Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 27 Jan 2011 18:38

I wonder if anyone else has come across a death not being registered i
would love to know if anyone has had the same problem.
Margaret

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2011 18:54

Most of us have!!!

i suspect that its a combination of the records being lost between the Reg office and gro, wrongly transcribed at some point, or possibly dying and being registered somewhere out of their normal location....just to throw you off the scent!

We have to remember that the information on a death cert, is only as accurate as the informer gives. So Jacob Henry Jones, if know as Henry, could have been registered as Henry Jones, or Henry J Jones.

Although registration came into being in Sep 1837, I don't think it was compulsary to register deaths at that time. Someone else may be able to give you the correct year.

You could always start a thread on TTF or records and let other people bang their heads against your brick wall/s!!

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 27 Jan 2011 20:15

Hi Margaret,

Did you check the replies on your previous thread looking for a death record on the records board a few days ago?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/records_office/thread/1255272

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Jan 2011 22:56

1865 was when registration became compulsory in England and Wales. Not sure of date in Ireland or Scotland.

Mind you, I know that not all births were registered even after that date.

Jill

Joy

Joy Report 27 Jan 2011 23:13

Yes. My great-grandfather was buried but his death was not registered, that was in 1901.

I have the burial record details. The register office staff checked their records and his death was not registered.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 29 Jan 2011 08:50

thank you for all your replies i am quite certain that the death i have looked for for 9 years was not registered. He was alive in the 1881 census and had 2 further children between 1881 and 1889 and in 1891 his wife was a widow and she remarried in 1893 and one of the witnesses was a brother of the late husband. I have had a search done at the local record office and I have looked under all spellings of his name all to no avail . thank you
Margaret

Loopylou

Loopylou Report 29 Jan 2011 12:06

Hi , l have had 2 deaths that l couldnt trace but thanks to some lovely people on this site.pointing me in right direction. l died outside the area/in hospital area/ and 1 was spelt very very wrong..have you tried the local church registry that he lived in.? or the church reg where he was born?
Bette.

Eddieisagrandad

Eddieisagrandad Report 29 Jan 2011 12:58

I have both births and deaths that were registered up to 250 miles from where the event took place.
For example, one death that occured in Kent was n't registered until the family, who were from Devonshire returned home to Devon.
Also I have a birth in Surrey that was registered in Gloucestershire.
Indeed my own birth was registered many many miles from where I was born.
I suspect this is a primary reason for people "disappearing" from census returns and other records.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 29 Jan 2011 13:42

Margaret

I know it might sound a bit daft but have you looked for your man in 1891, 1901 and 1911? It's possible that the couple split up and his wife called herself a widow in 1891 even though she wasn't. Bigamy was relatively common in those days as divorce was practically impossible.

Jill

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 29 Jan 2011 19:18

It is always possible that an inquest was held. My partner's sister was killed in an RTA in 1986 but as there were criminal proceedings and an inquest, her death was not registered until the September quarter of 1987.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Jan 2011 13:48

Dorothy - It would be best to delete your request and start your own thread on TTF or Records.

Remember - only one thread per family request to avoid duplication of helpers efforts.

In the meantime, look for baptisms on IGI (familysearch.org) or Search Trees on here for the Elizabeth and William. Another researcher may have found info. Also freereg.org.uk for transcribed parish records. Both sites are free to use.

Good luck

Mark

Mark Report 25 Nov 2012 14:31

1837 registration began but it was not compulsory till 1875

GRUNKLE

GRUNKLE Report 25 Nov 2012 18:53

Hi I SEEM TO HAVE SAME PROBLEM MY GRANDFAHER SEEMS TO HAVE DISSAPEARED SOMETIME BETWEEN 1904 &1911 HIS YOUNGEST CHILD BORN 1904 BUT HE WAS NOT FOUND IN 1911 CENSUS HAVE FOUND NO RECORD OF DEATH SEVERAL SAME SURNAME SAME INITIALS BUTFURTHER RESEARCH PROVED UNSUCCESSFUL HIS WIDOW LIVED IN SAME FAMILY HOME TILL HER DEATH IN 1950 DEATH CERT DESCRIBES HER AS HIS WIDOW . STILL SEARCHING MAYBE HE RAN OFF AND CHANGED HIS NAME ???

GRUNKLE

GRUNKLE Report 21 Aug 2016 10:40

I am having difficulty finding death certificates for my grandfather who was head of household 1901 census but 1911 census records his wife as head with two sons &two lodgers he does not appear to have been recorded
Also Grandfathers first wife who he appears to have deserted abt 1889 -1891 leaving her with two sons living with her mother brother and her two sons they were recorded in 1891 census also 1901 but 1911 census her mother and sons were recorded but she is not Again no death certificate found or divorce / remarriage not sure where to look now suggestions please

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Aug 2016 11:08

Hello Grunkle- if you post some details perhaps others can help

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Aug 2016 13:51

if she was deserted she may have taken up with someone else and lived as his spouse using his surname .

she may have left her children with her mum either temporarily or on a permanent basis.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Aug 2016 14:19

Grunkle- Just looking at one of your previous posts- was your Grandfather Robert Bainbridge?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1312550

Is this your Grandmother in 1939?:

Banbridge Household (1 Person) 2 Tarring Road , Worthing M.B., Sussex, England

Emma J Banbridge 09 Feb 1858 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Widowed