Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Channel Islands ..records. .. Renewed request

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 15 Jul 2011 08:06

Morning all ...

I have asked this question many years ago, but hoping someone may have some up dated info......

I am trying find where Channel Island bdm records are available.

I just Google the topic and came up with them being on the LDS websites.. as far a I can work out this only hold census lists.

I have my family on the 1861 and previous census listed as 'Burridge/Buridge' ( which should read 'Bowditch' grrr .. there starts one of my problems), after this census the family seem to disappear. Alice and Louisa (daughters)end up in Australia after the 1871 census.

So what I really need are some BDM records...

Thankful for any help on this subject...

Cheers
Karen of Brisbane
( I am at chat sight on and off for the next 15 hours, due to time differences) :-) :-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Jul 2011 08:17

Hi Karen,
There are no online CI BDM that are equivilant to mainland UK records only census.

Karen

Karen Report 15 Jul 2011 08:22

Hi Kay,

Tks for that ..

So next step, any suggestions on how to obtain this info..

Karen

Pam

Pam Report 15 Jul 2011 08:32

Take a look at this site...it might give some ideas as to where to find the information.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/channel-islands-and-man.htm

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Jul 2011 09:10

There is a GR member that sometimes does Jersey lookups

Karen

Karen Report 15 Jul 2011 09:54

Tks everyone for your replies ...

I am looking at the island of Guernsey

Cheers
Karen

jerseylily

jerseylily Report 15 Jul 2011 10:41

I can only do Jersey bmds but there was a Burridge/Bowditch family in Jersey. I have done quite a lot of work on this family and I have a feeling that at least one of them was transported to Tasmania. I'll have a rummage through my notes if you think there might be a connection.

It might be worth joining the Family History Section of La Société Guernesiaise, although they will charge for any research they do.

In Guernsey, the Priaulx Library is the centre for Family History research.

Donkipedia is another site that has some Guernsey records but as I suspect your family originated in England it might not be much help as it tends to concentrate on old established Guernsey names.

Karen

Karen Report 15 Jul 2011 23:23

Hi jerseylily

Many tks for this info ..

Yes my family does come from Dorset., but several children were born at St Peters Port, and there is every possibly that one could have been sent to Tasmania .. maybe a John Bowditch/Burridge bc 1844 ish . Unfortunately the spelling of this surname is the biggest problem as I have so many versions its hard to keep track of ...

There is another Bowditch family in St Peters Port, head is George and Hester, but my family is George and Ruth, who seem to vanish after the 1861 census...

Tks heaps
Karen :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 16 Jul 2011 10:31

Check out
http://www.societe.org.gg/sections/familyhistory.php

Karen

Karen Report 17 Jul 2011 03:49

Hi to all ..

Sorry for delay in answering, have had a busy weekend.. very social ...

Many Tks for this info

Cheers Karen

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 18 Jul 2011 14:18

Nudge

Karen

Karen Report 6 Jun 2013 06:55

Nudge .......

I have nudged this thread again, in case some new research for the Channel Islands is available

Tried writing to Chanel Island society with no replies

Many Tks for any help

Cheers
Karen of Brisbane

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jun 2013 08:25

Hi Karen

There is no change to the access to records. Have a look at www.priaulxlibrary.co.uk.
They charge a fee but can do look ups or research.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Jun 2013 11:05

CI,covers,,,,Jersey,Sark,Alderney etc,

Clvil registration didnt begin till 1842 to present,there are Parish Registers and the Society of Genealogists have PR for Guernsey.it maybe worth having a look at their site and to contact them to see if they have extended any futher CI research. costs will apply.

Karen

Karen Report 6 Jun 2013 11:20

Thanks to you both for the updates. ..

Kay , not sure what "CI" is. .. Think I am having a senior moment. ..

Cheers

Karen

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 6 Jun 2013 11:43

I too was going to say the Priaulx Library - this is the main repository for all Guernsey records.

I needed my grandfathers death cert and got it via them. I also needed info on the graveyard as his grave was one of many which disappeared into a quarry. I got loads of newspaper cuttings etc.,

Yes I had to pay, but I certainly got my moneys worth. They are fantastic. I called them originally and they were so helpful

:-)

Karen

Karen Report 6 Jun 2013 12:12

Tks PigletsPal...

Did they have an email address ?? I am Australia .. I will also google later. ..

Tks again K

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Jun 2013 12:30

Several people are researching this family.
13 trees on Mundia.com.Probably on other sites as well.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jun 2013 13:29

Karen
CI is the abbreviation for Channel Islands.
The Guernsey parish records are amazing - especially for those of us used to English records where we can often only get the most basic information.
They go back a very long way and can be written either in English or French - sometimes both languages on the same page. Where this happens it is usually the locals in French and the English residents (often soldiers) in English. Even on baptismal and death records you can be told the names of the previous generation, and the birth records invariably have the god parents names.

Karen

Karen Report 6 Jun 2013 13:29

HiThelma

Yes there many trees concerning this family and I have done lots of research, but there are still many questions unanswered. There also appears to be a lot of incorrect info as well. I also have a private tree on Ancestry.

Cheers
Karen