Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a mix up!!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Feb 2011 11:00

I have Gilbert Blue born 1835 in Carradale, Argyll, he married Elizabeth Duncan in Rothesay, Bute in 1867, his parents were Alexander and Martha Blue (ms McLean).
Now I have gone wrong with Alexanders parents, I had Alexander and Margaret (ms Anderson) but it appears that's not Alexanders parents at all. I have a load of Blues on my tree which aren't actually mine.

Can anyone please help me sort this mess out?

Potty

Potty Report 17 Feb 2011 11:05

Have you found Alexander's death cert? If he died in Scotland, it should have his parents.

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Feb 2011 11:08

Potty, thank you, I never thought of that.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Feb 2011 11:12

Alexander &Martha married 12th Feb 1835--Killean &Kilchenzie Argyll..an extracted entry.there may have been banns.?

Have a look in OPR Scotlandspeople you could glean something from the entry..but from that time all that could be is --Martha McLean dau of ???some vicars/priests/rev put more information than others..as put, find the death for Alexander the true parents will be named if known.....

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Feb 2011 11:15

Kay, thank you. I got that on Scotlands people but no parents names.

I have to pop back out to work now for a couple of hours.

Potty

Potty Report 17 Feb 2011 11:16

I can find Alexander (on Ancestry as Alice!) in the 1851, POB Killern, Argyll living in Bute. He is also on the 1861 and 1871 but can't find him in 1881 - so that cuts down the search period for his death.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Feb 2011 11:33

www.familysearch.org -------isnt showing many Alexander Blue bn Argyll as submitted entires but are also showing the information given has been got from sources of records..possibly added as more details became known?

did Gilbert follow any naming paterns?

ps,familysearch make it a first port of call for Scotland bapt /m early records as it can save lots of credits at first before you plunge to get images of the wrong people's details..there were no Scotish birth certificates before 1855 only a baptism record.

Potty

Potty Report 17 Feb 2011 12:37

There is a death for an Alexander Blue in Bute in 1873 on scotlandspeople.
Looking on familysearch batch No 7210103
there are a lot of Blues with parents Neil and Janet McMillian (including an Alexander). Amongst them are a Gilbert and a Neil- names that also show in Alexander's family.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Feb 2011 12:49

Bonny Lass.. Think this may be them...

Saddell and Skipness, a parish on the E side of Kintyre peninsula, Argyllshire, formed from the parishes of Killean and Kilcalmonell in 1753. It contains the village of Carradale,

GILBERT BLUE Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 29 DEC 1835

Christening: 01 JAN 1836 Saddell And Skipness, Argyll, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: ALEXANDER BLUE Family
Mother: MARTHA MACLEAN

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Feb 2011 12:55

Here is the marriage... There is a submitted entry showing a Martha (Saddell and Skip. marrying Alex Blue..8th Feb 1835 but the one I have listed is the extracted one .) Have 2 headaches coming on..and your after away to your work...!!!.

ALEXANDER BLUE Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: MARTHA MCLEAN Family
Marriage: 12 FEB 1835 Killean And Kilchenzie, Argyll, Scotland

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Feb 2011 14:17

Potty, no wonder it's confusing... he's called Alice. Lol. Thank you.

Alexander who married Martha had a son called Gilbert born 1835 in Argyll, he married Elizabeth Duncan in 1867 in Rothesay, Bute.

Gilbert & Elizabeth had -
Elizabeth 1868
Martha 1870 (she married Robert Hall)
Alexander 1870 (Marthas twin)
Archibald 1871
Gilbert 1872 (All born in Port Glasgow)

Gilbert 1872 married Rachel Arthur .

Hope you understand that.

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Feb 2011 14:18

Kay, thank you very much.

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Feb 2011 14:20

Now for you my wise old owl Erin....

Thank you again, can I ask what you mean by submitted entry and extracted one?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Feb 2011 14:29

Bonny Lass...How do you manage to keep up with it all !!
Submitted data is that which someone has "submitted " to the LDS.(needs to be treated with caution unless you can verify the info.through another source..) "Extracted" is that which has been extracted from the Registers' etc and is verifyable...you can often find submitted data is actually verifyable by checking the extracted but by and large your best sticking to extracted...in your case its probaly best to let someone else do it for you..!!!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Feb 2011 14:39

Bonny Lass...Am I missing something here ...where did Anderson (mmn) come into it...You always had Martha "Mclean" as Gilberts mother...
Why am I not suprised something /someone has gone adrift somewhere...

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Feb 2011 14:44

Erin, keep up......

Gilberts parents were Alexander and Martha

I somehow had Alexanders parents (Gilberts grandparents) as Alexander and Margaret Blue (ms Anderson) but thats wrong, they're not the right ones. Lol

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Feb 2011 14:45

I think I'm going to go and get myself certified before long.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Feb 2011 14:47

Bonny Lass...You and me both....can't see for laughing..!!!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Feb 2011 14:50

Bonny Lass ..So I take it we are now looking for the parents of Alexander (father of Gibert..) please say yes..!!!

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Feb 2011 14:53

Yes Erin and it's Gilbert not Gibert, you're thinking about Giblets aren't you. LOL