Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

old driving licence records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 11 Oct 2011 16:32

Was wondering if anyone has heard whether there is anywhere that l could get an old driving licence record. l am talking about 1938-1945. have given up trying to find out from the DVLA office....just can't get through to ask. l have tried googling too....but nothing. Would be very grateful. Thanks
maureen

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 11 Oct 2011 17:17

I am only guessing but I would think that the only possible place that such records are likely to be held would be at the DVLA.

Whether the DVLA would be prepared to release such information for purely genealogy purposes I very much doubt.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 11 Oct 2011 17:23

Driver registration was introduced in 1903 with the Motor Car Act. Holders of the sulphur-yellow coloured document were entitled to "drive a motor car or motor cycle".[13] The wording changed in 1930 after which holders were allowed to "drive or steer a motor car or to drive a motor cycle". It was not clear why a motor cycle would not need to be steered. Shortly afterwards, the document cover changed to a dark red colour: holders were for a period entitled to drive a vehicle of "any class or description".[13] Subsequent changes saw the document list precisely those vehicle types for which holders were licensed.

Competency tests were introduced in 1934 by the Motor Vehicles Regulations 1935; they were suspended in 1939 for seven years due to the Second World War and in 1956 for one year due to the Suez Crisis. The only person in the United Kingdom who is not required to have a driving licence in order to drive is The Queen.[14] She also does not require number plates on any vehicles which are personally owned by her.

Until 1973, driving licences (and tax discs) were issued by local authorities, ( so not DVLA )

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_the_United_Kingdom

I do remember the DVLA taking over driving licences as they lost thousands of records and many people including me had to re apply and take another driving test due to them loosing records in the changeover

Roy

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 11 Oct 2011 17:30

Thanks for the answers....and yes.....l had forgotten, roy, that we renewed at the post office. probably have better records too.

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 11 Oct 2011 19:09

Thanks for your input....would be lovely to think that the old records exist!!! Bit of needle in haystack for the late 30's though.bet they are all destroyed.

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 11 Oct 2011 20:30

Well....it was unusual for someone to own a car in 1938....and l am looking for this person....so may get his d.o.b from it. l know he was in the area with a car in those years.can't find anythin out until l at least get that....and an address.

Quoy

Quoy Report 12 Oct 2011 05:59

Do you know what the car was and it's registration ?

I ask because you could try the British Heritage Museum Gaydon Warwick

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/exhibitions/archive-services/

We went and got the history of our car .
If you go there it does not cost anything

Quoy

Quoy Report 12 Oct 2011 09:43

Just noticed your board name

if it's a Morris Minor you will be in luck

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 12 Oct 2011 10:00

LOL.....no...shame but l don't know what the car was.

Quoy

Quoy Report 12 Oct 2011 10:19

Oh well back to the drawing board

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 12 Oct 2011 17:10

No not yet......have tried to find army records.....didn't think that he could be a driver though. Will look. Thanks