Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh my Lord, lost all comments and detail from tree

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 19 Jan 2012 11:57

Thanks for your 'upgrade' Genes, have lost all the comments from my tree (detail under everyones names, my census research findings etc etc), years of work down the swanney. Will not be renewing ever.

Janet

Janet Report 19 Jan 2012 12:03

I have looked at my tree and they are working on it- with the message that none of the data will disappear. At the moment I cannot see any of my tree apart from my immediate family.-jl

RStar

RStar Report 19 Jan 2012 12:11

I hope they sort it Janet, I cant believe it. Why cant they just leave things?

Joy

Joy Report 19 Jan 2012 12:19

I do hope that you had a tree off this site?

RStar

RStar Report 19 Jan 2012 12:27

Only on Triblapages, I saved a gedcom a month ago so Ive uploaded that to TP now. I couldnt work out how to use Family Tree Maker :-( Im hoping Genes had the sense to back everything up...........

Joy

Joy Report 19 Jan 2012 12:28

If it was you that posted on facebook about it, and I posted this thread there, they have said " send any bugs to [email protected].".

Estelle

Estelle Report 19 Jan 2012 12:31

Hi everyone, we can assure you that nothing has been removed from your tree. Here is an explanation of where things are.
1). We no longer display the relation's details at the bottom of the tree. You'll see a tab to the right which you can click on and it will slide out. You'll see options for details, gallery, lifeline and clipboard.
2). Any records images that you attached to a relation will now display on the lifeline which you can see on the details tab.
3). Any notes you have added are also on the details tab. When you open it up you need to scroll down to the bottom to the Miscellaneous Details section.
If there's anything else you're unsure of then please let us know by adding to this thread or contacting our support team - [email protected].

Estelle

RStar

RStar Report 19 Jan 2012 12:46

Yup Joy, that was me. Estelle, I have over 12,000 on my tree but cant access the comments I typed in under each person. Do you have anything backed up? Also, where I have ticked the box as 'approx birthyear' the boxes are unticked. And photos are missing.

Estelle

Estelle Report 19 Jan 2012 12:50

Hi RomanyStar, this tree has been on the site for a while now, but we've just rolled it out to everyone. However, all the data should be there. It is really important that you send some examples of what is missing to our support team. We can then pass these details on to our technical team. I am sorry for any distress this is causing you but we will do our best to help you.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Jan 2012 12:58

Hi Romany, I like the new version and have been experimenting with it over the last couple of weeks. I think you will find that your details and comments etc are still there, you just need to do some exploring.

Have fun.

Cx.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 19 Jan 2012 13:01

I tried to put a couple of new ancestors on my tree and they have turned out totally mixed up.
I have John married to Jane with 4 children.
Child 3 is shown as married to child 4 and I keep getting message 'add a mother for child XX' when father and mother are already in place with date of marriage!
I don't think I'll be updating my tree on here any further till the bugs are ironed out.
(I'm contacting the support team too).

Sally

Sally Report 19 Jan 2012 13:14

hello

i do not like it before my surname fitted on now it does not so it looks like my family is not mine

i am sure that there are many more with a long surname not a happy bunny

sally w

ed all my details have gone as well

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 19 Jan 2012 13:15

Hi Romany,

I hope that you don't mind me butting in on your thread but whilst Estelle from GR is about I think that it provides an opportunity to ask her something.

Estelle,

Would you mind taking a look at some of the threads on the suggestions board. There are several threads that appear to be going unanswered by GR staff and the criticism of the site and GR staff for the lack of answers or explanations is growing more vehement by the day.

Here for example is a thread of mine:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1289317

There are numerous others.

I realise that it may not be your direct responsibility but if it isn't may I ask you to alert those whose it is and thus hopefully galvanise them into some form of action.

Many thanks.

EdenHart

EdenHart Report 19 Jan 2012 13:17

I can't get my tree to load at all - when I click on Immediate or Full Family I get this message even though I havent clicked on the Maps tab..

We are currently still working on the Maps feature but don’t worry, it will be back soon and none of your data will be lost.
In the meantime check out your family tree in the Immediate View.

But I can't get to my Immediate Family view! Just going round in circles!

Hope they get it sorted soon.

JerryH

JerryH Report 19 Jan 2012 13:40

I do not like the new format either and far prefferred the original simpleer format.
I have already suggested that the option for a split screen be brought back.
I see that one now has to click on record matches rather than see at a glance whether they relate to tree or other records.

There appear to be memory problems when trying to dosplay the tree and associate pages using IE8. It took 3 attempts to load the page and when I did try a tree match then I got an error message.

You may also like to look at this thread
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1288578

Not a happy bunny either.

crg

crg Report 19 Jan 2012 13:58

have just checked my tree and everything is there even photos but when i tried to look at someone on my tree the name came up but when i clicked on it nothing happens.

Ken2

Ken2 Report 19 Jan 2012 14:17

Anyone else having trouble with the Search This Tree facility?

Whenever I do a search for a name on my tree up pops a box with the found list. When I click on the name I want a new tree opens BUT still with the root person, not the searched for person!

Sally

Sally Report 19 Jan 2012 14:31

hello again

my sceen reader does not work now onthe details on my tree so it is impossible for me to do anything more on my tree

so now i will nt be able to cary on my tree on genes

so THANKS SO MUCH GENESFOR YOUR SO CALLED IMPROVEMENTS :-P

sally w

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 19 Jan 2012 14:53

I have looked at a few people and on The main page a guys surname is missing. When I open up the details it is there. :-| :-|

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 19 Jan 2012 15:13

I have just looked at a few people and, so far, everything seems to be working OK.

I rarely do any work on this tree, preferring to make changes off-line, on FTM, and doing a GEDCOM every so often. It will be interesting to see what happens next time.

Having everything on FTM means that at least I don't have to worry about GR's changes losing my hard work.