Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IRISH RECORDS

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Leyther

Leyther Report 7 Jan 2012 17:22

Good evening
I am helping my partner research his family tree (as an amateur) and his Grandfather came to Lancashire from Londonderry around 1930 we believe. His name was Wiliam Evans.

We think his birth was c. 1913 and have his parents and sibling names....but as they only came to Lancashire in 1930, can anyone advise where I would start looking for the Irish records !?!? I have tried travel and overseas records but cannot see anything and obviosuly the 1911 UK census does not show anything. Is there an Irish census available for us to see? I have done my own tree but never had to look at Irish records so am stuck.

Your help and direction is much appreciated.

Thanks
Lorraine

Leyther

Leyther Report 7 Jan 2012 17:23

Title meant to be IRISH records - sorry :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Jan 2012 18:08

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Londonderry 1901 /1911 can be found here

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 7 Jan 2012 21:12

Hi Lorraine,
I looked at births on rootsireland.ie.
This site charges 5euro per certificate and are transcribed records
There are only births for 2 x William Evans in Londonderry in the time period.
Both are civil registrations

1) William Henry Evans b 1912 Co Derrry
2) William James Evans b 1913 Co Derry

These are the only births for a child named William Evans between 1903 and 1920.

Anne

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Jan 2012 01:02

The GRO(I) index thru 1958 (excl N. Ireland post-partition) is available at:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1®ion=EUROPE

One can purchase certs (or cheaper still, the uncertified images of the rego) via:
http://www.groireland.ie/

The Irish 1901/1911 censuses are free at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
[Not heard of any release dates for next census (=1926 in both Irelands)]

I would have expected to find him on a UK census - I forgot UK is now short for United Kingdom of Great England and Northern England.

NB If you edit your first post, you can edit the title too.

Leyther

Leyther Report 9 Jan 2012 14:27

Thank you for this help - I shall certainly look into this now - you have been very helpful indeed. : )
I shall get the Mother in Law to pay any Euro charges seeing as it is her Grandparents she is interested in haha

Thanks again
Lorraine

Leyther

Leyther Report 9 Jan 2012 14:28

THanks Anne - the William James looks like the record we want : )

Maura

Maura Report 9 Jan 2012 14:54

The record for William James Evans born 1913, lists the father as a Annie Evans,probably a transcription era, his mother was a Annie Eakins.
Annie Jane Eakins married Samuel Evans 14th February 1907 Cumber Lower Presbyterian Church, L/Derry

Residents of a house 10 in Umrycam (Banagher, Londonderry)1911
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Evans Samuel 30 Male Head of Family Presbyterian Co Derry Farmer Read and write - Married - 4 2 2
Evans Annie J 33 Female Wife Presbyterian Co Derry - Read and write - Married - 4 2 2
Evans Samuel W 3 Male Son Presbyterian Co Derry - Read and write - Single - - - -
Eakin John 70 Male Father in Law Presbyterian Co Derry Farmer Read and write - Widower

Maura

Maura Report 9 Jan 2012 14:57

Census Years1901LondonderryBanagherTerrydreenResidents of a house
Residents of a house 22 in Terrydreen (Banagher, Londonderry)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Evans William James 26 Male Son Presbyterian Terrydreen Farmer Read and write Irish Married -
Evans Mary A 18 Female Sons Wife Presbyterian Ballyhadeen - Read and write Irish Married -
Evans Samuel 22 Male Son Presbyterian Terrydreen Farmer Read and write Irish Not Married -
Evans John 19 Male Son Presbyterian Terrydreen Farmer Read and write Irish Not Married -
Evans Maaggie 14 Female Daughter Presbyterian Terrydreen Seamstress Read and write Irish Not Married -
Lyons Eliza J 19 Female Niece Presbyterian

Maura

Maura Report 9 Jan 2012 14:59

Census Years1901LondonderryBanagherUmricamResidents of a house
Residents of a house 6 in Umricam (Banagher, Londonderry)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Eakin John 58 Male Head of Family Presbyterian Co Derry Farmer Read and write - Married -
Eakin Margaret E 65 Female Wife Presbyterian Co Derry - Read and write - Married -
Eakin Anna J 23 Female Daughter Presbyterian

Maura

Maura Report 9 Jan 2012 15:01

Title : Mr Date of Death : 14 January 1926
Surname : Evans Date of Grant : 21 May 1926
Forename : Samuel Reseal Date :
Registry : Londonderry Effects : Effects £82 12s 6d
No Image

Full Abstract :
Evans Samuel of Umricam county Londonderry farmer died 14 January 1926 Administration Londonderry 21 May to Anne Jane Evans the widow. Effects £82 12s. 6d.

Maura

Maura Report 9 Jan 2012 15:08

William Henry born 1912 parents are Matthew Evans & Rachel Stewart

Census Years1911LondonderryMagherafeltTownparksResidents of a house
Residents of a house 35 in Townparks (Magherafelt, Londonderry)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Evans Matthew 47 Male Head of Family Presbyterian Londonderry Co Building Contractor Read and write - Married - - - -
Evans Rachel 37 Female Wife Presbyterian Londonderry Co - Read and write - Married - 16 9 6
Evans Samuel 15 Male Son Presbyterian Londonderry Co Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Evans Matthew 13 Male Son Presbyterian Londonderry Co Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Evans Jack 11 Male Son Presbyterian Londonderry Co Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Evans Violet 8 Female Daughter Presbyterian Londonderry Co Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Evans George 7 Male Son Presbyterian Londonderry Co Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Evans Arthur Stephen 2 Male Son Presbyterian

Maura

Maura Report 9 Jan 2012 15:17

There's 8 births from 1900-1920 for a William Evans in Derry

William Henry Evans Jan-Feb-Mar 1902 Magherafelt
William John Evans Jul-Aug-Sep 1902 Magherafelt
William James Evans Jul-Aug-Sep 1902 Londonderry
William James Evans Jan-Feb-Mar 1913 Londonderry
William Henry Evans Jul-Aug-Sep 1912 Magherafelt
William Norman Evans Oct-Nov-Dec 1914 Magherafelt
William Robert Evans Jul-Aug-Sep 1919 Magherafelt
William George Evans Apr-May-Jun 1921 Magherafelt

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 9 Jan 2012 17:22

Hi Maura,
Could you help me with something?
My gg grandmother died in Derry in 1867.
Her death is held on Ancestry
Her name was Margaret Brannan ( Variants) maiden name was McGrath.
How would I obtain her death cert and what info would it contain?

I strongly suspect that she died from a complication of childbirth as her son,
(my great grandfather) was born in Derry in Nov 1867.

The family moved to Glasgow where my great grandfather married
.... and history repeated itself in 1890 when his 1st wife ( my great grandmother) died from childbirth complications, just 10 days after the birth of my grandfather.

Thanks
Anne

Maura

Maura Report 9 Jan 2012 17:46

Anne, groireland.ie that mgnv listed is the best place to get Irish cert,

Irish death certs are not like Scottish cert, irish certs give you,

Name
date of death
address
Cause of death
The informant name & address

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 9 Jan 2012 17:56

Maura,
Thank you.
I may get this. I would be surprised if cause of death was not from childbirth, but I suppose it may give me the address where the family lived before her widower remarried and moved to Glasgow.
Would you know if Long Tower and St Columbs in Derry is the same RC church?
Someone told me this, but could not find anything to confirm it.

Anne

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 9 Jan 2012 18:10

Lorraine
It might be better to purchase the birth record from goireland.ie ans suggested by mgnv.
Transcribed records can and DO contain mis-transcriptions.
The 1st cert I ever purchased from rootsireland.ie sent me off on a wild goose chase that lasted over a year because the bride's maiden name had been misread by the transcriber!
I eventually got a copy of the actual parish record and realised what had happened.
Maiden name was McGrory but transcribed as McGarvey.

Anne

Anne

Maura

Maura Report 9 Jan 2012 18:10

Yes Ann it is,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Columba%27s_Church%2C_Long_Tower

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 9 Jan 2012 18:21

Thank you Maura.
All these wee bits of info confirm that I have located the correct ancestors.

My gg grandfather married both times in the SAME church.
His 2nd marriage confirms he was a widower, but does not name the 1st wife.
His death record however, provides the names of both wives.

Anne

Leyther

Leyther Report 10 Jan 2012 09:17

Wow - a lot of info here that I am going to certainly get stuck into : ) I am so thankful to you for this.

It is good that it lists Mother as Annie as that is the info I have been given.... Mother Annie, Father WILLIAM...children William James, Herbert Ellis, Wilfred & John... (Known as Jack). I have no idea whether or not the Brother were older or younger than WIlliam James.
YOur findings show Father Samuel and mentions farmer, and my Mother in Law says they lived on a farm...so wonder if she just got William James' Fathers name wrong? Afterall, she would be going off some old stories/memories?

I am also told the Father WIlliam (or Samuel?) died youngish and Annie re-married a man named McFarland? He was possibly in the navy.

Is there any way of linking this together now from the resources you have?

You are right though, I deffinately need to get a birth cert purchased now to see what Fathers name it gives...I have a feeling Samuel is correct afterall : )

Thanks again SO MUCH

Lorraine