M Male 33 Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England Baker
Harriet HARROLD Wife M Female 32 Coleshill, Berkshire, England Wife
John DAW Visitor M Male 37 Stonecross, Sussex, England Bootmaker
Johnny DAW Visitor U Male 12 Stonecross, Sussex, England Son
Walter DAW Visitor U Male 8 Stonecross, Sussex, England Son
Emily SCOTT Servant U Female 16 Wavendon, Buckingham, England House Servant
Frederick MAPLEY Servant U Male 16 Newport Pagnell, Buckingham, England Bakers Assistant
Beatrice MORRIS Boarder U Female 21 Denford, Northampton, England School Mistress

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling Walton Lane
Census Place Wavendon, Buckingham, England
Family History Library Film 1341358
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 1480 / 94
Page Number 3

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 26 Apr 2010 21:57

Ann or green gables.

No thats not our walter. We know what happened after 1861 to all of the children. I wanted to find out more about how long they were there etc.
Their mother died in childbirth in 1843 and father went off the rails and was jailed for 12 months in October 1844. All of the children were showing in the workhouse in 1851, but we are not sure when they went and for how long.

Thanks again.

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 26 Apr 2010 21:59

Somerset girl,
Thanks for the link. Where would the records office be for that area. I don't know much about record offices.

Thanks again.
Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 26 Apr 2010 22:29

Thank you somersetgirl.

I will give them a call tomorrow to see what they hold there and will arrange a trip