Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London Missionary Society

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 7 Feb 2012 17:43

My ancestor went as a missionary to China in the 19th century but I am unable to find out where she went and what she did out there. Can anyone help, please?

Libby

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 7 Feb 2012 18:08

if you google London missionary Society you get lots of hits including archives/history etc.

eg:
.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_London_Missionary_Society_missionaries_in_China

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Feb 2012 18:11

http://www.mundus.ac.uk/cats/4/251.htm

links to

http://www.soas.ac.uk/library/archives/

You could try searching the Archive, or contact the School of Oriental and African Studies at London University for advice

Edit - you could also do an internet search of your relative's name and Missionary, or China, and see if anything comes up

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 Feb 2012 20:11

Oooh. That brought some memories back. My childhood church used to support the LMS - haven't thought about them in years!!

Thanks for the memory!

Cx

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Sep 2012 16:20

Many thanks for your replies. I found that I had another aunt who was a missionary in China and even the district she worked in - all on the School of Oriental and African Studies.

Libby

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Sep 2012 17:47

Glad to hear we may have been of some help - and well done finding your way back to your thread, even if it did take you 7 months ;-)