Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Frederick Russell born 1 March 1825.Frederi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwelma

Gwelma Report 15 Sep 2010 11:21

I have a conundrum, (what genealogist doesn't?). Perhaps someone can help. My Great Great Grandfather seems to have had 2 sets of parents. He was George Frederick Russell born 1825 in Fredericton,New Brunswick Canada. His Marriage and Death certificates has John Russell and Amelia (nee Treadwell) as his parents, but it seems that his baptism record has Jacob Russell and Mary Elizabeth DeForest. I have a theory that perhaps George's parents died with a year or so of his birth and he may have been reared by an uncle and aunt, who for him, would have been his true, if non biological parents. I am wondering how I might find more information to clarify this , as this is before BDM records were kept. An interesting aside that may or may not be relevant, is that Jacob's father, also Jacob, b 15 April 1746, in Connecticut, died 12 June 1827 in Fredericton, and wife Elizabeth, b 13 May 1750, died 20 Aug 1827. These would be grandparents of George, but both died in 1827. Is there information somewhere that could throw some light on the events of those years. Perhaps an influenza outbreak or the like? There is also a possibility that George had a brother John who was also reared by 'Uncle John' and Aunt Amelia', (if indeed this is the correct scenario) Thanks, any help is much appreciated. Christine in Aust.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Sep 2010 11:49

Have you got evidence to link your George with that particular baptism record?
It seems to differ greatly from the marriage information.

Gwyn

Gwelma

Gwelma Report 15 Sep 2010 12:08

Hello Gwyn, Thank you for your reply and very good question. My record of the Christening is 13 Nov 1825 at Wilmot Methodist Church Fredericton NB. North America. I do not have the evidence of this in hand, but understand that others in the family have searched this information out. I do not know who holds the evidence. The other details seem to agree, so we have assumed it is correct. Not the best practice in genealogy I guess, but has at least been a starting point for us. I do not have any more information. Christine

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Sep 2010 12:17

When did George Frederick marry?
Do you have witness names on the marriage certificate which might provide some clues?

Gwyn

Gwelma

Gwelma Report 15 Sep 2010 13:00

Thanks Gwyn, this is a great help for me.
I do have a copy of the marriage cert.
It gives George Frederick Russell from Fredericton NB. Nth America to Margaret Dickson of Leith Scotland, married in John Knox Presbyterian Church Swanston St. Melbourne, Victoria. 13 Nov 1856, by William Miller (Minister).
George was 29 yrs, Father - John Russell -farmer Mother - Amelia Treadwell. Margaret was 25 yrs, her parents - Andrew (gamekeeper), and Margaret Lockhart . There is a 2 year discrepancy in age/birth year for George. This would make him b1827.
Witnesses are William Sparkes and Phoebe Albon.
Neither witness is a known family name, but they are now in Australia, and probably did not have many relatives nearby.
George and Margaret are buried in Footscray cemetery, Melbourne.
Thank you again for your thoughts and helping me to think in new directions.
Christine

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Sep 2010 14:37

I wouldn't be too concerned about an age discrepancy on the marriage certificate.
Some of my folk 'adjusted' their ages much more than that !

What about passenger lists to Australia which might show George travelling with a member of the family?

Gwyn

Gwelma

Gwelma Report 18 Sep 2010 10:17

Sorry Gwyn I did not get back right away.
Thanks again for your suggestion. I will have to do a search of the shipping now. I thought I might have had something but not so. Will keep moving on this and let you know. Cheers
Christine

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Sep 2010 22:43

Possible marriage?

Acadia, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1670-1946
about Mary Deforest
Name: Mary Deforest
Spouse: Jacob Russel
Event Year: 1812-1829
Event: Mariage (Marriage)
Religion: Catholique
Place of Worship or Institution: Frédéricton (Bureau de Santé)
Province: Acadie (Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) (New Brunswick)

Original says marriage was 22 July 1823.
Witnesses were a (something?) Deforest and William Madigan.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Sep 2010 23:00

John Russell and Amelia Treadwell's marriage:

Acadia, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1670-1946
about Amelia Treadwell
Name: Amelia Treadwell
Spouse: John Russell
Event Year: 1812-1829
Event: Mariage (Marriage)
Religion: Catholique
Place of Worship or Institution: Frédéricton (Bureau de Santé)
Province: Acadie (Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) (New Brunswick)

Marriage was 15 Feb.1825. Witnesses Joseph Ostabrooke/Estabrooke? and Sam'l Treadwell.

Gwelma

Gwelma Report 20 Sep 2010 11:47

Hello Margaret,
Thankyou for your time and for checking those files.
This is quite a lead. At least we know that both couples lived in the area at the same period of time.
I would love to check for other 'events' such as baptisms and deaths, even adoptions, to try to establish if there was a connection to either of these couples. Are these records - the 'Drouin Collection' - available for the general public like me to access?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Sep 2010 12:04

I believe the Drouin Collection is only available on Ancestry.ca or Worldwide. I stand to be corrected on that.
I couldn't find the baptism of George Frederick or any other child of either couple.

Gwelma

Gwelma Report 20 Sep 2010 12:16

Just realised also that the witness to Amelia's marriage, in the above record, ie. Samuel Treadwell, appears as her father in my records. The other name is not known to us.
Christine

Gwelma

Gwelma Report 20 Sep 2010 12:21

Thanks again Margaret, for that info. You have gone to a lot of effort for me and I really appreciate it. I am still working on Shipping info. Need a bit more free time.
Christine