Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So Strange.

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Walter

Walter Report 23 Feb 2011 11:24

I know that I am new to Genealogy and have a lot to learn, but you would think that I could get something right, wouldn't you? I need to locate a William Mead, who in 1904 lived with his wife Florence (Nee Cooper)at 3 Ruskin Street. Hull. I know without any shadow of doubt that this person did exist at this time and did live at this address.

So strange then, that I have searched the Births, the Deaths and the Marriages, way back and not one hint of their existence. Okay, this may just be my gross inexperience. So I have their address in 1904, is it possible to locate them through the address or is this a forelorn hope? Tips are very welcome as the search is so very urgent. Many thanks. Walt

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 23 Feb 2011 11:34

Unlikely I know but

1911???
MEAD, William Head Married
40 years M 63 1848 Shop Assistant Draper Yorks Staithes VIEW
MEAD, Elizabeth Wife Married F 60 1851 Yorks Hull VIEW
MEAD, Florence Emily Daughter Single F 33 1878 At Home Yorks Hull VIEW
RG number:
RG14 Piece:
28735 Reference:
RG14PN28735 RG78PN1650 RD521 SD8 ED24 SN232

Registration District:
Sculcoates Sub District:
West Sculcoates Enumeration District:
24 Parish:
Sculcoates

Address:
49 Blenheim St Hull

The people you mention were not living in Ruskin St in 1911:

1911:

22 THORPE, Frederick William Head M 47 1864 Confectioner Traveller Raffeston Yorks VIEW
22 THORPE, Martha Rayne Wife F 44 1867 Hull VIEW
22 THORPE, Arthur R W Son Single M 23 1888 Tailors Cutter Hull VIEW
22 THORPE, Frederick W Son M 22 1889 Hull VIEW
22 THORPE, Daisy Lennia Daughter F 18 1893 Shop Assistant China Stores Hull VIEW
22 THORPE, Edith Clara Daughter F 16 1895 Shop Assistant China Stores Hull VIEW
RG number:
RG14 Piece:
28804 Reference:
RG14PN28804 RG78PN1652 RD522 SD2 ED35 SN22

Registration District:
Hull Sub District:
Myton Enumeration District:
35 Parish:
Holy Trinity and St Mary

Address:
3 Ruskin Street Anlaby Road Hull County:
Yorkshire (East riding)

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 23 Feb 2011 11:47

Do you know anything else at all about the couple? Did they have 2nd forenames? Did they have any children? What was William's occupation? How old were they in 1904? How do you know Florence's maiden name? Do you have any idea where they may have been born?

Why is the search "So very urgent"?

Tim

Tim Report 23 Feb 2011 12:26

Walter

As Jonesey has said, give us all the info you have on them, date of birth/age is probably the most important.

They were not in Ruskin Street in 1901 and there is not a lot of choice when searching the sirname Mead in Hull in 1901.

Jonesey.....Walter had given Florence as nee Cooper, but again to try and narrow that down the age is critcal

Tim

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Feb 2011 12:33

There's no marriage of a Florence Cooper to a Mead anywhere, anytime on FreeBMD.

Tim

Tim Report 23 Feb 2011 12:41

1901 the Tarbitson family were in 3 Ruskin Street

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Feb 2011 13:01

Walter, since you say you're new to genealogy, may I suggest a good rule to follow is to stick around when you post a query so that you can answer questions.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 23 Feb 2011 13:27

What evidence do you have dated 1904 - marriage or birth cert etc ?

Walter

Walter Report 23 Feb 2011 13:34

This is what I said. So strange! Jonesy, William Meads occupation in 1904 was Foreman Toolmaker and to me that must put him as about 40 or 50. Maybe? Strange because almost all Meads I have logged have been either Tailors or in the Drapery business.
Tim. You say that there was no Mead in 3 Rusking Street in 1901. That may well be, but and this might answer both yourself and Mad Bull, I happen to have a Birth certificate for a William Horace Mead, born to Florence Mead (Nee Cooper) and William Mead, Foreman Toolmaker of, wait for it. 3 Ruskin Street. The baby was delivered by my Grandmother, Cissie Spencer of the same address.
I am not sure if this belongs here, but I am learning from it and you are certainly giving me tips, which is what I need.
My father, as I have always known him, is Henry Horace Spencer. There is a great mystery surrounding him. I had it from him in a letter which sadly is now lost. That he was given to Cissie Spencer (Also known as Hephzibar Spencer from Morton in Derbyshire.)by Florence. He spent his whole life trying to prove who his father really was. He adopted the name Spencer and was married to my mother in that name, the name we all bear to this day. Cissie married a Walter DeLacy, a Ships Purser sailing on the Wilson Line Angelo. But this was when my father was about 20 ish. How could any couple, especially when the husband was in a sound trade, give away a new born baby? Why is there a Birth Certificate, but no Marriage Certificate, No Death Certificate. Was the child Cissie Spencers child and did the Meads cover for her by registering the baby as theirs? I need to solve this puzzle so that why I need tips.
Urgently because I have Cancer and Heart disease and time is not what I have a lot of. Thank you for the tips and hopefully they will help me. Regards Walt

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Feb 2011 13:47

This is the closest one that I can see on FreeBMD but mother's maiden name was Mead making it look like an illegitimate child.

Births Sep 1914 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mead William H N Mead Keighley 9a 313

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 23 Feb 2011 13:49

1911 ??

SPENCER, Hephzibah Single F 31 1880 State Inbriate Repormatory Attendant Morton Derbyshire VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
7933 Reference:
RG14PN7933 RD146 SD2 ED6 SN9999

Registration District:
Aylesbury Sub District:
Aylesbury Enumeration District:
6 Parish:

Address:
State Reformatory Aylesbury

Walter

Walter Report 23 Feb 2011 13:56

Hi Mad Bull. My father was born , 24th November 1904 and registered in Jan 1905. Seeingf as Florence Mead gives her maiden name (Cooper) this seems to imply that she was married, but was she? Walt

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Feb 2011 14:02

Cissy's marriage:

Marriages Mar 1926 (>99%)

De Lacy Walter Spencer Sculcoates 9d 350
Spencer Hephzibah De Lacy Sculcoates 9d 350

Walter

Walter Report 23 Feb 2011 14:03

Hi Glitter Baby. Yes, thats my Grandmother Cissie. I think she got around quite a lot, working as parlour maid, etc. eventually ending up in Hull where she seems to have settled. Having a baby to care for would not be any incentive to travel I suppose. She was 31 then in 1880. She married Walter DeLacy in 1926. He was born in 1980 making him quite a bit younger than Hephzibar (Cissie). Hmmm!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Feb 2011 14:04

Woops! How did I manage that? 10 years out! Don't know why I was thinking 1914.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Feb 2011 14:08

OK this is the correct one. Excuse my bumbling!

Births Mar 1905 (>99%)

Mead William Horace Hull 9d 298

Potty

Potty Report 23 Feb 2011 14:10

Hephzibar in 1901 - there is a Florence in the household:

1901 England Census
about Hepzibah Spencer
Name: Hepzibah Spencer
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Relation: Servant
Where born: Tibshelf, Derbyshire, England

Civil parish: Disley
Ecclesiastical parish: Disley St Mary the Virgin
Town: Disley
County/Island: Cheshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Hayfield
Sub-registration district: Hayfield
ED, institution, or vessel: 19
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 8
Household Members: Name Age
Leigh Slater 59
Lillie Slater 44
Florence L Slater 24
Beatrice M L Slater 23
Harold S L Slater 20
Lilian J L Slater 18
Eustace Hutton 27
Harriett Sandelin 39
Hepzibah Spencer 22
Matilda Beeley 28

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Feb 2011 14:11

But if Cissy was in a state reformatory in 1911 where was baby William Horace?

Walter

Walter Report 23 Feb 2011 14:13

Would 3 Ruskin Street have been some kind of a lodging house, do you think. I mean all these different people in such a short space of time. I always had it in my mind that Ruskin Street was out in the countryside at that time and a select area. Once I thought that maybe Cissie was working for the Meads as a maid. But then I thought, how could a Toolmaker afford servants?

Potty

Potty Report 23 Feb 2011 14:22

MadBull, Cissy was an Attendant at the Reformatory, not an inmate but, yes, where was the baby?

Walter, do you know when the Meads gave your father to Cissy?

I did wonder if they were patients in the reformatory but you say Cissy delivered the baby, so she was with them in 1904.

How do you know that Cissy did actually deliver the baby? Was it just word of mouth or is there some documentary evidence? Who was the informant on the birth cert?