Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gloucestershire BMD Indexes online

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 5 May 2012 10:06

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but here is a link to this free online site:

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/MainMenu.aspx

I have found it very useful in my Gloucestershire searches and hope it helps others.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 May 2012 10:58

Thank you

The results for marriages seem really good, giving the correct spouse rather than a choice!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 May 2012 11:38

Thank you for that.

Great that venue is mentioned on marriage index.

Gwyn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 May 2012 11:47

The link is on a number of threads, but one more doesn't hurt

Gai

Gai Report 6 May 2012 01:26

Thanks for this link as I had forgotten about this website.

Gai

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 May 2012 05:44

There are similar local indexes at:

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 6 May 2012 21:31

Many thanks for the link mgnv, does anyone have any others, perhaps?

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 12 Aug 2013 07:02

I know that I am resurrecting an old thread, but I have a slightly related question.

I can order a BMD certificate at Gloucester registration service, which costs £10 or via GRO for £9.25.

I just wondered if there is any difference in the information/format of either of these, and if I would be better spending £10 to help keep my local Archive in business as that is where the registration service operates from.

Kense

Kense Report 12 Aug 2013 08:28

There shouldn't be any difference but for old certificates, the information sent to the GRO will have been copied by hand. If there is any discrepancy it is more likely that the local certificate will be more correct and may have the actual signatures on it.

JMW

JMW Report 12 Aug 2013 15:16

Just for clarification. The Gloucestershire Registration Service runs it's historic certificate production from Gloucestershire Archives for 'correct' storage conditions for old registers. Certificates from current registers/recent registrations are still issued via the Registrar holding the register.

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 15 Aug 2013 09:32

Many thanks for your responses,

Terry

Sally

Sally Report 16 Aug 2013 22:57

thankyou

sally w <3

mgnv

mgnv Report 17 Aug 2013 02:26

Terry - I once compared all the 1837 births in Leigh RD 0n FreeBMD - a relatively small RD (222 births on FreeBMD) with the local index from LancsBMD. There were a number of mistranscriptions on both sites - I had LancsBMD check my list of differences, and they modified their entries where appropriate - I also submitted a number of corrections to FreeBMD.

There were 2 interesting things I found - firstly there were maybe 9 unnamed kids on FreeBMD that LancsBMD named - in answer to my query, they were all named in column 10 - the "baptismal" name column. I presume these changes were forwarded to the GRO, but they never changed their index, so I can't say for sure.

Secondly, all the marrs took place in 2 C of E churches. However, I'm surprised there's nowt in the registrar's own marr rego - maybe it took a while for rego office marrs to catch on. However, that rego recorded all non-conformist marrs - and there were several non-conformist churches and chapels around in 1837 Leigh, but no marrs for them.

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 25 Aug 2013 15:48

Thanks for your replies. I have also found the following web link, which is an ongoing project by Pete (sorry I don't know his surname - I found this on Rootschat.com:

http://www.gloucestershire-ancestry.co.uk/resources

It says "Are you researching your Gloucestershire family history? Here are some links to online genealogy resources you might not be aware of and which can help you."

Terry

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 27 Aug 2013 11:33

Terry -

That's a really useful link, many thanks :-D