Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

barbados 1880

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 29 Oct 2010 21:45

Can anyone help me I am trying to find immigration entry for my grandfather who came from barbados. He was actually born in 1880 but not sure when he came to the uk as he moved between canada, barbados and the uk. I dont believe although he was on a ship between these countries he was in the merchant navy. I dont believe this was registered at that time does anyone have any ideas as to where to search. Were these details recorded anywhere

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Oct 2010 22:06

Ruth,

We need his name! Some immigration records are on Ancestry.

Rose

Ruth

Ruth Report 29 Oct 2010 22:40

Hi thanks for that prompt reply. My Grandfathers name is william phillips, miner born 1880 in st lukes, st george, barbados. Married to Annie Ellen Thomas, Father Thomas Thomas, Miner.
Tried to find name in 1911 census of both Annie and William but no luck.
Their marriage certificate indicated when they got married in 1921 William was 37 and annie elllen was 29. Lived at 29 william street, threthomas, south wales.
Williams fathers name was william henry phillips, sea pilot . Williams date of birth is 13.8.1880 and his death 8.12.61. Hope this is of some help. thanks ruth

Ruth

Ruth Report 29 Oct 2010 23:19

Hi Yes that is close in that he was born in barbados. He got married in 1921 in South Wales, UK. So we still need to find a record of him coming into the uk. This is where I have concentrated my searches barbados to UK but may have come from new york to uk. I remember my grandma saying that he did have some of his family that went to new york so this is credible.

Thanks ruth

Ruth

Ruth Report 30 Oct 2010 17:27

unfortunately the first child was born in the uk in 1917 so this cant be the william phillips I am after. He must have entered the uk before 1917. Any other suggestions I could try and determine this?

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 31 Oct 2010 19:54

Ruth,

can you confirm the name of the child born in 1917?

I'm a little confused as to your info, you say that the marriage cert indicates that they married in 1921, if this is right who is the child born in 1917?

The more info we have the better the chances are of finding William coming to the UK.

What was his occupation on his marriage certificate or childs birth certificate?

Who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate?

Why do you think he moved between; Barbados, Canada and the UK?

Sorry about all the questions, just hoping the answers to them may find more info for you??

Dee x

Ruth

Ruth Report 4 Nov 2010 21:42

Hi Dee thanks for your questions as I appear to be going round in circles and have come to a brick wall.
My uncles name that is unfortunately another William but his name is william henry phillips born 12.4.1918 married Elizabeth Spicer date of birth 1924.
I am told by the family that my grandmother had many children over the years many of them born at birth and they believe there was one born in 1917 male child died soon after his birth.
These are the notes from one of my other uncles
"I was given to understand one of my Dad's brothers moved to Philadelphia who was some kind of preacher and later sent for his sister Mary I do not know a lot of the family history to my knowledge Dad left Barbados on cargo ship and served quite some time in the merchant service also in the royal navy at the beginning of the 1914 war when he was discharged he went down the pit I cannot ever remember Buffalo being mentioned though Dad did travel extensively in his young days as when a ship docked if the stay was likely to be some time the crew would be paid off and left to fend for themselves he rode the freight trains across the states and another time from Calcutta to Bombay that was in the days before immigration controls were more lax ".
On his birth certificate it shows william senior as a miner. The witnesses were John Henry Davies and Ellen May Davies. His occupation on my mothers birth certificate is coal hewer. I also have noticed that his name on this document is thomas henry phillips. Thanks for your help

Ruth

Ruth Report 20 Nov 2010 21:40

Does anyone have any information in regard to where the records maybe for the land owners in barbardos? Can we get to this on line?

thanks

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 22:20

190. WILLIAM RICHARD PHILLIPS - International Genealogical Index / CX
Gender: Male Marriage: 25 MAR 1815 Christ Church, Barbados, Caribbean

191. WILLIAM NATHANIEL PHILLIPS - International Genealogical Index / CX
Gender: Male Christening: 13 MAY 1819 Saint Michael, Barbados, Caribbean

192. WILLIAM COLLYMORE PHILLIPS - International Genealogical Index / CX
Gender: Male Christening: 10 OCT 1819 Saint George, Barbados, Caribbean

193. WILLIAM RICHARD PHILLIPS - International Genealogical Index / CX
Gender: Male Christening: 04 APR 1825 Saint Michael, Barbados, Caribbean

194. William A. Phillips - International Genealogical Index / CX

195. WILLIAM GEORGE PHILLIPS - International Genealogical Index / CX
Gender: Male Christening: 27 OCT 1826 Saint Michael, Barbados, Caribbean

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 22:22

English Settlers in Barbados, 1637-1800 : Genealogical ...
The single volume of Barbados baptisms covers the whole period 1637-1800, ... titles, relationships, place names, references, land owners, burial locations, ...

www.genealogical.com/products/English%20Settlers%20in... - 38k - Similar pages

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 22:23

condition of women in britain and its empire
At beginning of 1800s, only small minority of population of Britain and Empire had ... 1816 Slave revolt in Barbados. 1831 Slave revolt at Montego Bay, Jamaica .... Most land owned by absentee English landowners and worked by tenant ...

pers-www.wlv.ac.uk/~le1810/hs10152.htm - 21k - Similar pages

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 22:23

Economics of Emancipation: Jamaica & Barbados, 1823-1843 - ...
By the 1800s planters had overextended themselves and increasingly found it .... able to become landowners than their counterparts in Barbados (see pp. ...

www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=223 - 22k - Similar pages

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 22:24

The Political History of Barbados: From Colonization to Modern ...
(16) land-owners were chosen to constitute the House of Burgesses, ... Between the 1800s and the 1900s Barbados was the main Government for the British ...

www.funbarbados.com/ourisland/history/political_histo... - 17k - Similar pages

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 22:26

Glossary
Barbados. An island, formerly a British colony, in the south of the Caribbean region. ... William Dillwyn, George Harrison, James Phillips, Richard Phillips, ... The general name given to land cultivated by slaves for a plantation owner. ... A group of property owners brought together to defend their financial ...

www.bl.uk/learning/histcitizen/campaignforabolition/a... - 30k - Similar pages

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 22:38

Philips Family Genealogy Forum
31 Jan 2002 ... Phillips in Jamaica or Barbados??? Late 1600s - Everette Phillips 11/12/06 ..... Phillips family in Macon Co.NC.early 1800's - Margaret Phillips Petty 1/24/ ...

genforum.genealogy.com/philips/ - 70k - Similar pages
BBC - Mid Wales History - Thomas Phillips
27 Jan 2009 ... Thomas Phillips was known as the 'liberal' slave trader. ... they having a more dreadful apprehension of Barbados than ewe have of hell, ... in England in the 1800s some of my family members were sent from Oxfordshire to ...

www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites/history/pages/thomas_ph... - 38k - Similar pages

Renes

Renes Report 21 Nov 2010 09:07

Nudging on th threads

Renes

Renes Report 21 Nov 2010 19:30

Ruth

I know it is very confusing but you seem to have opened
two threads --- I know one is asking info, in general , where to look for Barbados records

But members are answering on both

You asked what was IGI - International Genealogical Index at
http://www.familysearch.org -

there is a direct link from the pilot family search link I gave you on your other thread which is also also on tips
http://www.genesreunited.com/boards.page/board/tips_board/thread/1247084

Irene

Renes

Renes Report 21 Nov 2010 19:32

Ruth

please see your other thread

http://www.genesreunited.com/boards.page/board/tips_board/thread/1246861?jump=7360491

Ruth

Ruth Report 14 Jul 2013 02:33

Does anyone know where "mannings land" is in St George, Barbados. Can seem to find anything on this. I am assuming it is a planation owner as this is where my grandfather lived at time of his baptism.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 14 Jul 2013 09:09

Ruth...
Try the link below....

http://creolelinks.com/1913-barbados-plantation-owners-names.html

Scroll down through all the list and you will see Manning also Manning & Searle...
Searle is listed for St George ...there may well have been a connection between the two names..business/family....