Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TIP OF THE DAY...THE WILL

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Renes

Renes Report 26 Jun 2013 13:27

Nudging up for my friend

Enjoy

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 31 Jan 2013 18:21

nudge as i need to read this later

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 31 Jan 2013 12:05

Probate records before 1858...

National Archives Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/a4dcqfr

Chris

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Jan 2013 13:26

nudge nudge

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 31 Oct 2012 08:57

Sylvia's nudge has reminded me that something in this thread needed updating.

The date range of the Probate Calendar database on Ancestry has been increased and now includes records up to 1966.

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966

Amongst all the other useful information that a will or even just the probate calendar entry can provide is the name of the wills executor(s) or the person to whom administration was granted. These might be the deceased's wife, husband, their child(ren), the spouse of a child or the deceased's parent(s) or the deceased's sibling(s). That information could confirm that you are following the right path and provide a clue as to whether others associated with the deceased were still around when the deceased died.

Happy hunting.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Oct 2012 03:58

nudge

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 12 Sep 2012 18:02

:-)

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 12 Sep 2012 16:05

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 May 2012 18:26

Nudge up

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 9 Mar 2012 08:58

I am nudging this because it is so useful. I am now going to try to find some wills for my afford zfamily who originate from Mere in Wiltshire up to my grandfather when the family moved to London.

A lot of interesting advice on here, zthank you to all who have submitted information.

Bridget, still in Spain

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 13 Jan 2012 22:31

wow 2/3 of people left a will ???!! Not in my family it appears...the odds were very much lower than that. very useful thread Jonesey. Thank you.

And thank you Joy for pointing me in the right direction :)

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 13 Jan 2012 22:26

oooh another one :)

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 13 Jan 2012 21:17

JerryH

JerryH Report 9 Dec 2011 15:33

Wills in Devon prior to 1858 can be a problem as many of the records were destroyed by the bombing of Exeter during WW2

There is an excellent webpage I have found at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm

which is worth a visit.

Also Death Duty records should not be discounted as a valuable source.
The DDR1 records for the period 1796 to 1811 are available to search at the National Archives and can be downloaded in the same way as a PCC Will. These records are not limited to any specific part of the Country.
These are Abstracts of a Will and normally contain details of Executors and Beneficiaries together with amounts bequeathed.

Kew (PRO) also hold records DDR2 for 1812 to 1857 which are only available on Microfiche.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 20 Jun 2011 22:11

Nudge

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 May 2011 10:27

Wiltshire wills before 1858 (1540-1858)...

http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/heritage/probate.php

Free searchable database and a copy can be ordered, £5. Some are available to view online after payment.

If you have no luck then a search the in the PCC wills may be worthwhile..

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Chris

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 29 May 2011 09:03

Spanisheyes,

Hi, You will not see the actual will itself but Ancestry has amongst its databases this one:.

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1861-1941

If one of your ancestors wills was proven or a grant of administration of their estate made during that period then you can usually see the size of their estate and the name of their executors or the person who was granted administration rights. To search the database you will need to enter your ancestors name, the area they lived in and approximate date of death. If you find a record you can order a copy of the will/grant itself from any UK probate office (See opening post).

Good luck.

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 29 May 2011 08:18

Please could someone let me know where I can find Wills for people who lived in Mere Wiltshire. As I do not live in the UK it is very difficult for me to visit places.

Thank you

Also have found this a very interesting thread.

09.22 hrs Spain.

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 29 May 2011 08:18

Please could someone let me know where I can find Wills for people who lived in Mere Wiltshire. As I do not live in the UK it is very difficult for me to visit places.

Thank you

Also have found this a very interesting thread.

09.22 hrs Spain.

Annx

Annx Report 26 May 2011 20:28

Apparently poorer people would leave a Will to dispose of the tools of their trade, pots and pans, furniture or items of clothing. Remember things were used and mended years ago till they could be used and mended no more. A lady at our RO found a petticoat being left in a Will. Always worth looking as she said.