Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

regtimental numbers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Patricia Report 16 Apr 2013 20:08

Hi mgnv
thank you for your comment. From the details on the BC they were both at the offfice at the same time. It also has my mother's then married name and maiden names.
I did not know about these special forms. Perhaps my parents did not either. if they had perhaps the rest of the siblings may have had our father's name on their birth certs.
Many thanks


mgnv Report 9 Apr 2013 19:32

Re Roy's "Patricia, what your mother said about father not present to register the birth's is correct, if your parents were not married he would have to be present at the registry office to sign the register,"

That's not quite right - if the parents were unwed, then both must give written permission to add the father's name to the b.cert. This is normally done by both being present to jointly rego the birth, but it's not the only way. The father can sign at any UK rego office, or, if abroad, sign and have notarized the special form the GRO have for just such circumstances.


Patricia Report 9 Apr 2013 15:05

Hi to you all
Just wanted to send an update. Finally discovered regimental number, as suggested it was on an older sibling's birth certificate. However though we have no contact I did feel odd requesting a copy. All details have now been sent and I am eagerly awaiting news! Thank again for the support
Best wishes patj :-)


Patricia Report 24 Nov 2011 16:14

Hi was plain jane now ...........
thanks for advice. If I am unsuccessful in discovering his regitmental numer I will have to submit all other relevant information as requested and then wait and see what if anything comes of it.
I have not used the London Gazette before a new resource for me!
I think it's unlikely he received any medals as he did talk occasionally about
his time in the army and I am sure he would have mentioned that.


Patricia Report 24 Nov 2011 16:04

Hi Flick
thanks for that. however I shall not have a problem applying for my father's service record.
I have only learnt recently of his family history and have no idea who could possibly have been his next of kin, still that does not matter now either.
However all suggestions are really appreicated and already I have been led to web sites which may certainly be useful in my research.
I am curious too as I have noticed your cap/lapel pin, eyes not as good as they used to be, which corp/regitment.


Flick Report 24 Nov 2011 14:59

When joining the service your father would have HAD to give details of a next of kin.......if only for notification in the event of his death.


Flick Report 24 Nov 2011 14:57

Is your father's name on YOUR birth cert?

If it isn't, I rather fear that you will not be considered eligible to apply for his records, as you would have no proof of your relationship to him.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 24 Nov 2011 14:50

Could he have been awarded any medals or awards? Might be worth searching the London Gazette, just in case


Patricia Report 24 Nov 2011 10:42

Hi Roy
as I included in a previous post several of my siblings do not have our father's name on their birth certificates. My mother's explaination was that they were unmarried and my father was away on service.
I still need/would like to discover my father's coldstream guard's regitmental number. Any ideas :-)



Porkie_Pie Report 23 Nov 2011 23:30

Patricia, what your mother said about father not present to register the birth's is correct, if your parents were not married he would have to be present at the registry office to sign the register,

good luck


was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 23 Nov 2011 17:01

I applied to the Grenadier Guards some years ago for WW2 service records. I didn't have the Regimental number but they still supplied me with the records - hope this will be the same for you!


Patricia Report 23 Nov 2011 15:56

My mother told me years ago that as they were unmarried and my father was not around at the birth she was not permitted to add his name as the father without him being there,
True or not it makes little difference to us now but it certainly has had an impact on my research!


Patricia Report 23 Nov 2011 15:53

porkie pie
dad lost his parents when he was a child.
Looking into his history it was unlikely that
he submitted a next of kin, in fact from what
I have discovered it seems sadly he was in
a hurry to get away.
I have copies of my siblings birth certs and
some of them do not include our father's


Patricia Report 23 Nov 2011 15:48

thanks Flick
sadly both my parents are deceased.I am next of kin and can apply submitting a death cert.
I have a copy of his birth/death certs too but the archivist at Wellington Barracks London assures me that because of limitied time and resources my search would prove almost impossible without the addition of his regitmental number.
It was suggested by another source that I may find out his date of service through his National Insurance contributions, I contacted their office but like most govermental departments am still waiting for a reply,


Porkie_Pie Report 23 Nov 2011 15:31

As he is your father i presume you would no his dob and his parents names or his wife (next of kin at the time he joined) these should help with their search for him as these details will be in his records

and also as i posted above, did he get married or have any children whilst in the army as certs sometimes have the regimental number under fathers/groomes occupation



Flick Report 23 Nov 2011 15:23

It makes no difference whether your parents were married when he was serving............if your mother was married to him, was still married to him when he died, and is alive, the application will have to come from her.

Don't you know his date of birth?


Patricia Report 23 Nov 2011 14:35

and thank you all for all your interest and advice. My parents were not then married.
As George stated the Guards have their own records, I have contacted the Barracks and have learnt the cost is £35 for a search and the regitmental number is paramount in the search and the fee is still payable even if the search is unsuccessful.
Apart from his name I have no other details to submit, seems such a long shot as I cannnot even be certain of his dates of service.
However I am going to consider what to do next and will keep you up-to-date


Flick Report 19 Nov 2011 12:19

If your father is deceased, you may be asked to supply proof of his death.....and your kinship.

Is your mother alive?

If so, she would have to be the one to apply


Porkie_Pie Report 19 Nov 2011 11:22

Just a note:
Did your father get married or have children whilst being a serving soldier?
some birth cert's and marriage cert's may have the regimental number on them,

But George and GlitterBaby are correct you can still apply for his army service record without his regimental number



George_of_Westbury Report 18 Nov 2011 23:15

Be aware the Guards Regiments have there own archived service records, so you can apply direct to them,
Im sure if you have all his details without his service number they will help you

Here is the link to The Coldstream Guards.

You can download the appropriate forms direct from the site.



Unless you have already tried The Guards Archivist, and that is what they are telling you need his service number