Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free access to 19th century Newspapers

Page 4 + 1 of 10

  1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Jonesey Report 23 Apr 2011 15:44



miah Report 1 May 2011 04:34

I'm on the newspaper website with no problems - and it looks to be marvelous! Marvelous, that is, once I have even a slight clue of what I am to do.
I want to know if an inquest was held on the death of my ggrandfather Thomas Hinds Goble, d at age 33 on November 20, 1877 in Surrey London. I've not the slightest clue how to feed the above info into the websites blanks....


AuntySherlock Report 1 May 2011 06:40

Are you following me!!???

I too have something to look for. Just a stray convict I've managed to link into my tree. Give me a few minutes cyber time and I'll take a look and see what I can muddle through.

I'll keep the cap on the maple syrup bottle.


AuntySherlock Report 1 May 2011 06:55

OK I assume you have put in your temporary number and are into the site.

Edited my posts. Yes I see you have said you are in the Newspapers bit

I used the Advanced search which allows you to chose what newspaper, a date, and a topic.

Also had a look at the list of resources available and found a very interesting section called, "Who else writes like". Gives the names of authors and their pseudonyms.

I need to spend a lot more time looking, As for my convict. Nope, no luck yet.


AuntySherlock Report 1 May 2011 08:17

I found reference to Thomas Goble but it was in 1825. Nothing about an inquest.


Janet Report 1 May 2011 12:29

Jeremiah, perhaps we all approach seeking the information in different ways. When I am seeking information on a possible relative I enter their name in inverted commas every time. For example I would put keywords in the search "John Smith"+"inquest" equally I might enter "John Smith"+ "Nottingham" and I keep to that format. What that does is seek out all the newspaper entries containing those keyword, but more importantly they are entered in Green so they are highlighted. At the side there is the option of choosing what type of entry in the newspaper e.g. advert, business news, people,etc, this is another way of eliminating unwanted information.I have checked, using this method, for Thomas Goble but I haven't managed to find anything.- jl


Sue Report 1 May 2011 15:56

I checked out Devon County Library service and they have this available as well.


miah Report 1 May 2011 16:52

Thanks to Aunty and to Janet very much. Since I'm in the USA, I'll ask a question which I guess Everyone in the UK knows. Is there somewhere I can order Thomas Hinds Goble's death certificate from and have it emailed then and there? I can do that in Australia - certainly not in the USA - just hoping for the UK. The reason I'm keen on this fellow is that the family story is that he was a drunk and was either locked out of the house or lost his keys and was too drunk to do anything but slide to the ground for the night and died of pneumonia several days later. I'd like to see if he did indeed die of something related to sleeping in the snow : )


Jonesey Report 1 May 2011 18:36


Unfortunately you will not be able to get a copy of the death certificate emailed to you but it is easy to have a copy posted to you anywhere in the world directly from the General Register office in Southport, Lancashire, England.

You can order and pay (By credit card) online. Here is the web address:

The certificate you require is the one below:

Deaths Dec 1877 (>99%)
Goble Thomas Hinds 31 Camberwell 1d 492


Grace Report 1 May 2011 18:47

Nudging with my thanks to Jonesey


Denise Report 1 May 2011 19:16

Thanks for website info
Just Found out my gggf was charged with cutting a girls head with a knife and had 9 lashes with birch cane and spent 9 hour in jail . He was only 13 !


AuntySherlock Report 2 May 2011 12:08

JWABF. Take note of Jonesey's hint. I can vouch for that. I have sent for scrillions of certificates from the GRO all the way from Oz.

They take between five and 14 days to reach here and the cost is cheap compared to what we pay for our certificates.


Mermar Report 3 May 2011 14:39

I have been trying for ages to use my library card to get to the newspapers online but I'm blowed if I can find a link or figure it out. Can anyone provide an idiot guide for me??


Jonesey Report 3 May 2011 15:06


I am assuming that your library card is one from Lancashire Libraries.

If it is follow these instructions:

Once you log into Lancashire Libraries site click on "Online Reference Library" on the left hand side of the page.

The click on "19th Century British Library Newspapers" on the left hand side of the page.

Enter your library barcode number and press "Proceed".

From there click "Browse Publication Title" and click one one that interests you. Then away you go.

Good hunting.


Janet Report 3 May 2011 15:09

Presumably you have found the website
click 'Online reference library' which you will see on the left hand side of the page. Click on choice, for example 19th century British Newspaper....then get your card at the ready to enter you personal number. From there you could follow my/other instructions on how to view the newspapers,which are written out on this page. Hope that helps-jl


Janet Report 3 May 2011 15:13

Following on from finding information ....can anyone explain if it is possible to print out just a small portion of a news report . I don't mean the whole page as I have managed to do that.
I have to leave the boards now but I will be back. Thank you- jl


Mermar Report 3 May 2011 15:13

Thank you Jonesey. You may have already gathered that I'm an idiot!
No it's just the normal library card which I have been told can be used at home to access the British Library etc. online. It's that I am having a problem with.


Jonesey Report 3 May 2011 15:40


May I suggest then that you follow the instructions that you will find on the very first post of this thread on how to join Lancashire Libraries. You do not need to be a resident of Lancashire or work there. Membership is open to everyone wherever the live and is free.


I don't really know the answer but I suspect that if instead of printing the whole page you first save the whole page to your computer you can then use photo manipulation software or similar to extract just the section of the article you require and then just print that.


Janet Report 3 May 2011 20:44

Thank you for reply Jonesey, will try next time-j


Mermar Report 3 May 2011 22:08

Thank you for the guidance. I will opt for the Lancs site as Janet suggests.