Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London Missionary Society

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 7 Feb 2012 17:43

My ancestor went as a missionary to China in the 19th century but I am unable to find out where she went and what she did out there. Can anyone help, please?

Libby

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 7 Feb 2012 18:08

if you google London missionary Society you get lots of hits including archives/history etc.

eg:
.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_London_Missionary_Society_missionaries_in_China

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Feb 2012 18:11

http://www.mundus.ac.uk/cats/4/251.htm

links to

http://www.soas.ac.uk/library/archives/

You could try searching the Archive, or contact the School of Oriental and African Studies at London University for advice

Edit - you could also do an internet search of your relative's name and Missionary, or China, and see if anything comes up

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 Feb 2012 20:11

Oooh. That brought some memories back. My childhood church used to support the LMS - haven't thought about them in years!!

Thanks for the memory!

Cx

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Sep 2012 16:20

Many thanks for your replies. I found that I had another aunt who was a missionary in China and even the district she worked in - all on the School of Oriental and African Studies.

Libby

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Sep 2012 17:47

Glad to hear we may have been of some help - and well done finding your way back to your thread, even if it did take you 7 months ;-)