Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wartime Affair

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maxwell

Maxwell Report 3 Jul 2012 11:11

Update Profile
Maxwell Report Edit Delete 20 Jun 2012 05:55

Following the recent death of her parents, an aunt told my wife Sue, she had been adopted. She said,during WW2 her mother Nancy Woods had an affair with a Captain in the US Navy and became pregnant. Unfortunately his name is unknown. Sue was born in Sydney, Australia on the 8th of January 1941.
I imagine U.S. military personnel would have been required to fill in a form giving details of who they would like notified in the event of their death and I am hoping perhaps that included wives and or girl friends.
Can you please tell me if there is some way my wife can discover the name of her biological father whose name does not appear on her birth certificate

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2012 11:21

I would imagine it would be next of kin to be informed in case of death on personnel documents. Not wishing to be disrespectful but guys could have had many girlfriends so not practical to put names on any official documents.

Doesn't the aunt have any idea of a name ?

is there any adoption file for your wife .it may contain more info

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Jul 2012 11:26

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/general_chat/thread/1302480

Why not just post 'nudge' on that thread? It will bring it back to the top of the board.

Duplicate posts (as this is) are not permitted under GR's guidelines. :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Jul 2012 11:34

I'd delete the one on General rather than this one? ...it has no answers and is really on the 'wrong' board for this type of query I think.

You could look at this site?

http://www.tracepw.org/aboutus

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Jul 2012 11:42

US military personnel would have been asked to provide details of their next of kin.......if unmarried, this would be a parent (if living) or a sibling.

As the father is not named on her birth cert, tracing him would be virtually impossible - unless there is some reference to him on the adoption papers.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Jul 2012 17:44

why have you made yet another posting on the same thing when you have failed to revisit any of them

jax

jax Report 4 Jul 2012 18:05

The other post was his original thread on Chat....not a new one

Maxwell

Maxwell Report 6 Jul 2012 01:32

As suggested by Jaz I have deleted my first post.
Max

Maxwell

Maxwell Report 6 Jul 2012 01:36

The Australian Government agency DOCS was not able to provide any adoption documentation.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jul 2012 05:17

If her own mother raised her .................

then who adopted her????????????????????????

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Jul 2012 08:32

Step-father?

Maxwell

Maxwell Report 6 Jul 2012 13:39

Yes Cecil was her step-father

jax

jax Report 6 Jul 2012 14:27

If he was a captain in the US navy he was more than likely married anyway. If it was just an aunt who told her this, could it just be a story?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jul 2012 05:02

It is possible that "Cecil" did not in fact officially adopt her.

I'm sure that I have read somewhere that in the UK, and also I think in Canada, when a stepfather adopts his wife's child, that means the wife also has to adopt her own child

It is quite possible that your wife was just listed under her stepfather's name, with no official adoption taking place.

sylvia

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Jul 2012 12:55

Sylvia, you are right in that in the case of a stepfather adopting his wife's child the mother also 'adopts ' her own child. Certainly the case in the 1950s, I assume before and since also.
:-)

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 16 Dec 2012 06:16

Hey Max

Just wondering if you'd had any luck?

Have you tried www.benevolent.org.au/connect/post--adoption--support

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Dec 2012 17:50

My guess is that you are in with a chance of working this out.

Make sure you have the birth cert. as the date is critical.

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was in Dec 1942. US naval visits to Australia in 1940 were infrequent and very likely would have been reported in Sydney ocal newspapers as the usual reason for the peacetime (for the US) visits would be to "show the flag." The Sydney Morning Herald archive is online, free.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q&l-decade=194&l-title=35

Thus you are looking for a US naval visit Q1/2 1940. Most likely there would have been several ships in a flotilla. Each ship has of course only one captain. It is also possible that the captain was with the US Embassy as an attache and not on board a ship at all. It is also possible that the guy was actually not in the US Navy at all but in the US Merchant Marine in which case you have much less chance.

Here are the US Navy Muster Rolls from 19438-1949
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1143

Sometimes dna testing can yield results.

Of course if you do work out who the captain was it does not follow that his descendants will be interested or helpful, they could even be downright hostile.

good luck

jax

jax Report 16 Dec 2012 19:54

Maxwell did not return in July so may not be looking in now